Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
DiagonalRedLine

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

Next week looks interesting, Especially those with elevation, But certainly not exclusively with such unstable air aloft.

• Like 2

trouble is for south of the region (away from Peaks) is the wind direction, mountains of Wales look in the way off a W'ly, thicknesses support snow at all elevations, S of Peaks need winds NW'ly

hgt500-1000.png

Next week potentially very interesting. Very unstable air and unusually cold air from the West. Possibility of troughs forming. One to keep an eye on.

11 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

trouble is for south of the region (away from Peaks) is the wind direction, mountains of Wales look in the way off a W'ly, thicknesses support snow at all elevations, S of Peaks need winds NW'ly

hgt500-1000.png

I no what you mean, will be very frustrating if we stay dry cuz of them bloody mountains, although I still think we will manage to get some out of it especially high up

24 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

latest post by andymusic shows mountain effect, I have no interest in next week at all

You will when it snows.

January 1984.

• Like 1

Wouldnt disregard anything as far as next week is concerned. Premature to have no interest when it hasn't even begun.

I'm yet to see a NW'ly fail to bring frequent showers here. 

Edited by MattStoke

1 minute ago, The Wolf said:

Wouldnt disregard anything as far as next week is concerned. Premature to have no interest when it hasn't even begun.

from past experiences of W or WNW'lys, showers move ESE through Stockport in to Derbyshire, W'ly, showers batter wales, and NW England,  and south of M4 will get some, WSW'ly similar with snow showers/thunderstorms moving ENE, through the mouth of the Severn

12 hours ago, Staffordshire said:

I was thinking exactly that on my way to work this morning. Probably just because of the cloud cover though.

I think you’re right! It’s never fun waking up early when it’s dull and murky outside.

Well I for one is looking forward to some exciting weather, this week has been dull and boring to say the least so even if the welsh hills gobbles up all the snow at least we will have some wind!! Reckon some places will have quite a bit of thunder and lightning too

It might not look like anything special snow wise at the moment for much of this region (the Peaks probably excepted) but it will inevitably come down to nowcasting as ever, and we could get a surprise. I wouldn't take it as a given even if we were forecast to be buried at this stage, as exact details are likely to change I'd imagine.

The Welsh guards will be protecting us from any major events, local forecast is still saying mainly dry and breezy with a westerly breeze and temps around 4 to 5C. Wind needs to veer more NW to feed us showers through the Cheshire Gap for some sort of accumulation of the white stuff to occur with any of the heavier precipitation. It will be quite severe further north and west of here, but at the moment, locally it doesn't seem that bad, but it is still 4 or so days or so away, so i think it's best just to be patient, and wait for the event to begin, as there may be a few surprises in store.

I would be amazed if most of the Midlands don't at least get a covering from this especially with most of the Midlands having decent elevation. The Welsh mountains won't suck up all the ppn and this looks like lasting at least 10 days as the wind direction changes to a Northerly then a North easterly it looks like. And we all know our streamers can come at very short notice and give us surprises.  next 2 to 3 days will be interesting to see what the models predict in terms of Snowfall and what will actually happen. I see a snowy cold Midlands for at least 10 days. :cold:

• Like 2

I think altitude, evaporative cooling and timing (snow more likely after dark) will be key next week. Any streamers more likely than individual showers to bring snow. 

Exactly what one would expect from the most potent NW'ly in years (got lnyched on the model forum for disagreeing with it being that).

I would not get to excited at this range, many let downs previously. All fingers crosssed and it’s looking possible until you tell your kids - then it all goes wrong and you look silly again.

And round 2 of the ‘will it won’t it’ teasing starts....

7591255A-0792-492E-88AB-4AF6DB9E25EB.png

3 hours ago, MattStoke said:

I think altitude, evaporative cooling and timing (snow more likely after dark) will be key next week. Any streamers more likely than individual showers to bring snow. 

Exactly what one would expect from the most potent NW'ly in years (got lnyched on the model forum for disagreeing with it being that).

Not sure evaporative cooling will play too big of a part. Will be too blowy out there.

26 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

WTF! just seen the 6Z

prectypeuktopo.png

Wants to give the Midlands a 3rd slider of the season.

• Like 1