Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Well still snowing well here no sign of it stopping yet and certainly no thaw today, hard to tell how much as it’s windy here with drifts everywhere 

Posted

I've seen plenty of talk of a snow shield in certain places, where I am theres more of a snow filter, when there's snow in the area filtering out all the good stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Just been outside for first measurement and currently showing just over 5 inches or 13cms here in Wythall (just west of Solihull), 6 inches on the grass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

A gap on the radar is around Stoke at the moment, couldn't make it up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Polar Low said:

MetOffice have played an absolute blinder. It's a warning area to be prepared, and many in that area have received exactly what the MetO predicted.

Well played to them.

I'm just quoting what can be seen out the window, thats all, nothing else.

Posted

The Met Office should have removed Cheshire/Staffs out the amber warning this morning but they didn't.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, DIS1970 said:

I'm just quoting what can be seen out the window, thats all, nothing else.

So it's another classic Met Office cockup in terms relative only to your back garden? :D :diablo:

Posted
1 minute ago, Weatherman662 said:

I agree . Most of that area has had hardly anything !

It was obvious even yesterday this would happen and it did but they still insisted on an amber. Maybe the very south west of Staffs is bad near the Shropshire border but everywhere else is fine.

Posted

Unless they were certain that the area would not be affected, then they were right to keep the warning. Keyword being 'warning', folks. If there was any risk of significant disruption to that area this morning, then they couldn't possibly (nor should they) have removed the warning. It does absolutely no harm, they aren't there to get your hopes up, they are in place to protect people.

It's better to have the warning there than not, nobody ever got injured, delayed, or killed because it didn't snow.

Edited by Polar Low
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, RobR said:

It was obvious even yesterday this would happen and it did but they still insisted on an amber. Maybe the very south west of Staffs is bad near the Shropshire border but everywhere else is fine.

I've got six inches of snow here in South Staffs near Wombourne and just outside Wolverhampton

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

I've got six inches of snow here in South Staffs near Wombourne and just outside Wolverhampton

I've got maybe 3 or 4 inches of level snow, can't say for sure due to the wind blowing it around. Just like heavy dandruff falling now.

Edited by DIS1970
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
34 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Thank God it's Sunday with all roads not good, public transport all over the shop, airports shut and even the M1 closed!!!  it would be a nightmare if this was a work day.

Yes, it's good timing for minimising the bad side - and I'm really glad the forecast for Telford was downgraded for today - at one point there was strong confidence for 20+cm today on top of the existing 15+cm and then possibly another 15-20cm tomorrow... those are the levels where people start suffering in inexperienced urban areas - and the number of people who didn't know Friday's snow was coming, and on Friday afternoon spoke to several people who hadn't any idea more was expected today...  so non-NW people seem very unprepared... :(

Posted
23 minutes ago, SalopWatcher said:

No sign of a let up here in Shrewsbury! Looks like as the low moves away the more intense stuff over Wales is being dragged out way. We shall see. 

met office radar struggling to get on that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The snow is now very light with only another 4cm or so added to what was already lying. This area was right on the northern edge of the main snow, just as the GFS predicted it would be a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, DIS1970 said:

I've got maybe 3 or 4 inches of level snow, can't say for sure due to the wind blowing it around.

I'm out in the countryside in Lower Penn. Six inches of snow here.

Posted

Currently -0.1C in Halesowen, measured 9cms level at 9am this morning.  Looking at various radar sites, I can see this being light snow pretty much all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Snow coming down finely here now. Just made a VERY treacherous trip to the petrol station so I have fuel to get to work tomorrow. I live in a small rural village. Roads have not been gritted our ploughed at all. Had to turn TC off, and give it a lot of welly just to get out the village (slight hill). I spent the entire journey fishtailing down the road, rear overtaking the front going down hills.. losing all traction and steering everytime I hit a deep patch of snow. My car is 300hp FWD with Pilot Cup Sport 2 summer tyres. Not the ideal winter machine tbf :D:D

Wicked fun though. 

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 1