Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Light sometimes moderate snow showers here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, cj1 said:

What an unexpected event that was. Main roads slush and ice. I don't think they were expecting snow here in Stafford if it fell during rush hour the result would of been gridlock. Don't expect much snow to survive the night. Drip drip drip

Radford bank, queuing all the way past Asda, 9.30pm, fun event though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
4 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Kidding me? I'm down in Oxford for the night and it was just rain here :laugh: just my luck.

Was some snow in brackely (Northamptonshire) came down here just 13 miles south and rain

• Like 1

Posted

So great to be living somewhere where it doesn't take a miracle to get proper winter weather. Seen more snowfalls in Stoke this winter than in the last several London winters combined!

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

So great to be living somewhere where it doesn't take a miracle to get proper winter weather. Seen more snowfalls in Stoke this winter than in the last several London winters combined!

I think we might of had more this year than we have had for a while 

Edited by Weatherman662

Posted
1 minute ago, Weatherman662 said:

I think we might of had more this year than we have for a while 

When I was with my ex (a Stokie) she was always telling me it was snowing while I only saw rain in London. I remember on a few vists to hers it snowed, and there was one Boxing Day I came up and Stoke had thick snow on the ground. Then last winter, my first living up here I saw more snow than I had seen in London in years.

Stokies always tell me they don't get much snow yet, to a Londoner they get tonnes! Plus way more ice, frost and fog.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, MattStoke said:

When I was with my ex (a Stokie) she was always telling me it was snowing while I only saw rain in London. I remember on a few vists to hers it snowed, and there was one Boxing Day I came up and Stoke had thick snow on the ground. Then last winter, my first living up here I saw more snow than I had seen in London in years.

Stokies always tell me they don't get much snow yet, to a Londoner they get tonnes! Plus way more ice, frost and fog.

Good day that Boxing Day 2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
19 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Kidding me? I'm down in Oxford for the night and it was just rain here :laugh: just my luck.

Just settled on cars grass came down really heavy for 15 mins then stopped. Really big flakes as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
10 minutes ago, Weatherman662 said:

I think we might of had more this year than we have had for a while 

5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Lived here 10 years now and it has snowed several times each year (even during the crap winters). And besides if it doesn't snow, I only drive 15 minutes to be in snow by Leek usually or the Moorlands.

Back in Birmingham it always felt more like a once every few years event

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Is amazing what 200 or so miles can do !  I remember it snowing a fair bit on boxing Day a few years ago. I can only fully remember walking up a hill I live on and falling over though... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, biting winds, frigid temperatures and thunderstorms
47 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Loughborough got 2 inches? That'll be a kick in the teeth for the guys from Hinckley :nonono:

Woops! It was a great snow event on Sunday too! Almost makes up for the last 3 snowless winters.  Or is it 4?

Posted
5 minutes ago, RobR said:

Lived here 10 years now and it has snowed several times each year (even during the crap winters). And besides if it doesn't snow, I only drive 15 minutes to be in snow by Leek usually or the Moorlands.

Back in Birmingham it always felt more like a once every few years event

We do get snow yearly just we only get a lot of it every 3-5 years  ( sometimes more , sometimes less) It does help being higher up than some areas near by.  Eg 180 m where I am in comparison to Crewe being 50 meters.

Edited by Weatherman662

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weatherman662 said:

Is amazing what 200 or so miles can do !  I remember it snowing a fair bit on boxing Day a few years ago. I can only fully remember walking up a hill I live on and falling over though... 

Think there was a Met Office Amber warning for that one.

Rash of showers moving across Wales. Showing as snow on the Netweather radar. Not sure though. Air temp of 1.7 and dew point at -0.7.

Posted

I remember when south Wales got a red snow warning for something like 30-40 cm of snow.

3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Think there was a Met Office Amber warning for that one.

Rash of showers moving across Wales. Showing as snow on the Netweather radar. Not sure though. Air temp of 1.7 and dew point at -0.7.

If it comes down heavy enough you might just manage for some snow :reindeer-emoji:  (now that I've said that it will probs be rain) What were the temps and Dp for the snow earlier? 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Weatherman662 said:

I remember when south Wales got a red snow warning for something like 30-40 cm of snow.

If it comes down heavy enough you might just manage for some snow :reindeer-emoji:  (now that I've said that it will probs be rain) What were the temps and Dp for the snow earlier? 

Started off at 2.9 and -0.4 but fell quickly to 1.1 and -1.6. Now 1.6 and -1.0.

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Started off at 2.9 and -0.4 but fell quickly to 1.1 and -1.6. Now 1.6 and -1.0.

Might be a bit sleety then( maybe wet snow) with the slightly higher Temps+ Dew points . Let's hope not though! 

I imagine the temps will cool in the showers anyways which should help.:cold:

Posted
40 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

So much better up here ???❄️❄️❄️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Been out most of the day.

Temp 1.6C and DP of -0.4C

Sleet for 10 mins between 9:15 and 9:30. Not heavy enough here for evaporative.

MIA

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weatherman662 said:

Might be a bit sleety then( maybe wet snow) with the slightly higher Temps+ Dew points . Let's hope not though! 

I imagine the temps will cool in the showers anyways which should help.:cold:

It was fun earlier watching the transition from rain to sleet, to massive flakes of wet snow to powdery snow as the temp plummeted thanks to evaporative cooling. It absolutely hammered down and stuck fast to the wet services. Even settled on trees, telegraph poles etc. Surfaces probably still cold from the last few days.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

It was fun earlier watching the transition from rain to sleet, to massive flakes of wet snow to powdery snow as the temp plummeted thanks to evaporative cooling. It absolutely hammered down and stuck fast to the wet services. Even settled on trees, telegraph poles etc. Surfaces probably still cold from the last few days.

Was rain for a while first. Then it slowly started turning to sleet. Then BOOM snow . Covered the place in minutes. Huge flakes aswell . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
1 hour ago, Supacell said:

Just sleet in my area of Belper with a slight slushy covering but a short drive to the south and it was really coming down with big thick flakes, much heavier than anything I saw over the weekend just gone. I would estimate a couple of cm's just north of Derby (Allestree/Kedleston)

Got a covering in Denby Supacell,the snow was much heavier than last Sunday but is melting fast now.Already the most snow I've seen since 2010.Heres to a good winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
6 hours ago, Eye to the sky said:

Got a covering in Denby Supacell,the snow was much heavier than last Sunday but is melting fast now.Already the most snow I've seen since 2010.Heres to a good winter.

Did you not get anything in 2013? We got hammered in January and March that year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, MattStoke said:

True! I was at Keele Uni from '92-'96 and there were quite a few snow events and freezes up there, with nothing at home. I remember it always being so much warmer when arriving back home in London at the end of term time (all year round).