Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
18 minutes ago, Matty23 said:

Looks like north midlands going to miss out on most of it this time 

I'd say the NW Midlands could see quite a bit.

Posted

I’ve already had a White Christmas.....I got a snow machine for Christmas... I can now guarantee snow on New Year’s Eve for party.....

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Matty23 said:

Really looking at euro4 it's been pushed South quite alot

Others models have it further north. See what the 12zs bring, I guess.

Hoping I might see a little in NW Greater London.

Posted
35 minutes ago, shaky said:

Yeh unless things change on the 12z it looks like central and east midlands is where the heaviest snow is gona be!!

Maybe a bit of IMBY there shaky... I think central/southern parts of West Midlands (probably south of Brum) along with Wales will do best.

essentially the same areas that got the best stuff last time, will see it again. North of brum maybe a cm or 2.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Does this not look a little more marginal than last time?

Yeah. Last time was all snow for the Midlands. Rain to snow this time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
3 hours ago, shaky said:

Got a feeling the warnings are playin this down a bit!!theres is definately a chance of more than just 2-5cms of snow!!chris fawkes has just tweeted aswell mentioning much larger totals are definately possible!!

That's what I'm thinking especially as it looks like its gonna be more marginal too, deep thick cover of 10 - 15cm I'm thinking too.

• Thanks 1

Posted

greatest likelihood (0-2cm low elevations; locally 2-5; & to 10cm some uplands N'wrd into W Midlands). Other areas Weds AM may see ca 1cm >100m; 1-3cm >200m

fergies take on things

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well the last snow event pretty much missed here and this looks to take a very similar track, although more marginal and so elevation will likely be more of a requirement. If this was to shift 50 miles north or expand in coverage northwards then it would hammer the Peak District.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
24 minutes ago, Matty23 said:

Yea big downgrade now I think for even central midlands more of a South event this. Unless ecm is more on the mark 

12z NMM seems to go along with that idea.....but will be nailed tomorrow methinks.

nmmuk-1-39-0_gnt4.pngnmmuk-1-40-0_lud1.pngnmmuk-26-44-0_iif3.png

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Ignore the bad run, all the pro's are off for Christmas, the data input into the models was probably left to recently minted university graduates with no experience and were forced to work Xmas :D:D

Ye have little faith! just remember, MetO pretty much NAILED the event from a few weeks ago, and they nailed it about 24 to 48hr before the models started agreeing. It was pretty damn good from them. They still have 95% of us in the warning area, so i'm sure they know what's going down :)

I have faith!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Even the meto are unsure so will be down to now-casting as which I enjoy the most. Here's NetW wx hi rez take.

viewimage-12.thumb.png.80b75322977bc9be6239cb3ae02be4f1.pngviewimage-14.thumb.png.e94461079af8214acd4631f73eb52d89.pngviewimage-11.thumb.png.18d1bdf7048f921fc584677b5befaf2c.png

Currently very heavy rain here just now bouncing off the roof/Windows. Hope all are enjoying there Christmas.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, Matty23 said:

Looks like north midlands going to miss out on most of it this time 

Merry Xmas to you too Matty!

Posted
55 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Well the last snow event pretty much missed here and this looks to take a very similar track, although more marginal and so elevation will likely be more of a requirement. If this was to shift 50 miles north or expand in coverage northwards then it would hammer the Peak District.

Yep exactly.... oh well... radar says snow atm but heavyish sleety rain...2c.... better luck next time...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

I forgot to mention, I also have my own supercomputer weather model and it is better than all the rest. Infact latest 20z output (my model outputs 0.1km resolution models every hour of the day) is showing 30 to 40cm from M4 through to the northernmost extent of the midlands, and it is predicting this with a 100% certainty (with a 3% confidence interval).

Time for another tipple me thinks while the 21z rolls out from the Kmanmxinator2000 super computer.

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 3