Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
4 minutes ago, bearing said:

Well that's alright then... :wallbash:

Funny, isn't it? All weekend and Friday people have been banging on about the NW Midlands getting hammered, and this part of the NW Midlands ends up with some of the smallest amounts of snow in the entire region.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted

Still a good 15cm or so here after some thawing by sunlight - everything which was melting is now satisfyingly crunchy underfoot and icicles have formed.  Seeing as I tend to get more than surrounding areas owing to elevation, and heavy drifting thanks to being on a south facing hill surrounded by open fields, tomorrow is going to be a very interesting day indeed!  If this comes off I could see 40cm or more of accumulated snow.  In March 2013 we had 5ft+ drifts.

Edited by neil_b
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, WinterWilf said:

Anybody close to burton on trent?

If what do you think about the snow chances.

Hi mate. I live in Burton. By the looks of it well miss the worse. Some light snow at best but looks very patchy. 

Posted

Also the shower yesturday they only said around 2 - 5 cm on low levels. Shrewsbury is low level and we got probs around half a foot here. So until Sunday evening will we really know the true outcome.

Oh and the met o just updated the weather symbols for here and it's now got heavy snow pretty much all day, Werid do they no something we dont. Hope so :)

Edited by Matty23

Posted
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Funny, isn't it? All weekend and Friday people have been banging on about the NW Midlands getting hammered, and this part of the NW Midlands ends up with some of the smallest amounts of snow in the entire region.

If it was rain we'd be drowning in the stuff!:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, bearing said:

If it was rain we'd be drowning in the stuff!:rofl:

yes definitely, think we are too far north, unless we can get a 18th Dec 2010 setup, and get around 6cms

Posted

Euro4 looks good for us in the far north of the region. Seems to be on its own though. GFS is not bad either really.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted

I'm sure many will see a snow day tomorrow, the met office tend to be on the money in these situations so everyone needs to chill out and watch the white stuff falling from the sky.

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

ECM is awful for anyone north of Birmingham. Very little snow at all tomorrow, if any.

Wouldnt bother with the ecm at this stage stick to meto and the gfs!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
15 minutes ago, Winter-Chaser said:

Hi mate. I live in Burton. By the looks of it well miss the worse. Some light snow at best but looks very patchy. 

Thanks so the usual story for us then. Can hope it doesn't go as planned. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
4 hours ago, Paul33 said:

So I'm in Peterborough which is Midlands as far as I'm concerned ...... what should I be expecting this weekend ?!!!!

IMO Peterborough is in a very good position. Far enough North to not be bothered by the mild sector and far enough South to be in the main band of precip. I work in oundle so not far from Peterborough. Nice area :)

Posted

Looking at the models I'm too far north for the biggest falls. Who knows it may correct north certainly don't want it to correct any further south.  Met office still keeping us in the orange warning area so may still be a significant fall. In these situations I tend to trust the met office expertise over what the free models show.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The meto Peak District forecast for here is looking good..

A few snow flurries through the early hours with more persistent snow arriving towards dawn. The snow becomes heavier through the morning, especially across more southern hills around the Buxton and Bakewell area. Blizzard or whiteout conditions are possible with strong to gale force easterly winds. During the afternoon the snow becomes lighter and patchier before largely dying out during the evening with some clear spells developing in the north.

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the models I'm too far north for the biggest falls. Who knows it may correct north certainly don't want it to correct any further south.  Met office still keeping us in the orange warning area so may still be a significant fall. In these situations I tend to trust the met office expertise over what the free models show.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Just now, andy_leics22 said:

IMO Peterborough is in a very good position. Far enough North to not be bothered by the mild sector and far enough South to be in the main band of precip. I work in oundle so not far from Peterborough. Nice area :)

hello me old mucka....it's all going sarf mate....M4 corridor.....will do a mobile post tomorrow from my sledge :bomb::wink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Bloody hell look on here and it’s all over the shop , people saying hardly any snow now here and loads here sweet spot here etc etc, nobody knows now it’s going to be a nowcast radar job, just relax and see what happens. Even the models don’t no now, it’s the weather it may feel like going a bit north or then again it might just touch the south mids and they get loads where as the rest get none. I’m sure by 9 am we will all no what’s happening 

• Like 1

Posted

Difference between the models and met office is huge now. Some areas of Northern England are in that amber warning. Met Office looking very lonely at the moment.

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowy L said:

Difference between the models and met office is huge now. Some areas of Northern England are in that amber warning. Met Office looking very lonely at the moment.

Wonder if they'll shift the entire warning area south. Guess we'll see over the next few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
14 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ECM is awful for anyone north of Birmingham. Very little snow at all tomorrow, if any.

How did you come to this ? Do have the precipitation charts or a link please

All Ive got is the (Icelandic MO) http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic/#type=prec

The ECM 12z precipitation charts don't show itself for a hour or so yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

I think if I was to have a guess at it I think little will go north of say Wolverhampton and I’d say high ground of say Worcester will be the so called sweet spot purely just guess work from what I’m seeing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Just gona give up for now always shocking for snow round here.  

Just going to wait for the event and see.

Might get abit more hopfully than what the models say. 

Have a good night you guys.

Hope you get some heavy snow!