Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - winter proper underway

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
5 hours ago, A Frayed Knot said:

At least SANTA emptied his sack the day before ' God bless him x

The poor man would have been in all kinds of trouble if that came when his sack was full. Some interest in the latter stage of the ECM and following a similar theme to what others have been showing. An attempt to split the vortex. I wouldn't bet against some interesting cold scenarios appearing soon.

ECH1-240.gif

• Like 5

Posted

The t144 on the ukmo looks like a Northerly would develop afterwards.Dont know why people are so surprised the bbc are forecasting Northerly winds just after Xmas looking at current output.

• Like 3

Posted

There is no evidence that I can see to indicate that the suggested forthcoming displacement, in the medium term, of the trop vortex over northern Canada is anything other than temporary and it is quickly back in place on the ext EPS with the Alaskan ridge perhaps reorienting and nudging west towards Siberia.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

There is no evidence that I can see to indicate that the suggested forthcoming displacement, in the medium term, of the trop vortex is anything other than temporary and it is quickly back in place on the ext EPS with the Alaskan ridge perhaps reorienting and nudging west towards Siberia.

It does look pretty climatological Nina knocks - perhaps a bit too straightforward on the mean. Of course, if the op is sniffing a direction of travel then all bets on that mean are probably off ........

for the time being, I wouldnt back the op against the vast majority of 49 ens runs @ 14km resolution! 

(I say 49 because the control is similar over the pole to the op )

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It does look pretty climatological Nina knocks - perhaps a bit too straightforward on the mean. Of course, if the op is sniffing a direction of travel then all bets on that mean are probably off ........

for the time being, I wouldnt back the op against the vast majority of 49 ens runs @ 14km resolution! 

(I say 49 because the control is similar over the pole to the op )

Its probably academic at day 10 but can i ask what you make of EC day 10

ECH1-240.GIF?19-12

Could that wedge of heights over Greenland assist in forcing the jet south? Or would we see the az high ridging into Europe and everything flattening out thereatfer..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Very cold here winter wonderland in the south east this morning this is not mild to me. Maybe some unsettled weather come wet and windy but not long lasting then back to blocked pattern then a more cold dry outlook 

IMG_0063.PNG

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

GFS and ECM completely different at D7. GFS wants to bomb us with a very deep low, with a big dollop of the PV to our north and the ECM not really interested in either of those ideas. I know which one my money is on. ECM looks far more plausible to me, especially with those heights digging into the arctic from the other side of the NH. 

B1B49E32-D54C-4549-874C-79BE95806DA6.thumb.png.4e83a6507024e9aa4613d9d5a0f9b9c3.png01C48349-97BB-4108-9986-D63AC55EFE81.thumb.png.6f65f2d693993d933413403d8a87af56.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

ECH1-240.GIF?19-12

Could that wedge of heights over Greenland assist in forcing the jet south? Or would we see the az high ridging into Europe and everything flattening out thereatfer..

I'm not blue, obviously, but if that pattern were to verify, here's how I would see it play out...

That Azores HP is (from that point, I stress) looking to push into Europe.  It does not appear to be a retrogressing pattern - there is too much energy coming off the east coast of North America..  However, with a little MJO help, the jet may yet soon afterwards (3-4 days perhaps) buckle underneath into Iberia and allow the HP to build into Scandinavia from that point, while the lobe of PV sitting over Siberia progresses just a little to the east (it may retrogress later with enough jet buckling).  With a strengthening Arctic high and a buckling jet assisting by sending energy into the Med, a significant cold pool is then able to flow down through Scandinavia and build into E/NE Europe.

That is the only route to a lengthy cold spell I see currently (from that scenario!), apart from transient coldish shots from the W/NW.

Edited by Nick B
don't seem to know my east from west
  • Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

GFS and ECM completely different at D7. GFS wants to bomb us with a very deep low, with a big dollop of the PV to our north and the ECM not really interested in either of those ideas. I know which one my money is on. ECM looks far more plausible to me, especially with those heights digging into the arctic from the other side of the NH. 

