Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
12 minutes ago, kmanmx said:

What a day... well it was snowing very heavy when I went to bed. Woke up at 6am to the sound of all the power cutting out, great... I look outside, a good 7 or 8cm I think. Though I was super tired so went back to bed til 10am. By the time I got up it had melted considerably, probably half that amount. Anyway still no sign of power 4 hours later. Another 4 hours go by and it's now 2pm, no power. Suddenly I hear helicopters, look out my window, and I can see one and hear another!. It was one of those electricity line inspection helicopters flying in the fields just outside my house, clearly they were still trying to find where the fault had developed. At the same time there was a small fleet of 5 or 6 Wester Power Distribution land rover defenders driving through the village and surrounding fields trying to find the fault. Anyway as of 5 minutes ago the power came back on, so they obviously found it.

I got a fairly decent video of the helicopter. Pretty cool. It cuts off abrubtly as the end as I switch to the photo mode to try and get some good snaps too, :D

Really cool! Whereabouts in South Leicestershire are you again? I went through some villages on my way home this morning and they had been plastered. South Kilworth and Welford especially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold
10 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Really cool! Whereabouts in South Leicestershire are you again? I went through some villages on my way home this morning and they had been plastered. South Kilworth and Welford especially.

Willoughby Waterleys :D

Yeah can't remember ever having two good events in one winter, let alone 2 weeks apart. Though it's a bit annoying they have both been either while I am on holiday or at the weekend, I want to be snowed in so I can't get to work :D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
11 minutes ago, kmanmx said:

Willoughby Waterleys :D

Yeah can't remember ever having two good events in one winter, let alone 2 weeks apart. Though it's a bit annoying they have both been either while I am on holiday or at the weekend, I want to be snowed in so I can't get to work :D:D

Not far from those villages that I went through then! Haha I know! I'd love to see a proper Easterly set up at some point this Winter. It probably won't happen as they're quite rare but it would top off what has already been a brilliant Winter for snow in the Midlands and we still have 2-3 months left! 

Normally we're lucky if we see a dusting.

Posted

Maybe some snow showers later here when the winds turn more WNW? can see them in the distance to the west.

If not, back to Madrid on Sunday although living in Spain I have been surprised just by how consistently cold those nights are in the winter, most morning in December started off around -3/-4c though very dry air so almost never a frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Video of the snow earlier. It was a bit cold on top of the hills near here.

Heavy snowfall and winds over Alport Height

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

looking more active up to the north west of the region now and through Cheshire, may be another surprise coming :)

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Temps already below freezing here at -0.8c, A cold night to come especially over the snowfields.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Wonder if a Cheshire Gap streamer might set up.

2F622CC5-DB24-4F55-9F0F-0E325672949D.jpeg

8th Dec 2017 comes to mind, its going WEST :wallbash:

Posted
1 minute ago, nobble said:

Can see a big bank of cloud skirting the west

close but no cigar

we are too far east, and Friday we'll be too far south, north getting a pounding

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

too far south, north getting a pounding

Can't win em all

Posted
1 minute ago, nobble said:

Can't win em all

true, too far north last night, too far east tonight, too far south Friday! 

it says, 10th Dec, that's ya lot, cannot be greedy

Posted

the wind is set to veer more north westerly later, so we may get a few rogue showers into the central midlands overnight.

If so, we'll have been spoilt :-)

Posted
17 minutes ago, Matty23 said:

What way were the winds when shropshire did good on that Friday a couple weeks back 

gfs-2017120800-0-6.png

Posted
10 minutes ago, shaky said:

Anyone know was has happend to the euro4!!doesnt seem to be working!!

I think its over rated shaky..

example being yesterday, it showed little snow and got the track wrong up until the last min!!