The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Heavy snow northants again

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

December 2017 proof you don't need uppers -10 degree level and a raging easterly/north easterly to produce heavy snow to low levels

You do if you live in Nottingham LOL,

Jokes aside though I suppose at least this winter we have seen snow over in Nottingham albeit nothing in comparison to the West Midlands earlier this month

As for todays event, still just heavy rain in Nottingham sadly, however pleased for others as like you say been a good winter so far for many in the Midlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Just trying to snow again a little bit here at the mo. Pretty to watch, but nothing more than that...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

About 5cms here, snowed all morning but not settled, so similar amount to when I woke at 7. 

Posted

About an inch or so here a degree or so colder it would have easily been 4 or 5inches i think. A5 between lutterworth and crick had a fair bit more. The thundersnow last night looked awesome wish i had been able to film it ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I have just got back from walking over Alport Height and a blizzard went through about 10:30am that lasted about half hour

Screenshot_20171227-130412.thumb.png.0bfd3c6259f908a0d06ce45c377c8c40.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
1 hour ago, MKN said:

About an inch or so here a degree or so colder it would have easily been 4 or 5inches i think. A5 between lutterworth and crick had a fair bit more. The thundersnow last night looked awesome wish i had been able to film it ?

I think South Leicestershire got plastered in the end! I went back from Rugby to Rushden on my bike this morning and it was very dangerous. The villages around South Leicestershire had fallen trees and snow covering the roads. Some of the trees looked like they'de been struck by lightning, may have been that thundersnow!

Managed to get a picture of the road just before the A14 slip road in Leicestershire. Was very dangerous, especially on a 125cc. I almost lost it about 3 times!

A14 westbound is a no-go as well. Literally nothing moving.imageproxy.php?img=&key=d8af95ed7f22db9e

20171227_131111.jpg

Edited by andy_leics22
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

About 5cm slushy covering first thing at my parents in Long Lawford Rugby, 40.3mm in the Snowdon gauge, imagine if that had all been settling snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Ended  up last night turning to sleet, so I went to bed.!!

Snow still laying around here, this morning,  but only a 1 cm left now.

I guess about 4 cms was reached here max, we had quite a bit of sleet and strong winds in the night.

Nothing this morning although Fizz reported a few flakes just down the road.

Temp now at a max of 2.8C, but the dew point is low at -2.4C.

Sun just trying to appear for the first time today.

If it clears now as seems likely it could well be a cold night and very icy in the morning.

So two snowy outbreaks now in December. Very good when we are basically in a westerly Atlantic airmass.

MIA

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
31 minutes ago, TonyH said:

About 5cm slushy covering first thing at my parents in Long Lawford Rugby, 40.3mm in the Snowdon gauge, imagine if that had all been settling snow!

I'm imagining what we would have had here if that precipitation had been 40 miles further north! 20-25cm I reckon, allowing for the fact that it fell as sleet for the first few hours. Only 8.4mm recorded here with almost 5cm of snow falling in about two hours during the early hours.

It's turned colder here since the weather started to brighten up. All the trees and bushes not exposed to the full force of the wind, and above 310m,  are still covered in snow and ice. Current temp' is 0.4c.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just a bare covering before mid-night but gradually thawed through the rest of the night as temperature stubbornly remained just above 0c.Sleet and wet snow on and off until this morning.Now blue sky and sunshine.

Looks like many of us have been lucky with at least 3 snow events though this month which means more days of snow falling/covering so far this Winter than i can recall over the last 3 Winters.

The on going 10 days looks like keeping a similar pattern with the jet wavering n and s over us -not ideal for long lasting cold but further  transient polar maritime events still quite possible.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

Last night chucked down here in Coventry with snow, especially around 12:00 to 1:30am, proper blizzards like. Surprisingly not much of it settled. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

What a day... well it was snowing very heavy when I went to bed. Woke up at 6am to the sound of all the power cutting out, great... I look outside, a good 7 or 8cm I think. Though I was super tired so went back to bed til 10am. By the time I got up it had melted considerably, probably half that amount. Anyway still no sign of power 4 hours later. Another 4 hours go by and it's now 2pm, no power. Suddenly I hear helicopters, look out my window, and I can see one and hear another!. It was one of those electricity line inspection helicopters flying in the fields just outside my house, clearly they were still trying to find where the fault had developed. At the same time there was a small fleet of 5 or 6 Wester Power Distribution land rover defenders driving through the village and surrounding fields trying to find the fault. Anyway as of 5 minutes ago the power came back on, so they obviously found it.

I got a fairly decent video of the helicopter. Pretty cool. It cuts off abrubtly as the end as I switch to the photo mode to try and get some good snaps too, :D

Edited by kmanmx
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I'm surprised by how localised it was last night. Nuneaton which is 10 miles doen the road from my girlfriends house in Rugby hardly saw any settling snow and neither did Coventry which is 20 miles away. This was the scene in Rugby at 10am this morning, a fair bit of snow around...

20171227_102933.jpg

• Like 1