Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - winter proper underway

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Sorry but how accurate can these charts be. I find it difficult to believe 95% of the North Hemisphere will have a milder than average winter. The thing that sticks out for me is both polar and mid lattitude-wise being warmer than average. You can't have both.

You can.

This is because you can have somewhere cold one month, then warm the next. It's over a 3 month period. When people look at these things, especially for temperatures, they just assume that each day of the three month period will be above average in a static way. But that's not how averages come to be. 

You then also need to take into account that the globe is warming and it would actually be quite unusual if large parts did show a cold anomaly over a three month period in regards to a previous 30 year base period. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Not good news for coldies re the overall winter patterns, looking at the latest computer output from UK Met. What the discussions will be in their Ops room trying to marry this output with what we have had and the possibilities according to some on the longer range models we see would be interesting to be able to eavesdrop!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/glob-seas-prob

How does this prediction compare to the previous 3 months predicted with the same tool. Close, better or worse? How accurate do you believe it to be? 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 6z mean indicates a north / south split next week with high pressure building north across southern / central uk bringing pleasant benign surface conditions with only more northern parts of the uk being affected by more changeable Atlantic conditions. Temperature wise, an upward trend with less chance of frosts. Further ahead, lowering heights from the northwest with increasingly unsettled weather and temperatures dropping slightly too.:)

21_174_2mtmpmax.png

21_174_850tmp.png

21_198_850tmp.png

21_198_2mtmpmax.png

21_222_2mtmpmax.png

21_222_500mb.png

21_246_500mb.png

21_270_500mb.png

21_294_500mb.png

21_318_500mb.png

21_318_2mtmpmax.png

21_342_500mb.png

21_342_2mtmpmax.png

21_366_500mb.png

21_384_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Five new pages of posts since 10.00 pm last night?  And no significant snow in the forecast?  Something must be afoot....  Ah yes, a spell of milder weather awaits us just before Christmas....

This is how the main models currently depict the scene in six days time (18th December):

UKMO   image.thumb.gif.413f8d4d3feb68aa5844023f6d5f5579.gif   image.thumb.gif.8d2c3d4ba40e560f8f06cfd7fdf33743.gif

ECM      image.thumb.gif.f1fe42bddc4b1f4ea8d9f9c143c4aebd.gif   image.thumb.gif.dbcb23ddc6f6e328a6cb60b88e8cab6d.gif

GFS      image.thumb.png.c7ed0675155bbde19cde72180a6bfe0b.png    image.thumb.png.7272f76eeb4b1fcc067f49d255050514.png

GEM     image.thumb.png.926f8a4dbe566655e09d0c2fc0d2c08d.png    image.thumb.png.9c995bd3722330a4fd2a9926bd5f1605.png

Reasonably good agreement that milder Atlantic sourced air will be on our doorstep by the 18th.  Only the GEM appears not to be on the same page regarding the extent of the colder uppers pooling over Europe.  This would be a predictable return to normal or should I say average conditions which are common in the UK at this time of year, and it is not unsurprising that the models are taking this direction.  When the next cold spell is going to show, and how we get to it, is yet to be known but given the great start to this winter I am sure it just waiting around the corner, out of sight!  My own feeling is that early in 2018 we are going to see another snowy event - most of the coldest events in UK weather occur in January after all....

In the meantime, for those enjoying wall to wall snow and ice today, spare a thought for the farmers and their livestock who cannot take a day off and still need to find food so that milk and other farm produce can be in the supermarkets when we look for it.....

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I see the latest GFS op runs have now waved the white flag and gone completely over to the dark(milder)side for next week after yesterday going against the others and it's own majority of ens in delaying an Atlantic visit.More energy across the north now being modeled which of course tips the balance.

graphe3_1000_267_95___.gif

A much tighter grouping around the Op run today supporting the warm-up.

Meanwhile this week still looks rather cold generally as our cold air remains out to the weekend with rain and hill snow coming through over the next 24hrs and then a polar nw to finish the week.

fax24s.gif?1         fax84s.gif?1

Next week suggests a milder turn generally then with our old friend/foe the Azores high settling in for a spell and that Canadian vortex leaking it's energy east  across Greenland to our north as we lose the Atlantic ridging ,at least for a while.

EDH1-168.GIF?12-12gensnh-21-1-168.png

The return of the Alaskan ridge again showing from day 7/8 but the ext ens suites continuing to show a westerly pattern across the Atlantic. 

• Like 3

Posted

It appears the GEFS 6z mean could have over egged the high pressure Influence next week. It sounds more generally unsettled (zonal) with spells of wet and windy weather, especially further NW...that applies to the christmas / new year period too with a mixture of mild / cold zonality.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

It appears the GEFS 6z mean could have over egged the high pressure Influence next week. It sounds more generally unsettled (zonal) with spells of wet and windy weather, especially further NW...that applies to the christmas / new year period too with a mixture of mild / cold zonality.

