Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
16 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Like a little blizzard here in Solihull. Some gusts of wind blowing the little things (flakes) about all over the place! :cold: 

The intensity is quite heavy and the flakes are getting bigger 5p size.....The wind, like you said.. BLIZZARD!!!:help:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Morning! Morning!

Sorry I’m late, I overslept!

*stumbles off to coffee machine*

So, hows the Midlands Snow Lovers meeting going?  Got about 6 inches here I’d say.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

You’d be gutted right now if you live in Sheffield or across to Manchester, so close to the snow but think the move north has now stalled. Their loss is our gain though!

• Like 1

Posted

Nothing to add really, we're doing very well out of this so far in the higher parts of Dudley. 

Something caught my eye on the radar though. There is a thin line of very heavy precipitation running across South Wales down towards the Bristol area. Is this a front separating the cold from the less cold air? Almost looks like a squall. 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Moderate persistent snow now with the hills white out here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Lots of main roads including the A5, A458 and A49 are shut around here now. That’s huge. Local estate roads impassable, and main roads in town struggling. 

Will be many villages cut cut off in shropshire for the next 24 hours. A friend has just told us they have 8 inches (20cm) out in Baschurch (10 miles out of town) when measured. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold
1 minute ago, Gustywind said:

You’d be gutted right now if you live in Sheffield or across to Manchester, so close to the snow but think the move north has now stalled. Their loss is our gain though!

Bah, I don't feel sorry for them, especially Sheffield. They get way more snow than we do down south.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
3 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

Same here, seems to have got heavier in the last hour, really coming down now. Temp and DP have slightly dropped as well.

Yep 

As is being reported from many areas it is getting more intense now.

In central Solihull the temp is dropping steadily now down to -0.5C,the wind is picking up and blowing the snow around and forming drifts. (even in the centre).

We have an estimated 8 - 10cms and it is getting heavier.

could well have 20 -25cms if this keeps going until pm.

It could become very difficult to keep even major roads open, shortly.

MIA

• Like 2

Posted

Moderate now with some bigger flakes. About 3cm.

Posted

Blizzard conditions here outside Much Wenlock - drifting snow is several feet deep - I live down a 400m inclined farm track and stand to be completely cut off until somebody brings a tractor down.  The lights have started flickering recently.  Good job I filled the cupboards with food yesterday and have a pallet load of coal and a car on winter tyres, but others are invariably going to be unprepared and if this carries on all day its going to be serious for people living in remote elevated areas.

Also in March 2013 drifted snow was still around 3 weeks later in mid-April - I have a pic of a warm spring BBQ with drinks chilling in the still thawing snow!  So if we get that amount or more then its not just going to magically clear up over the week.

Edited by neil_b
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

White out in Evesham roads are atrocious and gonna get a whole lot worse yet as previously is intensifying on the radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Ok, this is getting pretty serious now :laugh: can't see anyone moving off our road today unless the gritters come down here!  Doesn't bother me though, i'm loving it haha!

I have no idea how the wall in tront of our house has about 8 inches on it. There is around 4-5 inches on the pavements but that wall makes it look even better :laugh:

20171210_083803.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Anyone near Banbury? Or is that in the SE thread lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
1 minute ago, SalopWatcher said:

Lots of main roads including the A5, A458 and A49 are shut around here now. That’s huge. Local estate roads impassable, and main roads in town struggling. 

Will be many villages cut cut off in shropshire for the next 24 hours. A friend has just told us they have 8 inches (20cm) out in Baschurch (10 miles out of town) when measured. 

I'm a newcomer round here, only lived here for 3 years, but I hope there are enough long-term village-dwellers out there to help the newly-arrived village-dwellers, if that makes sense? I lived in Scotland before, and when it became a Thing to run a business from home online, a lot of people moved to beautiful rural villages, and rebuilt the old cottages to have huge great big windows and rip out the old ranges and put in the newest electric ones... you get the picture :) All well and good, and revitalised local economies so no bad thing overall - but when the heavy snows hit they were totally unprepared for it... fingers crossed there are still plenty of farmers with tractors to get cars out of drifts, and so on!

We're within Telford, but all the same the silence out there is eerie - no traffic... Sadly, I've noticed how few kids there are out in it, Friday, yesterday, this morning... Friday we saw nobody else out on foot when we walked to the shops a mile away to the south, and Saturday when it was sunny on the fallen snow, we only saw half a dozen people on foot when we walked a mile east to other shops. Two teens with plastic sleds, but that was it. And they were walking, on a steeply sloping footpath cross sloping grassland...!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

good morning my old midland compadres!.....enjoying the snow?.....good stuff, and I'm glad to see a lot of you are getting the dumping....here along the M4 we've had a few inches overnight, it turned bck to rain with a partial melt, but the winds have switched back with a more northerly component as the complex LP tracks ESE and the rain back to snow......so I reckon the milder air is reachest it's northernmost point so if you already have snow then it will stay as snow...good luck!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Still snowing heavily here in the Malvern Hills - easily 10 cm lying snow now.

Snow_10Dec2017_back_4.png

Snow_10Dec2017_back_1.png

Posted
8 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

UK Snow now trending on twitter! I have around six inches of lying snow here now. Three inches fallen since around half four. I'm just outside Wolverhampton.

Six inches! Where are you in south staffs, i am Gentleshaw and have no where near that.

Posted

Does anyone know how to clear the reply editor permanently when using an iPad? Every time I go to post, I have to clear a previously quoted post - it’s driving me mad?!

Anyhow, here’s my garden so far.....

846D433F-DC92-4EB5-A90F-064A515F3C44.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
10 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Yep 

As is being reported from many areas it is getting more intense now.

In central Solihull the temp is dropping steadily now down to -0.5C,the wind is picking up and blowing the snow around and forming drifts. (even in the centre).

We have an estimated 8 - 10cms and it is getting heavier.

could well have 20 -25cms if this keeps going until pm.

It could become very difficult to keep even major roads open, shortly.

MIA

Yep got about 10cms now I reckon in around 5 hours, so 2cm per hour. Assuming at least 2 more hours of heavier snowfall then perhaps 3 hours of lighter snowfall (1cm per hour) then perhaps 17cms?? Think that’s a fairly conservative estimate given Met Office has snow here on and off till 1am!!! Got to be looking at 15-20cms.

Posted
5 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

good morning my old midland compadres!.....enjoying the snow?.....good stuff, and I'm glad to see a lot of you are getting the dumping....here along the M4 we've had a few inches overnight, it turned bck to rain with a partial melt, but the winds have switched back with a more northerly component as the complex LP tracks ESE and the rain back to snow......so I reckon the milder air is reachest it's northernmost point so if you already have snow then it will stay as snow...good luck!

Hi AJ - nice to see you pop back!

Come on in, the snow’s lovely ?