Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - winter proper underway

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

6Z just looks very very wet - no easterly that i can see...

Trend there - split PV, it would happen down the line - all the GFS is at that range is one ensemble member, look through the GEFS suite when it comes out and see how many have that massive split of the PV.

@swfc its been showing reasonably consistently now albeit with differing levels of greatness wrt UK potential snow setups.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The progression we're seeing the models explore (somewhat inefficiently perhaps, but getting there) is one in which the Canadian vortex has a window in which to venture towards Europe via Greenland, but then comes under attack from upstream changes with the Pacific ridge heading back poleward and initiating a buckling of the jet pattern that should encourage the vortex lobe to come apart a bit, with some getting pulled back into N. America while the rest either heads into Europe (as either a large organised trough as 00z ECM tries for or a smaller one following trough disruption as per the 00z) or digs south in the middle-N. Atlantic. 

The former resembles our predominant pattern of Nov-Dec so far, but tweaked to allow for more the way of Scandinavian height rises as a follow-up to the trough dropping in. The latter is a different path, more like we had to go through in Nov 2009 - and laden with the risk of some mild, wet weather while we wait for ridging to make its way sufficiently north from Europe to turn the tables in favour of cold. This manner of evolution has a habit of drying out just as it turns cold enough for snow, though.

GFS 06z is very much the latter scenario. 

npsh500.png h850t850eu.png

This setup is also easy to tilt unfavourably with a bit of climatological bias and/or over-deepening of troughs, which I believe explains some of the less than inspiring ensemble behaviour of late. 

h850t850eu.png

It is for reasons like this that the festive period has a valid stormy weather risk, but given the (at least) equally plausible alternative scenario of a trough setting up over Europe again, I'm not inclined to expect a windy washout route at this stage. 

npsh500.png

GFS still managed to get quite close in the end on a hemispheric scale - a nice interpretation of the Pacific-Scandi relationship, shame about that dartboard low!

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, tight isobar said:

As i suggested-previous post-.. not wriiten off yet-12z- 

But if you fail to see a backtrack via gfs then i just dont know??

Given that after 240 things get interesting ...but when dint they of late via gfs model..

Lets see where we are @tea time!!??

I don’t see a backtrack as such still interested in amplification in D7 now even the ECM clusters are solidly behind it that is a GFS win here immaterial to final outcome.

GFS 06z ends on an interesting note again height rises to N/NE. Reasons to be optimistic IMO.

A0EEF1BB-1956-414D-9991-FEFC2A2C4454.thumb.png.0679a7af8140c95de1e43fe09ed31895.png

• Like 5

GFS 6z, can't upload any charts atm but really liking that high pressure sat over or close to southern UK throughout next week, some decent prolonged dry, mild perhaps even sunny weather at times for the run up to Christmas. It's not until Boxing Day, it could turn wet and very windy albeit very mild in the west but of course that's a long way off. 

Edited by Dafydd Tomos
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I don’t see a backtrack as such still interested in amplification in D7 now even the ECM clusters are solidly behind it that is a GFS win here immaterial to final outcome.

GFS 06z ends on an interesting note again height rises to N/NE. Reasons to be optimistic IMO.

A0EEF1BB-1956-414D-9991-FEFC2A2C4454.thumb.png.0679a7af8140c95de1e43fe09ed31895.png

The amplification at day 7 is not a sustainable one 

The 06z op is not that far removed from the 00z in evolution with the jet headed for Iberia and building height rises to our ne over time 

bit of patience required as might not happen first bite at the cherry as singularity has referenced  above 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Just a question from me . The last cold / snowy snap that we just had last weekend didn't the pattern keep backing up west as we got closer to the cold spell . Just thinking it may do the same this time around the 23rd + 24th . Or am I wrong ? ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
1 hour ago, TEITS said:

I find the difference between GFS & other models fasinating. Yet again we see the GFS Op run supported by the GEFS control.

t850Cambridgeshire.png

For the sake of everyones sanity it is best to assume the GFS is wrong and that Xmas is likely to be mild. However I certainly wouldn't be willing to bet on this just yet!

Beyond Xmas and I shall repeat myself by saying a return to a colder pattern is much more likely to come from N/NW than the NE/E.

Yes any cold is more likely from the nw as i posted yesterday- looking at eps/gefs again this morning pretty much confirms this.

