Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, WinterWilf said:

Gonna be pretty cold when that rain pushes in. Will be interesting looking at the 18z 

1 degress on bbc for my location, only 3 max on Wed, higher though on GFS, 3C by 6pm Tues

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

1 degress on bbc for my location, only 3 max on Wed, higher though on GFS, 3C by 6pm Tues

I have had snow appear on the bbc forecast for me at 7pm tomorrow night only for an hour though. Before heavy rain.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Absolutely freezing out there currently -5c

• Like 1

Posted

Some of the individual flakes falling yesterday afternoon in the garden.... must have been very cold aloft for these to fall... but yesterday managed a couple of inches eventually.... -5c dew -7c cold.... got woodburner on 

2DBFD2C5-17C5-4441-81A3-68CA6DC9FA08.jpeg

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Some of the individual flakes falling yesterday afternoon in the garden.... must have been very cold aloft for these to fall... but yesterday managed a couple of inches eventually.... -5c dew -7c cold.... got woodburner on 

2DBFD2C5-17C5-4441-81A3-68CA6DC9FA08.jpeg

Great photo.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Woodburner on since 7am.... love these modern ones only a log every hour and a half... very efficient 

CA30EE1B-9262-451A-89A1-487647A4D35F.jpeg

Will, you look like having a dumping Wed night, perfect setup for hills

gfs-1-54.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Will, you look like having a dumping Wed night, perfect setup for hills

gfs-1-54.png?12

Would like to think so.... don’t really want to contemplate until it’s actually falling, even at my height.... at home watching Swansea vs city Wednesday night.... see a few models going for 5-7cms here...

Posted
2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Would like to think so.... don’t really want to contemplate until it’s actually falling, even at my height.... at home watching Swansea vs city Wednesday night.... see a few models going for 5-7cms here...

8 inches from ecm.... don’t think so..... more like 1-2 at most....

30CD7D6A-195B-426D-8ED5-B5639E869C96.png

Posted
3 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

8 inches from ecm.... don’t think so..... more like 1-2 at most....

30CD7D6A-195B-426D-8ED5-B5639E869C96.png

Yes, it's been on the wine, 1.6 for around here, absolutely no chance off W'ly, even with -10 uppers I'd see none

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
1 hour ago, 'ColdIsBest' said:

-2°C here now.

The side roads are all turning to ice rinks where people have used their own salt to melt the snow which has now frozen over.

I don't get this theory at all. This type of snow is very powdery. Infact it is probably the nicest snow I've seen before. You can barely make a ball shape out of it and its like icing sugar to kick.

Where the cars have compressed the snow down, the roads are fine. Paths are also not slippy either. However, the problem areas are where people used stuff to try and melt it and its refrozen. Now that is dangerous!

Anyway, a fantastic day, felt like the Alps earlier down in Quinton. And although the snow isn't as deep up here, there has been zero melt today (unlike Friday/Sat when it was melting quickly). Perfect weather.

One more day of this before the gunk maybe?

• Like 2

Posted

Love this an inch of snow and nope schools cancelled.... more like can’t be bothered to go to school... up here things carry on... oh dear... I’m a southerner and remember the train debacles over an inch of snow.... from bbc

4B680D24-4194-40B4-917D-53B8888DC2B5.png

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
6 minutes ago, RobR said:

I don't get this theory at all. This type of snow is very powdery. Infact it is probably the nicest snow I've seen before. You can barely make a ball shape out of it and its like icing sugar to kick.

Where the cars have compressed the snow down, the roads are fine. Paths are also not slippy either. However, the problem areas are where people used stuff to try and melt it and its refrozen. Now that is dangerous!

Anyway, a fantastic day, felt like the Alps earlier down in Quinton. And although the snow isn't as deep up here, there has been zero melt today (unlike Friday/Sat when it was melting quickly). Perfect weather.

One more day of this before the gunk maybe?

It is lovely and powdery, due to the air being so cold when it fell. I've spent hours out walking and not slipped once. Crystal clear skies and cold, clean air. Gorgeous weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Posted
1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Snowy...

All the areas in the central Midlands who were expected to have very low temps are now expecting cloud (according to your map). Most of the mins are about -5C now. Who produced this fore-cast?.

I guess it is correct as it now has gone very 'hazy' here.

My temperature is currently -3.9C, here in a fairly central Solihull next to some 'open' land.

MIA

It`s the current map but cloud has broke up again now so its -1.7c.... seems like the earlier cloud spoiled things to get very low temp,as -3.8c at 3pm it was going down dramatically.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted

Temperature outside now showing -6.1C but quite exposed where I live with open fields opposite. Still plenty of snow around from yesterday.

Edited by videoman
Add text
  • Like 1

Posted

Shawbury at -9, pretty sure that's the coldest since Dec 2010. The winter of 2012-13 was really lacking in notably low minima, considering how much snow and low maxima it had.

Really nice to experience that crunch of feet on frozen snow again, it's been a long time! 

Posted
2 hours ago, RobR said:

I don't get this theory at all. This type of snow is very powdery.

It's not powdery here.

The snow is all rock solid and crunchy.

I can't even open the wheely bin as it's frozen shut.

-3°C now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

-6.9C here now, did briefly start rising a couple of hours ago, but just falling away now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Shawbury reporting -10.3 °C at midnight. Not sure when the last -10 was in our region?

A balmy -5 °C here.