Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

I think that most people in the Midlands are going to get something.

The fact that Hereford and Malvern (Barb) is  now reporting sleet to snow indicates that the colder temps have arrived earlier than expected.

People in the east - it is coming...  People in the North West - the radar indicates its on its way to you also.

I am still falling here (0.5C and -0.5c) and the snow has covered the  salted roads easily.

It really is snowing more heavily now than in the last event. 

It would class it as a 9/10 event now as the wind is also blowing it. A bit more depth of snow and half a degree colder and I will be reporting blizzard conditions. 

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

1.4c here now, 100% snow it seems. Great stuff, 3 hours ahead of schedule. There was a magical moment when I was looking at the radar to see precip all over Leicester, but no pitter patter on the window anymore... so I shot to the window, and surely enough, pure snow ! woop.

No sign of it settling yet. The temp probably needs to drop another degree til that happens though. However i've seen snowflakes so this event already gets a 7/10 from me without it even settling :D

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Just to add to the posts about the met office, they havent been half as vigilent and concerned with his event as the last. Its also a bit further north, but nothing noteworthy in the forecasts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, kmanmx said:

1.4c here now, 100% snow it seems. Great stuff, 3 hours ahead of schedule.

No sign of it settling yet. The temp probably needs to drop another degree til that happens though. However i've seen snowflakes so this event already gets a 7/10 from me without it even settling :D

Where are you in Leicester got us snow in northants 3am to 10am tomoorow heavy rain at moment.

Posted
2 minutes ago, pegg24 said:

Where are you in Leicester got us snow in northants 3am to 10am tomoorow heavy rain at moment.

In a small village about 10 miles south of the city.. so temps are about 1c lower than the city temps, which helps. The cold is moving southeast, so should get into northants in an hour or two. It was only supposed to snow here from 1am onwards, so its almost 4 hours early. So hopefully will be 4 hours early for your area too!

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Heavy snow falling over fish hill near Evesham just over a thousand feet above sea level at the top of the Cotswold hills :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 minute ago, kmanmx said:

In a small village about 10 miles south of the city.. so temps are about 1c lower than the city temps, which helps. The cold is moving southeast, so should get into northants in an hour or two. It was only supposed to snow here from 1am onwards, so its almost 4 hours early. So hopefully will be 4 hours early for your area too!

Lets hope so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Rain here in Stoke at the moment. The rain only started an hour ago though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Mainly rain, 1.6C here in Wolverhampton.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
8 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

I think that most people in the Midlands are going to get something.

It looks like it's evening up the rest of the Midlands with our 13-14 inches a fortnight back - we have light rain in Telford...dewpoint of +2C, temp of +2.3C, so I'm not holding my breath... 

Excellent to see how many of you are getting lots, though!

Posted

Anyone get the impression Met Office have got this fantastically wrong !?

GFS and other big models dont have it snowing here for another 4 or 5 hours. It's already snowing now, and it's coming down quite heavy. It's only going to get less marginal and more cold as the night goes on, so I don't ever see it reverting back to rain. This is expected to go on for another 9 hours for my area.. 

1 minute ago, hammy said:

Turned to snow here ??

IMG_2784.JPG

Wow nice!. According to Met Office, that's all you should be getting. "maybe 1 or 2cm" is what they said. I think they're wrong...

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Rain stopped here now in Denby.Once again I feel I am to far north for any decent accumulation of snow.Just like a fortnight ago we had very little here.

Edited by Eye to the sky

Posted
2 minutes ago, kmanmx said:

GFS and other big models dont have it snowing here for another 4 or 5 hours. It's already snowing now, and it's coming down quite heavy. It's only going to get less marginal and more cold as the night goes on, so I don't ever see it reverting back to rain. This is expected to go on for another 9 hours for my area.. 

Wow nice!. According to Met Office, that's all you should be getting. "maybe 1 or 2cm" is what they said. I think they're wrong...

Thing is most parts of Ruby are on higher ground around the Lickeys , I know this area well .

Birmingham always does well in these marginal situations.  :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters
1 minute ago, Matthew Gill said:

I think someone in the BBC just looked out the window lol. Been upgraded just now to heavy snow till 5am where it was showing rain 20 mins ago.

That's the BBC Weather nowcasting for you. It drives me mad. Now I just take my brolly to work unless it's obvious there'll be no rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
Just now, kmanmx said:

kmanmx...

I think that the whole thing is moving more quickly than expected.

It could be that around midnight that most of the precipitation may have moved through.

If it hasn't then we have a problem for tomorrow with a lot of people travelling.

I am not certain as the low appears to be centred in central southern England already.

I did not think that was supposed to  happen until midnight.

Still we will see.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Northampton heavy rain all evening, temp 3.2c, pressure continuing to fall.