Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Will the intensity not increase once it pivots and slips south?? 

Posted
1 minute ago, Rich_T said:

East midlands airport weather suggests Lightsnow ( now) Snow, then heavy snow, birmingham Snow, light snow, snow, heavy snow

From what i understand these are compiled from a metrologist at the airport

East midlands airport : http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/united-kingdom-ireland.php?icao=EGNX

Birmingham: http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/united-kingdom-ireland.php?icao=EGBB

East Midlands isnt too far South from here. Am I reading it right it is saying 40% probablity for snow and 40% probablity for heavy snow from 10-12?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Agree with the most. Radar suggests slowing down by just seems as heavy and with the winds got some nice drifting going on

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Absolutely freezing here with snow starting to drift a little. Temp -2.1c wind chill -5.8c and Dp -2.9c

Posted
33 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

I think I will call this a proper old fashioned  snowstorm ,gusty winds heavy snow what more could a snow junkie want on a Sunday morning:cold::yahoo:

Yes indeedy powdery fine snow drifting windy from the east/NE you couldn`t ask for much more.

-1.5c temp currently lower than I expected this morning,with a min of -4.1c as temps earlier yesterday evening were 0.8c.huh.png.78102027028e9ea36246f7e5cfc55ad9.png

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

My heavy snow symbols have been extended from 11am till 1pm.and light snow thereafter. Are they expecting the system to re-intensify ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

All I can say guys and gals is enjoy and ramp the hell out of it!!! After the past 3/4 winters of dross we have had, we have certainly earned it!! Lost count of how many times I would have a look at the mod thread in the morning to see knocker posting charts off blowtorch south westerlies and picture of daffodils and no hope in site.

Edited by JOPRO
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, i love snow said:

My heavy snow symbols have been extended from 11am till 1pm.and light snow thereafter. Are they expecting the system to re-intensify ?

A) No, the system won't pep up significantly now, the opposite in fact but intensity should still be solid at times.

B) Those symbols you see are based on computer interpretations of charts, not human input. Take subtle variations like that with a pinch of salt. 

:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

This is insane!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: Still snowing here and our garden has pretty much disappeared. Whole street is under snow - no one is moving today!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, i love snow said:

Yes I think so. I have snow right through till midnight  perhaps to do with the pivot? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Temps dropping here, a hour ago was at 0.4c now at -0.4c and still moderated snow falling and currently at 15cm :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Morning everyone. Serious stuff in my neck of the woods -- 12 cm of fresh snowfall and a max level depth of 18 cm on those surfaces which stayed out of the sun yesterday. I'm pretty sure that makes this the deepest snow here for 20+ years! (1991 was deeper; can't find stats for 1996. Max total depth in Dec 2010 was 16 cm.) Unless you have a 4x4, you're not going anywhere on the local roads.

Taken together with Friday's event, this is undoubtedly one of the great snowfall events for my area.

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
12 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Make your own mind up, still coming down nice here and looking at the radar still a fair few hours yet.

DWW..      

Wind blowing and drifting the snow.

Flakes smaller now, but it is still accumulating and the drifting is quite something.

Temperature maintaining a steady -0.5C here. 

A good 10 -12 cms now.

Enclosed some photos of my garden (taken from my lounge window where I am sat watching -

It has taken me an hour to upload this. The snow is deeper now with the temp varying between -0.5 and -0.6C

MIA

image.png

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, WalsallWeather said:

When are we expecting this to quieten down and reduce to just showers? 

Towards the end of February :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

We must be getting close to the December 1990  event now, from my childhood memories of that event snow depth is about the same! Guess that means we will have a Feburay 91 to follow!!! Lol