Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

quite a thaw overnight, for me, those in the west of the region though, could have some of their snow upto Xmas, unless the EC is right, maybe record breaking temps on there, just hope it's dry

ECM1-192.GIF?13-12

Posted

An inversion more likely happen on that chart,no record mild.

Max temp 4c this morning,no ice as the forecasts keep saying hardly anywhere I shouldn`t think.

They mean ice with the already lying snow,that doesn`t count,today`s thaw will continue,about 98% snowcover.

Showery snow later frost tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

The snow gods keep teasing - even the MetO is showing light snow.....

97C0704B-F1DB-4E70-9B3A-9D0A43912A32.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
8 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

The snow gods keep teasing - even the MetO is showing light snow.....

97C0704B-F1DB-4E70-9B3A-9D0A43912A32.png

Hmmmm, can't see it happening Fizzy, sorry :sorry: hope i'm wrong though!

Look what the models are churning out for next week... disgusting:bad:

GFSOPEU06_138_1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Looks like game over for any chances of snow over the Christmas period now. Horrible out there today. Snow melting and looking horrible now.

I think it's too soon to rule it out altogether, TW...It would only need a short, sharp burst of Arctic air (something akin to what happened over the past weekend) for snow to fall at Christmas (so long as the Big Day itself falls on the weekend of course!:cold-emoji:)...Personally though, I doubt it'll happen!:cray:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, andy_leics22 said:

GFSOPEU06_138_1.png

As long as its not wet and windy its not to bad. Shame white xmas chances are about 0 though. 

Posted

GFSOPEU06_138_1.png

Not nice :unsure2: , hopefully we can get all the mild weather out of the way before new years . End of Dec into Jan always a good bet for decent cold snap. Who knows :wink: 

Bye bye snow :cray:

Edited by mildmuck
typo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

5c here now. Yes, snow is about gone. :sorry:

Not convinced about anything after the following week. Still not looking like last couple of years. Glass half full at the moment!:smile:

Posted

Almost complete snow cover still, despite the rain (of which there seems to be a lot more around than forecast). When is it due to turn colder, and how cold? 

No matter what the holiday period brings, 17-18 has already proven itself a different beast from even "normal" winters, let alone the dross ones of 2013-17.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

GFSOPEU06_138_1.png

You’d think, and yet the MetO has upgraded to heavy snow now! ?

(Although frankly I’d like it to go away now until Christmas week, so I don’t have to keep worrying about keeping our business open)

14E9126D-DF7A-44D0-B45C-D8257ED81B30.png

Edited by fizz511

Posted

Well I don't care what it does now...after the last 4 winters, that'll do me nicely thank you.

OK, it was much shorter than the 2010 and 2013 spells and it's all turning to muck now, but it's been so good to get some significant snow and cold back again. I really had lost interest over the past couple of years. The lack of thunder this summer was almost the final nail in the coffin.

I for one am very happy and have found my interest for weather has sparked back into life a little bit.

So we have some milder weather returning...at least we're not sitting at the end of February wondering if we can get some kind of consolation snow before the Spring like we've had to since 2014. Can enter Spring 2018 a bit more chipper this time around!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted

It was great while it lasted but heavy rain is turning what is left quickly to slush. Such a shame as it was feeling very festive. Maybe one day we will get a long period of cold with a decent dumping of snow :) 2010 was cold but I think we had more snow here last weekend? I was in Telford at that point in time and we had lots of snow days but I think Shrewsbury missed out??

Posted

December 2010 was fantastic but was also a bit back to front here. At the start of the month, we got a quick cm or 2 from bands of showers that made it here from the northeast but it took until the 18th until we saw anything really signicant. Still an amazing month and the snow cover did stay for a very long time. Also had the bonus of some incredible frost and rime in the 2nd week of the month.

This spell we just had will be remembered and I can see us using it as a reference for future events, but more for it's impact than its longevity.

I think we'll be refering to "that weekend in December 2017" rather than December 2017 as a whole!

Edited by Gord

Posted
50 minutes ago, Gord said:

Well I don't care what it does now...after the last 4 winters, that'll do me nicely thank you.

OK, it was much shorter than the 2010 and 2013 spells and it's all turning to muck now, but it's been so good to get some significant snow and cold back again. I really had lost interest over the past couple of years. The lack of thunder this summer was almost the final nail in the coffin.

I for one am very happy and have found my interest for weather has sparked back into life a little bit.

So we have some milder weather returning...at least we're not sitting at the end of February wondering if we can get some kind of consolation snow before the Spring like we've had to since 2014. Can enter Spring 2018 a bit more chipper this time around!

This resonates with me, the absolute dullness of weather over the past few years was what was making my interest wain. Not even a decent storm i can note since 4th July (2015?). But i am now satisfied with what this latest spell has brought.

Posted

I'm not satisfied if the rest of the winter is mild. I detest mild winter weather.

Met Office warning tonight for ice, with the mention of snow. Could see a few cm over higher ground and some localised accumulations lower down.

31D3FEF3-A586-486C-B799-88DDE4A41AE3.jpeg

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff
18 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

This resonates with me, the absolute dullness of weather over the past few years was what was making my interest wain. Not even a decent storm i can note since 4th July (2015?). But i am now satisfied with what this latest spell has brought.

There was a great storm September last year, I've never known it get so dark during daylight hours

Screenshot_2016-09-13-18-03-23.png

Posted

If last weekend is all we get snow wise this winter then I will be disappointed. Obviously pleased for you lot in the West Midlands but for us over in the East Midlands especially Nottingham area, its another sad tale of what might have been. Most of the snow that did fall was mostly gone by Monday. Just didn't happen for us again, made all the worse when your hearing places like Birmingham getting so much snow, a little over 40 miles away. that's how close we were :wallbash: The heavy stuff just never made it across

However glass half full, the little snow we did get is still far more than we got last winter, when i'm not sure we even saw a single flake. Also plenty of winter still left so heres hoping we get a shot at another decent snowfall 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Following the quite heavy rain at lunchtime the temperature is now falling again.

Was at 5.7C at 12:45, now down to 4.8C 1.5 hrs later.

Dew Point still high at 4.0C but is falling.

It will be interesting to see  what happens wrt these values during the brighter afternoon.

MIA 

Posted
55 minutes ago, phil b said:

There was a great storm September last year, I've never known it get so dark during daylight hours

Screenshot_2016-09-13-18-03-23.png

Yep, remember it well. That alongside the stormy June were the savours of 2016, just like last weekend has saved 2017!