Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - winter proper underway

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

18z GFS op perhaps a reality check, given the 12z operational was at the colder end of its own ensemble spread and also against the EC ensembles for London

GEFS_plot.thumb.png.deef79fd46a48f096aeb8458802db160.pngensemble-tt6-london.thumb.gif.bd6cc93467257d033b3ca7dc7b3b7768.gif

Still think we will see changes for the better as we approach New Year, but 06z and 12z GFS ops perhaps a tad too quick with the pattern change.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

18z GFS op perhaps a reality check, given the 12z operational was at the colder end of its own ensemble spread and also against the EC ensembles for London

GEFS_plot.thumb.png.deef79fd46a48f096aeb8458802db160.pngensemble-tt6-london.thumb.gif.bd6cc93467257d033b3ca7dc7b3b7768.gif

Still think we will see changes for the better as we approach New Year, but 06z and 12z GFS ops perhaps a tad too quick with the pattern change.

So best to keep money in pocket for no White Christmas.:nonono:

I was expecting some volatile output and some quite unusual synoptics as models come to terms with the anticipated broader pattern change around Christmas to early January but this is absolutely bizarre. 

GEFS 18z Perturbation 5:

From this at T+276                                       to this at T+324                                         and to this at T+384

gensnh-5-1-276.png            gensnh-5-1-324.png               gensnh-5-1-384.png 

Nothing exceptional on the first chart. That LP on the middle chart has a central pressure below 915 mb - very close to an all time Atlantic record.  Nearby we have an HP over 1050 mb.  A couple of days later, under the strain they just break apart!!!  Even by GFS standards this takes the biscuit (to put it politely!).  More than just a pub run special - a flat out pre Christmas pub crawl.

Well, quite a few of us are expecting something memorable and whatever transpires full marks to the GFS for entertainment value!

EDIT: record low is 914 mb on 8.1.93  (and 882 mb for a hurricane in October 2005)

Edited by Guest
Correct typos and check charts

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

True to GFS's unpredictable nature, after being a cold outlier for the 12Z, The 18Z appears a milder outlier in the 18Z ensembles. 

Diagramme GEFS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, ShortWaveHell said:

00z Gfs Christmas Day miracle , a beast awakens :cold:

Yep, great run and this will please many waking up on here today ...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

What a difference 6 hours makes. Run of the decade this 00z!! 

Sorry to ramp, but to me, the right building blocks look well in place this year. Very different parameters compared to the last few years, low sunspots, no El Niño and an E QBO and a shabby PV certainly compared to the last few winters. 

• Like 3

Posted

Not a huge amount of ENS support but a few with interest and definitely some attempts at Scandy hights and split PVs. 

A live image of Wanlockhead just to get us in the mood, just to show that there's still plenty of snow still falling out there this week. 

IMG_5595.PNG

• Like 8

Posted
25 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Not a huge amount of ENS support but a few with interest and definitely some attempts at Scandy hights and split PVs. 

A live image of Wanlockhead just to get us in the mood, just to show that there's still plenty of snow still falling out there this week. 

IMG_5595.PNG

At 1460ft asl and 2nd highest village in Scotland it probably gets its fair share, I know what you mean though ?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Ali1977 said:

Yep, great run and this will please many waking up on here today ...

Dont think ive ever seen a northern hemisphere chart like this during the winter....?

GFSOPNH00_384_1.png

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Very cold GFS 00z operational in the mid term, U.K. sitting under a cold high Christmas Day with an easterly influence. Would be very seasonal.

Though a big outlier on the ensembles, GFS keeps doing this, with the op out of kilter.

IMG_3009.thumb.PNG.3021513026237b2c2783c5e35898ff1c.PNG

Edited by chris55

Posted

GFS looks great!! Scandy high building over christmas period!!

EC however.....

gfs again showing the strat warming over christmas

gfsnh-10-384.png?0

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Good looking oz from gfs.however the difference between ecm is massive and really odd imo.not even close to a middle ground at 240hrs!!!!!!

• Like 2

Posted

EC day 10

ECH1-240.GIF?14-12

Wonder if the picture would improve thereafter with the jet digging SE and the azores high getting dragged westwards..

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

0z demonstrating to us that zonal mild atlantic just isnt going to happen for long periods of time. Significant change to colder synoptics expeced around Christmas if these last few runs of the gfs are to believed. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
1 hour ago, KTtom said:

Dont think ive ever seen a northern hemisphere chart like this during the winter....?

GFSOPNH00_384_1.png

I want to believe 

S71214-072816.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Ecm mean and anomoly finally showing what part of gfs ops has been on the right page and not surprisingly it’s a bit more amplification around day 8 to our west 

that makes the trough to our east that bit sharper which helps make e Europe colder (spread also has that colder air making a glancing blow to e side uk) 

Also takes our ridge that bit further north 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ecm mean and anomoly finally showing what part of gfs ops has been on the right page and not surprisingly it’s a bit more amplification around day 8 to our west 

that makes the trough to our east that bit sharper which helps make e Europe colder 

Also takes our ridge that bit further north 

Well thats a positive this morningblue :)

GFS (yes i know its gfs) 00z op showing quite a warming in the strat over christmas period..

EC looks flatter than ukmo 144 -

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
57 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

GFS looks great!! Scandy high building over christmas period!!

EC however.....

gfs again showing the strat warming over christmas

gfsnh-10-384.png?0

I'm sorry showing a warming repeatedly  at 384hrs is absolutely useless, we can't even get these to come in fruition within the 200 mark so what's the point? 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

I'm sorry showing a warming repeatedly  at 384hrs is absolutely useless, we can't even get these to come in fruition within the 200 mark so what's the point? 

I know :)

Although the warming at 10Pha does get going before 384

gfsnh-10-288.png?0

Hopefully the Berlin day 10 will be good news ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The whole month is looking colder than expected and indeed I see potential for Development of a major Scandinavia block as we head to New Year, much earlier than initially thought.  However, if it does I question what influence it will have

Above is an extract from my winter LRF update musings on 5th Dec.  I am definitely in the GFS camp here and think it is barking up the RIGHT tree.  00z turns it very mild at the end....hence my musings on its influence.  

ECM played catchup with last cold outbreak 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted

Didn't the Ecm struggle with the upstream pattern(too flat)before our previous cold spell?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, joggs said:

Didn't the Ecm struggle with the upstream pattern(too flat)before our previous cold spell?

i think it did joggs i remember posts about how it was unusual to see the gfs going for more amplification than the usually over amplifying ecm

• Thanks 1