Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Jeeeez! Absolutely teeming it down here now. Was meant to be going down to Oxford to visit my family but i'm going to hold off until it passes as I ride a motorbike :laugh:

Snow has completely gone now apart from the odd patch here and there.

Screenshot_20171213-143603.png

Posted
1 hour ago, phil b said:

There was a great storm September last year, I've never known it get so dark during daylight hours

Screenshot_2016-09-13-18-03-23.png

Do you know the date of this? I suspect i was on holiday if it was around 4-10th (i remember the feeling of missing out on something when i was away) or back at University if it was after the 20th as i don't recall it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Some nice spells of sunshine now! Hopefully a chance of some snow later! :cold: 

Posted

Does anyone remember the snow event of Feb 2nd 2009. This is what first got me interested in the weather, but in the run up to that, i didn't actually look at charts etc so don't actually have a clue what happened.. I was wondering if anyone here knows the synoptic low down of what occurred, or can point me in the direction of a thread that will show me this. Many thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
52 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Do you know the date of this? I suspect i was on holiday if it was around 4-10th (i remember the feeling of missing out on something when i was away) or back at University if it was after the 20th as i don't recall it.

It happened on the 13th September  @Staffordshire

Posted

Plenty of snow still survived even on low ground about 80% cover...

Gone icy 1.8c after 4.7c max water everywhere after that heavy showery rain.

Showery snow next.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
53 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Does anyone remember the snow event of Feb 2nd 2009. This is what first got me interested in the weather, but in the run up to that, i didn't actually look at charts etc so don't actually have a clue what happened.. I was wondering if anyone here knows the synoptic low down of what occurred, or can point me in the direction of a thread that will show me this. Many thanks.

Scandi high if I remember right following an SSW. Bitter easterly on Sunday 1st brought snow showers across region - left a covering. Front then moved up from Biscay overnight, think my locale got about 12cms from it. 

Stayed cold all week if I remember right with further snow in places, but then with everyone ramping a cold Feb to remember due to the SSW, it turned milder and that was that.

Thats my recollection!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Pretty miserable day today, with light rain on and off for most of daylight hours, though there was a little hazy sunshine late on. Still a mostly complete icy cover on roads and untreated pavements, but large green gaps on the grass now. Max 4.5 °C and Currently 2.6 °C.

I confess to feeling a little down now. Don't get me wrong, the period from Friday through to Tuesday evening is a 10/10 without question and will live long in the memory. But it's a real shame it had to go out this way. It would have been so much nicer if the thaw had been a dry and sunny one.

I think I'll feel better once all the messy slush has gone, even if we don't get any more snow. It's not as if it's likely to match this event anyway! Give me some quiet weather with sunny days and frosty nights over the next couple of months and I'll be fairly happy. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Temps falling further now...

down to 2.2C with a dew point of -0.4C.

Interestingly the dew point is falling faster than the absolute temperature.

Will soon be signalling snow later on.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

No storms over Belper this year and only about 2cm of snow this weekend. If I didn't drive I would be giving up on this years weather. 

A wintry mix expected tonight, but any elevation will help in getting accumulations and over the highest ground things could turn quite wintry with squally wind gusts and snow.

• Like 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Pretty miserable day today.

I think I'll feel better once all the messy slush has gone, even if we don't get any more snow. It's not as if it's likely to match this event anyway! Give me some quiet weather with sunny days and frosty nights over the next couple of months and I'll be fairly happy. :)

Agree with your first line countryfile weather was spot on for today.

Well until it starts to freeze then expect slush and crunch crunch ice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff
2 hours ago, Staffordshire said:

Yeah it was on the 13th, absolute cracker of a storm when I took that screen grab  we were getting a 62 strike rate per minute! what stood out for me was just how dark it went even though it was 6pm

Posted

13th September. I had an exam in Birmingham that day. Got home just before the sky caved in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yes, was great, about same amount as this, 2 events on Monday and Thursday, my location too far NW for the 'bullseye' but great event, SE had another event on 6th, but missed here, suppose a bit like monday just gone

archives-2009-2-2-12-0.pngarchives-2009-2-5-12-0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Band of rain moving across Wales is turning increasingly wintry and it gets further east could be another few cm of snow for some parts this evening

aa9dc732-fbec-43eb-82c9-9b51f055a941.thumb.png.281f96e47cc8286c2c99ba6577cf93b8.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
29 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Band of rain moving across Wales is turning increasingly wintry and it gets further east could be another few cm of snow for some parts this evening

aa9dc732-fbec-43eb-82c9-9b51f055a941.thumb.png.281f96e47cc8286c2c99ba6577cf93b8.png

looks a bit hilly, feel 104m too low, could see it perhaps being sleety, but 300m plus few cm's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Temperature and dew points definitely dropping!

272F5B6A-87C0-484F-BB4D-698F1DDE3D91.thumb.png.237fc7b8108e389053c1944839caef0c.png

Even if the precipitation does fall as sleet, that’ll still be better than plain old rain (lol)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Drifting Snow, Torrential Rain, Scorching Sun.

Heavy wet snow, white wonderland again in less than 15 minutes. Large snow flakes quickly soaked-up wet surfaces!