Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - winter proper underway

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

According to a recent  poster in the Southwest regional thread. 

Fergie quoted as saying Glosea going for blocked Jan and the model is also keen on strat warming event late December/early Jan.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Fergie quoted as saying Glosea going for blocked Jan and the model is also keen on strat warming event late December/early Jan.

GFS is sniffing around a warming in the strat around christmas time :)

gfsnh-10-384.png?12

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
Just now, Broadmayne blizzard said:

I'm guessing the models that the METO have access to (but that we don't) have been seeing something blocky as the METO updates have been hinting at it. But, unfortunately it keeps getting pushed back. The blocked theme was first touted at Christmas which would have been marvellous. Now it's the new year

Posted
2 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

I remember last year's glosea blocking forecasts ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
Just now, LRD said:

I'm guessing the models that the METO have access to (but that we don't) have been seeing something blocky as the METO updates have been hinting at it. But, unfortunately it keeps getting pushed back. The blocked theme was first touted at Christmas which would have been marvellous. Now it's the new year

lol ...........wasn't it originally a year ago! :wallbash:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
Just now, ArHu3 said:

.......great minds.......! :yahoo:

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

gfsnh-10-384.png?12

It did this last year too, it kept postponing for literally 2 months. This warming has been postponed 3 days now (Saturday is was modeled for the 23rd). I would take it with a pinch of salt 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, stratty said:

lol ...........wasn't it originally a year ago! :wallbash:

Yup very true. To be fair to GLOSEA, though, I think last winter was the first time you could say it bust. And, at times in January it was a near miss for deep cold for the UK. I know a near miss may as well be a massive miss but, in terms of forecasting global weather patterns, it wasn't that far out. 

They've got to keep pushing and testing the science though.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

It did this last year too, it kept postponing for literally 2 months. This warming has been postponed 3 days now (Saturday is was modeled for the 23rd). I would take it with a pinch of salt 

Yes i know :)

Hope fully this time it will be more accurate!

Think this time we have GLOSEA sniffing around a similar prognosis- 

Lets see- i'm hopeful things will look differently in around 2 weeks time :)

Posted

glosea was the only model that didn't predict an ssw last winter when gfs, gefs and eps were. I think it's the best model in the strat

i wouldn't pay too much attention to gfs and gefs 10hpa forecasts in fi until we see them consistently getting below T300

I have some thoughts as to how a SSW may happen and I don't see it quite happening in December 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted

Looking at the ECM ensembles for London some room there to extend the cold for a few days. The op is  at the top end of solutions towards days 6 and 7 although  good support for milder weather after that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening All... Cant help thinking that the ecm is far to progressive with the Atlantic return, gfs is a coldies friend ,ecm gives the coldies a Cold Shoulder:rofl::cold:

me.png

mex.png

post-12319-0-66097000-1426768471.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

glosea was the only model that didn't predict an ssw last winter when gfs, gefs and eps were. I think it's the best model in the strat

Mind might be playing tricks but didn't GLOSEA call a cold winter back in Nov 16? That's what triggered all those wintry long rangers that METO were coming out with late autumn/early winter last year

I agree with your comment, in general, though

Posted
24 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

gfsnh-10-384.png?12

Yes perhaps something akin to Jan 2013 may occur, but a week or so earlier, we saw major warming in early Jan and then a 2 week very cold snowy spell, leading into the cold Feb and exceptional March, Indeed late Nov 2012 - first part of Dec 2012 was generally cold, similiar to now, nothing exceptional but wintry (though I wouldn't want a repeat of christmas 2012 which was cloudy wet and mild, miserable).

Anyhow back to the models, ECM showing a resurgent atlantic and a mild SW fetch, GFS less so. The theme of recent weeks has been amplification, barely any long fetch westerly/southwesterly, and I don't see any major change in overall base state of northern hemisphere to suggest a long spell of such weather, a temporary phase may occur, before christmas, and then all eyes to the NE, expecting height rises here to begin to influence things. For snow cold lovers, what a pity we couldn't have fast forwarded the clock 2 weeks yesterday, a snowy christmas eve and snow on the ground for christmas - would have been perfect. 

• Like 3

Posted

The plume for de Bilt still very uncertain after the 17th, it has been like this for 4 days at least but I think we see more and more members choosing a cold solution 

KNMI_expertpluim_De_Bilt_Temperatuur_201712111200.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
14 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Looking at the ECM ensembles for London some room there to extend the cold for a few days. The op is  at the top end of solutions towards days 6 and 7 although  good support for milder weather after that.

Yes.

Although a barrage, of un-doing after friday'i suspect?!.

Certainly be worth an'eye on the gfs op-18z...

Will-it won't it...

Follow its sister suite(12z)...

or another embarrassing 'outlier'..

From the high(supposed data12z!!!)

graphe_ens3.png

Edited by tight isobar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO extended has a deep low tracking somewhere around Iceland with the UK in a southwesterly giving some rain mainly in the south and west

ukm2.2017121812_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.54d1b5dab2a99fee9e7c34114d42f286.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold.
34 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

I think, to be fair, that there was extensive blocking, although not quite as far enough north as we may have anticipated.   

Posted
9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

UKMO extended has a deep low tracking somewhere around Iceland with the UK in a southwesterly giving some rain mainly in the south and west

ukm2.2017121812_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.54d1b5dab2a99fee9e7c34114d42f286.png

Stretching from Spain to the Eastern Seaboard of North America, the Azores High is absolutely huge and bloated on that chart. Like a sumo wrestler who has really let himself go. The '5 bellies' high

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
11 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

The plume for de Bilt still very uncertain after the 17th, it has been like this for 4 days at least but I think we see more and more members choosing a cold solution 

KNMI_expertpluim_De_Bilt_Temperatuur_201712111200.png

Theres opt' for colder soulutions..

Although a messy way there!!!!

Posted
15 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

i wouldn't pay too much attention to gfs and gefs 10hpa forecasts in fi until we see them consistently getting below T300

I have some thoughts as to how a SSW may happen and I don't see it quite happening in December 

If you never predict a ssw warming, you'll be right for 2 out of 3 winters but if you try to predict them you also need to predict them at the right time. A low sensitivity for forecasting a ssw is a pretty safe bet

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, LRD said:

Mind might be playing tricks but didn't GLOSEA call a cold winter back in Nov 16? That's what triggered all those wintry long rangers that METO were coming out with late autumn/early winter last year

I agree with your comment, in general, though

Actually my mind playing tricks - glosea this time last Dec had a cluster of runs predicting a SSW but it fell away fairly quickly.  Incidentally, Ian's tweet says warming is 'possible' on some modelling. That's hardly a cast iron forecast! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

My memory is seriously playing tricks with me as I thought we did have an SSW last year, just much later and that's what gave us that half baked 24 hour Easterly where I had sleety / rainy / wet snow with sub -8c 850s, the one where it was never going to be a good cold spell because the 500mb heights just weren't low enough.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

My memory is seriously playing tricks with me as I thought we did have an SSW last year, just much later and that's what gave us that half baked 24 hour Easterly where I had sleety / rainy / wet snow with sub -8c 850s, the one where it was never going to be a good cold spell because the 500mb heights just weren't low enough.

It turned out to be a very early final warming, not a midwinter ssw