Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - winter proper underway

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

yesterday's 12z ensembles weren't without interest!!!

ensemble-tt6-london.thumb.gif.b177e59e6900ebfc28765d2d4232c3e2.gif

New one's will be out within the hour, can we get some momentum towards cold around or just after Christmas Day 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

the trend continues...

gfsnh-0-360.thumb.png.cd67e35ee2bd5e57bfa94a80cadadcc4.png

e00277a84929830fd79d31c1ef639646--jazz-club-jazz-nice.thumb.jpg.df477771bbbb138e686f34826ffb526a.jpg

Pure fantasy! At this stage the gfs shows that bombing low in the Atlantic move northwestwards! lol

Posted

So just like yesterday the 06Z teases us with a much more promising outlook. Shame the GFS doesn't go out to +400 because my word we would be drooling!

Still back to reality and unless this new amplified trend is shown on subsequent runs then I shall put it down to an outlier due to it being the 06Z run.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
8 minutes ago, Dafydd Tomos said:

GFS 6z continues this theme too, could be more snow over S & SW England as well as the far South of Wales than Sunday if this verifies. 

Just a quick word re: the snowy looking GFS projections for tonight / Thursday morning ...

gfs_ptype_slp_uk2_3.thumb.png.16fd2277ad61f5ac8748765177503ef0.pnggfs_ptype_slp_uk2_4.thumb.png.d8fff34665d4b63644ca34b01bcd9712.png

IMO GFS always progs dew points too low in a NWly regime, so any snow likely only settling over the hills in the north and west. There could be some wet snow mixed in with the heavier bursts / showers at low levels, even in the south and east, but unlikely to settle unless with height.

Could be treacherous over the higher routes of Wales and N England in the morning though.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
5 minutes ago, TEITS said:

So just like yesterday the 06Z teases us with a much more promising outlook. Shame the GFS doesn't go out to +400 because my word we would be drooling!

Still back to reality and unless this new amplified trend is shown on subsequent runs then I shall put it down to an outlier due to it being the 06Z run.

You mean you haven't had a quick rummage around to check where you'd put that sledge wax TEITS?

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
28 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Well, the Azores high is a semi-permanent ridge, part of a belt of sub-tropical high pressure systems around the northern hemisphere, Californian high and Bermuda High to name but a few. So probably why it doesn't move much and often we see it extend into Europe when the trop PV is strong to our NW.

Brilliant. Thank you nick . 

Posted

I have no confidence in that gfs solution and yet I’m reminded that I have thought (and posted) that a change from the more  ‘zonal’ outlook with the ridging closer tot the uk will be picked up first by the ops rather than the ens 

I guess for the time being, the comment that yesterdays dull 18z run was nothing more than a rehash of a 12z gefs member is just as true of  the 06z being a re hash of a 00z gefs one. I’m sure there was a similar run in there !! 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted

The Op was the pick of the run, but you can see some of the other ensembles (far from a majority solution) smell something similar in the extended range, even if they do end up at different places.

Bigger takeaway being that many of them favour a move away from mild, even if they get there in slightly different ways and don't give anything particular cold along the way.

Edited by jvenge

Posted

ThInking back to winters past 2009/10 and 2012/13 where we saw a mundane model outlook suddenly change, I recall the ops showed a fair bit of continuity once they stumbled across the new route of travel and a ridge thrown to our ne was often the precursor. 

However, the models (op and ens) are now running at much higher resolutions. 

There is nothing to do here but wait and watch !!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Anybody calling mild for the rest of the month is very brave in my opinion.

We are certainly now looking at a milder spell of weather (at least 850s wise) starting Monday until around Friday next week but anything after that is up for grabs in my opinion.

The GEFS this morning show a huge scatter from the weekend before Christmas onwards and the 6z GFS op run also shows what is possible at short notice with the current setup.

Game On!  :santa-emoji:

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Ali1977 said:

If verified that Scandy high would be prolonged and very cold, let's hope some ENS support is on its way.