B1B49E32-D54C-4549-874C-79BE95806DA6.thumb.png.4e83a6507024e9aa4613d9d5a0f9b9c3.png01C48349-97BB-4108-9986-D63AC55EFE81.thumb.png.6f65f2d693993d933413403d8a87af56.png

We have got to hope the ecm op is on to something here. The Pacific ridge will be difficult to forecast but the changes are in the relatively short time frame. This is good news as we will not have long to wait before we know the true direction. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Well there we have it. I think the UKMO output will look like the latest run from NAVGEM at mid- day Boxing Day. The cold front on Christmas Day slowing sinks into Southern Britain and starts its return back as a warm front on Boxing Day.  However, the process back into mild is not without interest as the chart below shows the upper cold getting in place again to the North and East. Could see some really interesting developments in the period to the end of the year.

C

NVGOPEU00_180_2.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
19 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

We have got to hope the ecm op is on to something here. The Pacific ridge will be difficult to forecast but the changes are in the relatively short time frame. This is good news as we will not have long to wait before we know the true direction. 

Yes agreed we shouldn’t have to wait to long. Looking at the GFS, UKMO and ECM at +144, the GFS really does look the odd one out in terms of the amount of energy in the PV lobe to our northeast. I’d say it would be difficult for the UKMO to resemble the GFS 168 chart as it is more Akin to the ECM at the same time frame with the PV lobe and the heights pushing into the Arctic.

76A5AD05-5BD1-4A34-A0F4-7ACD2384E2ED.thumb.png.13eb61782a4f32522376dc8443bf0bff.pngC32B9DF4-B0E6-4A5E-BB16-B54DA9BA25F4.thumb.png.54ad4676a1ac0741d729e4a90943e4e2.png498421BF-C3F4-4AF8-AB1C-CDAFF732FE16.thumb.gif.a97aae7aa5122fe00a21801d77712cc1.gif

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

ECH1-240.GIF?19-12

You’re right NWS - too academic for analysis 

The Atlantic profile will be different as there is a further push of WAA from the pacific

lets get the detail on any polar amplification to day 5/6 first as they have a habit of not counting down very well ! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

I think GFS is going for the split again. Return of the Alaskan ridge.

gfsnh-0-162.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The massive question???

Can we see waa digging in @greenland on further runs???

I think we may!?...

Then the fun and games get unfolding.....!!!

gfsnh-0-168.png

Screenshot_2017-12-19-10-17-58.png

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

The massive question???

Can we see waa digging in @greenland on further runs???

I think we may!?...

Then the fun and games get unfolding.....!!!

gfsnh-0-168.png

Screenshot_2017-12-19-10-17-58.png

We could do with a slither of higher pressure slicing up in between the two PV lobes to separate them(bottom frame).

Is it out of the question on future runs?!?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I think this thread might be livelier than expected.  Not for big freeze but some very stormy and active weather which may well have enough cold involved for wintryness too

Of interest yesterday saw the 100th spotless day this year and we haven’t reached minimum yet, not anticipated until 2019/20 so the only way is down.

I am very keen on this Xmas period, in the winter hopes thread on 7th Dec I mentioned anticipated strong solar wind hit around 22nd.  Well today we have Earth facing Coronal hole with strong solar winds anticipated to arrive 21/22nd bang on cue (info courtesy of space weather).  Let’s see what develops from here.  My thoughts on this are jetstream effects (meandering more/ southward shift) and increase in depth/strength of LPs.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Very unusual!!!

We begin to tap into fridgid american air!!!

I think this is what m-ventrice has been aluding to-of late...

Regarding-nw-europe...and the such unsual aspects of such..... synoptics' and evolvement.

Edit:..

I can see a million and one way for a feasible/decent route to cold emerging....going into the new year.

Re-edit ok maybe not that many(million+1)..

But you get the gist...??

gfsnh-1-228.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Brutal cold over much of the USA anticipated in 7 days time I wonder what effect this may have down the road for us