What are you basing that on Frosty? You are referring to the Met Office forecast I see, I'm  slight confused on what data you are validating one Forecast other the other considering the time period in question has yet to happen? I am even more confused when you consider only a few updates ago the Mets outlook as well as the other general Model output has been for a mixture of Cold/Mild output.

Edited by frosty ground
  • Like 1

Posted

I think we can only get to day 5 with some degree of confidence, despite general agreement amongst the models I wouldn’t say this suggests confidence going forward of the pattern, probably models falling back on the climatological norm understandable perhaps if MJO was just in ‘death orbit’. I don’t feel the ensembles will be of any help too, it will be the OP which sniff out new signals first IMO. Is it outlandish we could get a ridge thrown up and gain some latitude in relatively short term probably, but the result of such would be day and night to what we’re currently seeing by NWP. I for one cannot see a protracted spell of very mild Atlantic gunk, I still feel the Xmas period is up for grabs, we shall see as ever. But I don’t feel we’ll have to wait long, before the model output puts out some festive cheer to feast our eyes on.

202D32CB-F449-4522-AF1E-D2F32005A88F.thumb.png.aa371d47729499bb0236d5cf36298267.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

Not good news for coldies re the overall winter patterns, looking at the latest computer output from UK Met. What the discussions will be in their Ops room trying to marry this output with what we have had and the possibilities according to some on the longer range models we see would be interesting to be able to eavesdrop!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/glob-seas-prob

Possibly similar discussions in nature to the ones they were having in November 2009, where I guess the background signals maybe didn't agree locally (well, actually for large chunks of Europe?) with their global probability maps?  All finely balanced and nuanced, I guess... and at the end of the day they have to carry the can for what they say publicly.

We're only covering a small area of the globe.  Their model here deals globally, though of course, effectively small changes to the whole can bring big local impacts, meaning much more to those based here!

5a2fdbd1ce496_ScreenShot2017-12-12at14_36_31.thumb.png.da85a30ce2a0936a1f0997d28b94dc10.png

Edited by Nick B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
2 hours ago, johnholmes said:

The 500hpa probability maps look pretty inconclusive to me. Nothing there of note. 2m temp charts I reckon are a waste of time - model predictions of 2m temps are constantly incorrect at 24 hours range let alone 4 months!

Edited by Catacol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Thanks John, and I think this one is worth remembering when looking back at the winter - predicting a good chance of a low pressure dominated winter, especially further north:

extreme_20171201_mslp_months24_europe_pr

Posted
5 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Thanks John, and I think this one is worth remembering when looking back at the winter - predicting a good chance of a low pressure dominated winter, especially further north:

extreme_20171201_mslp_months24_europe_pr

especially if it turns out to be wrong- as apparently, it is already!....

• Like 2

Posted

Just a correction on the terminology being used (I am also guilty of referring to the next amplification as pos PNA renewal) )

we have been seeing a positive PNA pattern with ridge in western USA/Canada 

once this flattens, we then see a renewal of the ridge under a negative EPO (east Pacific oscialltion) which places the mean ridge a bit further west and into Alaska 

Edited by bluearmy

Posted

Just been casting the net out into the outer limits of the GEFS 6z and this caught my eye..looks very cold, hopefully a sign of things to come during late Dec and through January, the prime time of winter!:santa-emoji::cold:

6_366_2mtmpmax.png

6_366_500mb.png

6_366_850tmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, nytram43 said:

How does this prediction compare to the previous 3 months predicted with the same tool. Close, better or worse? How accurate do you believe it to be? 

about the same as the previous 2 months outputs showed.

They got the overall idea of higher pressure but milder than average last winter, I think!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Right then. For all of us looking to see if the models are starting to pick-up on the long range teleconnections and what have you, the next few GFS outpourings ought to start showing 'signs', as the post-Christmas period creeps into view...?

PS: And, no, I don't mean -12C uppers over London before the New Year!:cold-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the latest MJO forecasts, disagreement between the GEFS and ECM, we've been in phase 7 then a brief entry into the COD.

The ECM brings the signal out quickly into phase 7, the GEFS into phase 6 taking a few extra days to go into 7. However the GEFS has a large increase in amplitude in phase 7. The ECM a slight increase.

The EMM which includes climatology has a big increase in amplitude in phase 7.

For those interested we have a further MJO update out this evening from the Global Tropics Hazards outlook which goes into more detail.

For newer members the amplitude of the signal is important:

NCPE_phase_21m_full.thumb.gif.eaa045776fdc5f4476bcdf3d6c6bfe63.gif

That's the GEFS so the further the signal is away from that inner circle the stronger it is. There are other factors that can mute out the MJO but you have a much better chance of a NH pattern change with a stronger signal.

PS The COD which you often see referred to stands for circle of death! basically the signal isn't doing anything and won't have any impact.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Might be an interesting day for ecm to follow icon 

Its good but I still feel it would flatten out again though every little helps I suppose.

Posted
9 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Its good but I still feel it would flatten out again though every little helps I suppose.

From small acorns ............

There were sig clusters showing an upper ridge stretched ne towards Scandi