Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
18 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Looks like game over for any long cold spell now. Indeed next week could be very mild. The snow in December was great but this month and the outlook are pathetic at present.

Yes its a little meh     However snow showers for Tuesday.  and then a possible windstorm fro wed night-Thursday  actually could be some violent winds going by various models.  So not boring   but im glad we hit the jackpot last month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

XC weather is still convinced we’re getting snow here tomorrow, but the MetO is having none of it!

Place your bets ladies and gentlemen.... ?

C268BFEF-FD88-4C3E-8276-D9FFC46E1D0A.png

49A59C7C-E3DF-41E8-B664-0C68BD824FC7.png

Posted

So we have yellow Met Office warnings for snow covering the far west and north west of the region.

Main risk to low levels looks to be Tuesday evening to Wednesday morning. More marginal during daylight.

I wouldn't be surprised if other parts of the Midlands saw snow. It may just be more patchy.

CD41A38B-CA7A-4CAB-975D-F9C807918DED.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Fingers are firmly crossed here in Telford at c.150m asl - I fear it's just too mild, but of course I'll be lamp-post watching on Tuesday night and hoping to wake up to a White Wednesday!

Posted

Snow warning for Friday from the Forum doomlord ?

Looks like i might be going to Derby from Worcs . Just knew the weather would be dodgy. Hopefully just rain showers 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

The MetOffice's latest warnings have the far North Western corner of the West Mids conurbation in their warning map, which just about covers my house. So i'll just have to wait and see what falls and/or/if anything settles, so it will definitely need lampost watching tomorrow evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

So we have yellow Met Office warnings for snow covering the far west and north west of the region.

Main risk to low levels looks to be Tuesday evening to Wednesday morning. More marginal during daylight.

I wouldn't be surprised if other parts of the Midlands saw snow. It may just be more patchy.

CD41A38B-CA7A-4CAB-975D-F9C807918DED.jpeg

some members profile pic gone weird? luckily not mine, don't wanna be just a letter I

Posted

I'm just about in the warning section. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow but whatever we get wont last very long. Really want a spell that lasts more than a few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Local BBC site for my area has removed most of any snowfall for tuesday evening/night, that'll probably change to a raging blizzard later. It's a good job most people ignore those things.

Posted

Nice Blue skies at the moment  lovely.  Anyhow  soon be 12z time  i have a feeling the low will move slightly more south on this run   nothing to alter snow chances  but enough to put some in within very high winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
19 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Yes, interesting 12z's coming up, i am personally hoping for the storm to shift a little further south to make for an interesting windy spell.

Well keep on wishing :D It's only Monday so plenty of time as we may have the S word included yet!

60-102UK_oec7.GIF60-289UK_jfb7.GIF

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
10 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Well keep on wishing :D It's only Monday so plenty of time as we may have the S word included yet!

60-102UK_oec7.GIF60-289UK_jfb7.GIF

Yes, quite a shift south on the 12z's, if this trend continues, then snow would indeed be a possibility.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Yes, quite a shift south on the 12z's, if this trend continues, then snow would indeed be a possibility.

Looking at the Models the GFS is not alone either....What a turn around or just model watching in the last 24hrs.

Wouldn't it be great if the output ended up like last Fridays GFS 6z......The way the models are ATM I wouldn't discount it...YOU JUST NEVER KNOW :D

gfs-0-132_xgz5.pnggfs-2-138_nzn7.png

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it

Er Wot ze funk!!!!

Netweather has me down for HEAVY snow in 7 hours!! Cant remember when this was shown before at such short range (actually I can - never). Questions:

1. If this is correct why isn't this thread going into overdrive?

2. Where did this come from? Roughly 4 hours ago it was very light snow showers?

3. If this is wrong (probably?) how could a half decent weather  bit of software (?) get things so badly wrong at such short range?? 

Screenshot (5).png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Well, well,,,

What a change in the models.

I have just changed my golf tomorrow to am, now I am forecasted for snow.

Anyway to the here and now..

In the dull weather the temps gradually rose from a min of 2.3C yesterday evening to 9.1C max in the lightish rain just before lunchtime. Since then we have had some light gusty rain showers blowing through and the wind has now veered to the NW.

With each shower the temp dropped about 1C and it is now clear with a strange yellow glow to the clearing sky (just before it went dark), with a temp of 6.7C.

I suspect that showers are going to turn to snow more widely and sooner than expected.

As to wed/ thu event we only need  to see a 50 miles further south now according to most models to have a good chance of a good snowfall.

AND....... thats not all the GFS has gone on to give us a slider with a lot of snow on sunday, with the cold air becoming more entrenched to the NE.   We could still be on the verge of an easterly next week, so hang on to your seatbelts! :cold::cold:.

I must remember to put my pond system into winter mode if it comes to pass.

MIA 

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
55 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

That is a big shift south. Snow for the Pennines.

MMMM.......?

MMMMMIA?

Posted
48 minutes ago, Sleet30031972 said:

Er Wot ze funk!!!!

Netweather has me down for HEAVY snow in 7 hours!! Cant remember when this was shown before at such short range (actually I can - never). Questions:

1. If this is correct why isn't this thread going into overdrive?

2. Where did this come from? Roughly 4 hours ago it was very light snow showers?

3. If this is wrong (probably?) how could a half decent weather  bit of software (?) get things so badly wrong at such short range?? 

Screenshot (5).png

This was 5 hours ago.....so not surprised that it's been brought forward really.

Met Office Warnings Issued For: West Midlands Conurbation

1. Yellow warning of snow

0400 on Tue 16 January
    To:
    1100 on Wed 17 January
    Updated 5 hours ago

Showers will turn to sleet, snow and hail late on Monday night across northern England, and then affect parts of Wales and the Midlands Tuesday evening and overnight into Wednesday.

Posted
On 1/13/2018 at 12:35, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

deep FI this, but the 2nd GFS run to show a good Cheshire Gap flow for Fri night/Sat am, cannot see many low levels getting any snow before Friday

hgt500-1000.png

What's your thought's on this now then :)