Overall it does promise a pretty mobile outlook with the Canadian trough extending well into the Atlantic as we approach the holiday period. Apart from the upstream ridge,the Atlantic jet looks comparatively flat however  with cold air close by to the north it wouldn't take much buckling of the jet to bring it south behind passing frontal systems.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The amplification at day 7 is not a sustainable one 

The 06z op is not that far removed from the 00z in evolution with the jet headed for Iberia and building height rises to our ne over time 

bit of patience required as might not happen first bite at the cherry as singularity has referenced  above 

Well regardless this may change. I only see one example of a somewhat sustainable ridge amongst 00z GEFS. Perb 13 hopefully thirteen is not unlucky in this case. :D 

5973EF1B-3847-4D83-8B8A-622121BC0E36.thumb.png.b28652e89d220cb3474d29f307e4017b.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

Posted

GFS 06Z looks pretty good with HP influences over scandi around christmas and towards new year, frosts and dry weather for many parts of europé expect England, we have seen far worse than this

• Like 1

Posted

I can’t take 3 monthly means as worth anything re detail

a single month is difficult enough to draw any conclusions from but 90 days!!

we could have two weeks of wintry nirvana second half jan with that pattern shown on the tweet for the remainder of the period and we wouldn’t see it. 

We also wouldn’t see repeating wedges of heights which could lead to sliders on that chart -  you can make a prediction that the three months is likely to return an above average temp profile but that’s about all !

I don’t see a euro high btw !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

GEFS 6z for Porthcawl (nr Swansea) shows milder weather returning, especially in the upper air temperatures and a quick rise in pressure from now, quite a strong high pressure too approaching 1040mb with 12-13C possible by Tuesday before turning a bit cooler, as expected precipitation looks fairly low (although there are a few 'spikes') until Christmas on this run, so a very different feel after the cold weather we've had so far this month. 

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Edited by Draig Goch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
11 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Ghastly evocative to Winter 2013/2014 no thanks! 

Difficulty with 3 month mean charts over Jan-March, as mentioned by @bluearmy above, is that they could contain 5 weeks of blocking in Jan / early Feb of various intensity followed by 8 weeks zonality or vice versa.

In short, not particularly helpful! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Difficulty with 3 month mean charts over Jan-March, as mentioned by @bluearmy above, is that they could contain 5 weeks of blocking in Jan / early Feb of various intensity followed by 8 weeks zonality or vice versa.

In short, not particularly helpful! 

True, but definitely a deeply unsettled winter it depicts especially for the NW. All three also suggests the jet stream will be more S than climatological norm, so we may get on the cold side of some quite inclement wintry weather. Best thing as blue says no strong signal for a Euro high dominated winter which often is the spanner in the works.

• Like 1

Posted

Looking through the ec clusters and the theme of the gfs 00z and 06z ops is not without reasonable support. 

I would certainly be looking at this general evolution becoming more evident as we head through week 2

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Looking through the ec clusters and the theme of the gfs 00z and 06z ops is not without reasonable support. 

I would certainly be looking at this general evolution becoming more evident as we head through week 2

Yes on balance i agree blue- think patience is going to be required for any meaningful cold- my issue is once a zonal set up gets going (in recent years esp), it becomes a huge task to shift it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
10 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes on balance i agree blue- think patience is going to be required for any meaningful cold- my issue is once a zonal set up gets going (in recent years esp), it becomes a huge task to shift it!

Indeed, it becomes almost impossible to shift and if thats the theme going into January well that this is a worrying trend that we have seen a lot in recent winters.

gensnh-21-1-240.png

gensnh-21-1-384.png

Edited by snowray
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Quite right about zonal but this isn’t like normal winters for us, so far anyway so I don’t think any zonal will be as stubborn to shift as normal. We shall see

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

a zonal flow into Iberia will be just fine  .......................

Haha yes blue it certainly would!!

Watching brief for me for a few days- hope things move in a positive direction for the coldies over the subsequent NWP outputs...

Fingers crossed...:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
30 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

a zonal flow into Iberia will be just fine  .......................

Some hope in the ECM clusters for that Blue:).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Looks like we are going negative toward New year

ao.sprd2.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I see tropical storm Kai-tak has formed near the Philippines and is due to track west over the Philippines and in to the South China Sea. Could this be a potential spanner in the works?

F541ABC6-6600-4D5E-AB0A-8CA6FAD37409.thumb.png.1413a1a4835f2c52535e7cb2b5f97d10.png

we would prefer to see these moving out into the Pacific?

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I see tropical storm Kai-tak has formed near the Philippines and is due to track west over the Philippines and in to the South China Sea. Could this be a potential spanner in the works?

F541ABC6-6600-4D5E-AB0A-8CA6FAD37409.thumb.png.1413a1a4835f2c52535e7cb2b5f97d10.png

we would prefer to see these moving out into the Pacific?

I remember from before that they need to go into the north Pacific to affect our weather

• Thanks 2