Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Just looked out the window and to my shock everywhere was white and snowing well !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Just looked out the window and to my shock everywhere was white and snowing well !!!

Lol then I look out 5 mins later to see it stopped and a thaw taking place

Posted

No snow here 

wife said we had a flurry this afternoon .

dissapointing so far ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Very hit and miss. Some might do ok   Maybe it's time to look for the next event  

We were never forecast any, always winds were going to be too W'ly, all the activity well north of here, we need a NW'ly

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

We were never forecast any, always winds were going to be too W'ly, all the activity well north of here, we need a NW'ly

What????? Most of the region the west at least was under a yellow warning 

Posted
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

What????? Most of the region the west at least was under a yellow warning 

Not really the correct setup, we need a Cheshire Gap flow off convective setup

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Not really the correct setup, we need a Cheshire Gap flow off convective setup

Yes I agree with that. Always thought welsh mountains etc would be in the way   However not to be downhearted  been decent as far as English winters are concerned 

Posted
5 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Yes I agree with that. Always thought welsh mountains etc would be in the way   However not to be downhearted  been decent as far as English winters are concerned 

Yes, we had very good Dec, especially from 8th-14th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Went up into the northern Peak District today. Very little snow to speak of below around 300m but higher up it was winter proper. Attempted Snake Pass from Glossop but the conditions up there were horrendous with blizzard conditions and I was sliding all over the place, so decided to head back down again. I was then treated to an early afternoon thunderstorm accompanied by pea sized hail, snow and strong winds which I watched from alongside Torside Reservoir :) 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Supacell said:

Went up into the northern Peak District today. Very little snow to speak of below around 300m but higher up it was winter proper. Attempted Snake Pass from Glossop but the conditions up there were horrendous with blizzard conditions and I was sliding all over the place, so decided to head back down again. I was then treated to an early afternoon thunderstorm accompanied by pea sized hail, snow and strong winds which I watched from alongside Torside Reservoir :) 

The Peak District really is a climate all on its own as even in some of the worst Winters these last few years they always seem to do alright around there. We're lucky I suppose (even more so if you actually live round there) its not that far away, although I personally have only visited a handful of times and only once did I go there looking for snow. This was in November 2015 but unfortunately at the time by the time I reached there, there was nothing left save for the odd micro patch :D.

• Like 1

Posted

Actually I just noticed in the lampost light (though I couldn't tell until I opened the window) that its lightly snowing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

The Peak District really is a climate all on its own as even in some of the worst Winters these last few years they always seem to do alright around there. We're lucky I suppose (even more so if you actually live round there) its not that far away, although I personally have only visited a handful of times and only once did I go there looking for snow. This was in November 2015 but unfortunately at the time by the time I reached there, there was nothing left save for the odd micro patch :D.

Living on its doorstep I can be in Buxton in 40 minutes and so I am up there quite a lot. It is the best thing about where I live, despite the fact IMBY gets very little snow. You are right about its climate, with a lot of the area over 300m and some areas obviously much higher it doesn't struggle to snow over the Peak District and in some circumstances it can feel like you are in the Arctic. Today, I stood outside on top of Snake Pass and could only take 10 minutes before I could feel my fingers and face stinging with the cold (despite being fully kitted up with winter wear). The wind almost blew my car door off :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

met office have updated weather warning for the midlands tonight

Posted

Meto just updated warnings to go further east of our region. As far east as Northamptonshire and Leicester. A slushy cover of 1-3cm below 100m asl... but some areas will not see any. 

Personally, i think the latter but ice could be an issue

Posted
3 minutes ago, jimben said:

met office have updated weather warning for the midlands tonight

What to?

Don't matter CP above has explained I see.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

1c here, nothing falling here right now. whats going on over the West and North?