Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

Wet snow starting here in Solihull! ????

Well, that was, erm, brief.

The wind suddenly got up really strongly, it started snowing, and then 2 minutes later it all stopped dead!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some pics of my home in Shropshire - it's throwing it down again now.  I'd say we have has about 8 inches but its at least a foot deep on my lawn ans surrounding fields.

17cm of level snow. That's more than Dec 2010 or Dec 1995 managed. It's certainly the most round here since Feb 1991, possibly 1987. 4 years without any significant snow ends like this.!

this mornings drive out or a small bit of it.  

Posted Images

Temperature now at 2.5C.  Dew point -2.0C

One or two yellow clouds appearing to our West.

 Do not think we will have to wait long for precipitation.

Wind and clouds both in the w to wnw.

 

There does seem to be an area of snow developing on the western end of the trough moving southwards through northern England and Northern Ireland, centred over Ireland and the west of the Irish Sea and probably heading our way... It has also been noted by the people in the North West thread that this could be taking the characteristics of a polar Low. Lightening has been reported from many areas around Manchester recently.

For those who are not aware of a Polar Low, it only forms in extremely cold air (normally in the very northern Atlantic), and although the air is not cold enough under normal circumstances the fact that the ground is still very warm could be casing large amounts of convection, giving a similar effect. 

 A 'normal' Polar Low  can drop a meter of snow and is accompanied by storm force winds over a fairly small area. It tends to be about 50 miles wide, with its own circulation..

It can best be described as a snow hurricane..

I can only remember about half a dozen of them in 60 years, and have never really been hit by one.

MIA,

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

Well, that was, erm, brief.

The wind suddenly got up really strongly, it started snowing, and then 2 minutes later it all stopped dead!

Fizz..

Even quicker here.. Went to put the car into the garage and saw about 6 flakes fall. Melted on the windscreen.

But its a start:yahoo:

 MIA

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Temperature now at 2.5C.  Dew point -2.0C

One or two yellow clouds appearing to our West.

 Do not think we will have to wait long for precipitation.

Wind and clouds both in the w to wnw.

 

There does seem to be an area of snow developing on the western end of the trough moving southwards through northern England and Northern Ireland, centred over Ireland and the west of the Irish Sea and probably heading our way... It has also been noted by the people in the North West thread that this could be taking the characteristics of a polar Low. Lightening has been reported from many areas around Manchester recently.

For those who are not aware of a Polar Low, it only forms in extremely cold air (normally in the very northern Atlantic), and although the air is not cols enough under normal circumstances the fact that the ground is still very warm could be casing large amounts of convection, giving a similar effect. 

 A 'normal' Polar Low  can drop a meter of snow and is accompanied by storm force winds over a fairly small area. Ittends to be about 50 miles wide, with its own circulation..

It can best be described as a snow hurricane..

I can only remember about half a dozen of them in 60 years, and have never really been hit by one.

MIA,

Mate you trying to give us all Heart attack but noticed that on the Radar it does seem to be a forming of a Polar low as it crosses warm sees the moisture it picks up could be substantial as the euro 4 hints at. Destination the Midlands. Exciting times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, snowstorm27x said:

Mate you trying to give us all Heart attack but noticed that on the Radar it does seem to be a forming of a Polar low as it crosses warm sees the moisture it picks up could be substantial as the euro 4 hints at. Destination the Midlands. Exciting times.

SS27..

It cannot possibly be a 'polar low', but it is looking a bit like one!

I am off to the Irish thread to see what is happening there!

MIA 

 PS the explanation of a Polar Low was for BleakMidWinter who asked what it meant.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Fizz..

Even quicker here.. Went to put the car into the garage and saw about 6 flakes fall. Melted on the windscreen.

But its a start:yahoo:

 MIA

Yes, 2 minutes might have been overstating it, lol.

Still, it’s the most snow I’ve seen in ages! ??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I’ve seen my first flakes of this winter! 

Left Stourbridge at 11pm and it was coming down quite nicely! Car temp showed 2C. As I travelled back to Droitwich the temp rose to 3C and the skies were clear. Hoping for something later though! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WinterWilf said:

 

Bbc forecast has changed again for me for tonight and tomorrow not for the better..  3am now and none for tomoz 

Can you put your location in your profile?

Nothing too personal as you can just say Birmingham or Staffordshire if you like.

In the current situation, the BBC forecasts can drive you insane! 

MIA  .

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Can you put your location in your profile?

Nothing too personal as you can just say Birmingham or Staffordshire if you like.

In the current situation, the BBC forecasts can drive you insane! 

MIA  .

Done.

Yes the bbc are very annoying. Looks like might get a slight dusting maybe. Concerned about the low on sunday will track futher north too. 

Time will tell.

Temp 2.2 due point -3.3

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MKN said:

Is anyone under the areas showing precip if so whats falling and does it tie in with what this shows?

Screenshot_20171208-003722.jpg

Ok finally started here, 100% snow, but light at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...