Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - winter proper underway

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

6z GFS Op run would be a nice Christmas present for coldies.

Comparing that run to the ens though we see a big divergence to cold against the majority around day 10 onwards.

graphe3_1000_262_95___.gif

The Op run finds the extra amplification of the Azores high which diverts the path of the northern jet out of Canada and within a short time we see the split with more energy forced south

gfsnh-5-324.png?6

leaving us with a cut off high cell and the easterly underneath.A classic evolution to an easterly coming off the amplified Azores high-it's not always a pain you see.

Unfortunately it is a minority solution at the  moment with in the gefs and the extended eps showing no interest yet either.

All that can be said though is that it is a possible outcome given we achieve that amount of ridging as even a strong looking vortex segment to our nw can be tamed in such circumstances.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Signs of life once again from the GFS which at least is playing with some different solutions towards day 10 as opposed to the ECM.

I'd be less willing to believe in the Christmas Miracle of 2017 if the MJO wasn't on the move and expected to enter some favourable phases.

• Like 9

Posted
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Signs of life once again from the GFS which at least is playing with some different solutions towards day 10 as opposed to the ECM.

I'd be less willing to believe in the Christmas Miracle of 2017 if the MJO wasn't on the move and expected to enter some favourable phases.

Yes the mjo forecasts sound OK nick... wonder if something else is going to over ride that signal?

Perhaps nina is a little too strong.

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

It does seem to happen a lot 06z is more amplified than 00z I can't stick my finger why, this is probably coincidental nothing changes merely the time the run comes out. 

different basic data goes in might be part of the reason, somewhere in the Net Wx learner area is information about this. But not sure how up to date it is.

Posted

Lets hope we see more charts like this from 06z run this morning.gfsnh-0-384_zoz6.thumb.png.05046c3ef31ed3eeaa8bd51be4851ad3.png

This would probably lead to a very long and protracted bitterly cold and wintry spell for Europe and the UK. Now that is what I would call the start of a big freeze. Here's hoping.

Edited by comet
  • Like 4

Posted

Thank you very much @Tamara and @Steve Murr - if you and our other experts get together and write a book named "Teleconnections made simple" I will be your first customer, as I really need to get my head round all this stuff!!

Until then I'm stuck with interpreting model output data - and it looks like the GFS 12Z is repeating its trick from the 06Z of a fresh WAA burst towards the southern tip of Greenland

gfs-0-192.png?12

and actually even better!!

gfs-0-216.png?12

What a tease this model is. Still, as I explained earlier, this is the very pattern I have been watching and hoping might emerge for the past few days. Let's see if any other models will follow in the next 48 hours!!

• Like 8

Posted
4 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

gfs-0-192.png?12

could lead to a rather could Northerly this.(note a further correction west)

Indeed. The Atlantic height rises are getting more pronounced as each run goes by. A good trend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Never mind the Northerly bit, this is going to turn into a ridiculous Easterly as the high topples, exept this time via  more plausable and less convoluted route.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

GFS shows a wave 3 attack at D10

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Never mind the Northerly bit, this is going to turn into a ridiculous Easterly as the high topples, exept this time via  more plausable and less convoluted route.

Was thinking the same, the correction west and North will lead to a better Easterly assuming the same outcome of collapsing high.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Ought to bring snow to Scotland, NI and the east coast of England, at least? Typical Friday!:D

h850t850eu.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

h850t850eu.pngwell the mild spell does'nt look like lasting long at all on tonights gfs12z. are we starting to see signs that GP tamara steve murr have been alluding to this evening.Think the model watching could become fun again in the days ahead,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Mild spell looks in a bit of bother on the 12z GFS. That date around the 22nd again. Much more amplification across the Pacific and Atlantic sides.

The million dollar question stewart...is it plausable one wonders!!

Posted

Without a doubt the strong MJO and subsequent warming early November in the strat has pre-conditioned the atmosphere making it much more susceptible to MJO forcings etc. Great run this from the 12z gfs.

• Like 1