There’s not much the operationals will tend to lead the way ECM god forbid, 2 will do. :good:

C0DE6A85-0FEC-4A52-A419-0AF2ED0851FC.thumb.png.f27cbc3be911922fd11987535d4e488b.png3909F819-28A7-4233-9F23-723084BF8675.thumb.png.fcf35f6f7585a8503e0b43620a547146.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
15 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Anybody calling mild for the rest of the month is very brave in my opinion.

Game On!  :santa-emoji:

Absolutely agree, KS: to call anything would, IMO, be fruitless... At the same time, the high degree of model-uncertainty is (both of itself and in conjunction with the long-term signals to which GP and Tamara allude) a good enough reason for optimism...I think!:santa-emoji:

• Like 4

The way the ensembles have shown such huge scatter for a few days has given rise to some optimism of a return to cold conditions. It was probably inevitable that at least one of the operationals would pursue a cold perturbation. It will be very interesting to see the 6z ens. I'm expecting the scatter to be huge again, with plenty of mild members. It's the trending for which we're watching. If increasing numbers of cold members appear and the spread tightens, then I'm going to sit up. 

Here's hoping :)

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
14 minutes ago, West is Best said:

The way the ensembles have shown such huge scatter for a few days has given rise to some optimism of a return to cold conditions. It was probably inevitable that at least one of the operationals would pursue a cold perturbation. It will be very interesting to see the 6z ens. I'm expecting the scatter to be huge again, with plenty of mild members. It's the trending for which we're watching. If increasing numbers of cold members appear and the spread tightens, then I'm going to sit up. 

Here's hoping :)

Trying upload' london 6z ens..

But cannot for some reason!!

Well worth a look!

Edited by tight isobar

Posted

It does seem to happen a lot 06z is more amplified than 00z I can't stick my finger why, this is probably coincidental nothing changes merely the time the run comes out. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

Just a quick word re: the snowy looking GFS projections for tonight / Thursday morning ...

gfs_ptype_slp_uk2_3.thumb.png.16fd2277ad61f5ac8748765177503ef0.pnggfs_ptype_slp_uk2_4.thumb.png.d8fff34665d4b63644ca34b01bcd9712.png

IMO GFS always progs dew points too low in a NWly regime, so any snow likely only settling over the hills in the north and west. There could be some wet snow mixed in with the heavier bursts / showers at low levels, even in the south and east, but unlikely to settle unless with height.

Could be treacherous over the higher routes of Wales and N England in the morning though.

Euro4 also has favourable dew points, although not as negative as the GFS. I'll be up at 160m asl this evening for a Christmas meal and the local forecast suggests snow until gone midnight, so I'm keeping a close eye on it.

• Like 1

Well the operational is definitely on the cold side. But there continues to be massive scatter with a decent number of cold members.

Cause for optimism here, as an adjunct to the upstream signals. It means that the GFS can see a number of viable possibilities with certain pertubations. Interesting.

5a3122b03a560_ScreenShot2017-12-13at12_50_06.thumb.png.1d9a65c37bbd92958dcd6de162be3e22.png

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

Euro4 also has favourable dew points, although not as negative as the GFS. I'll be up at 160m asl this evening for a Christmas meal and the local forecast suggests snow until gone midnight, so I'm keeping a close eye on it.

I'm keeping a close eye on that too (although it seems a relatively low risk) as I'm due to drive up to Merthyr Tydfil tonight with my mate to do a Christmas gig. Hope we won't get stuck there! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
3 minutes ago, West is Best said:

Well the operational is definitely on the cold side. But there continues to be massive scatter with a decent number of cold members.

Cause for optimism here, as an adjunct to the upstream signals. It means that the GFS can see a number of viable possibilities with certain pertubations. Interesting.

5a3122b03a560_ScreenShot2017-12-13at12_50_06.thumb.png.1d9a65c37bbd92958dcd6de162be3e22.png

What interests me is that the cold members go quite a way below the mean so it would appear that if it does go the cold route it could be a potent one and just in time for Xmas day it would appear. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

What interests me is that the cold members go quite a way below the mean so it would appear that if it does go the cold route it could be a potent one and just in time for Xmas day it would appear. 

Nothing overly potent being signalled for now, I only see one member which matches with the OP synoptically. A flutter on a white Christmas for somewhere in the north might be worth it.