Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

if your are using chrome, hit the menu three dots and select request desktop site.

as for the snow, I'm expecting a snow to rain event, then anything else is a bonus.

Long time since I posted on here, what happened to Mr crazy snowfan?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
2 minutes ago, Zak 92 said:

Looks like a decent sized shower heading this way :)

Hope so dude, currently in Leicester doing Christmas shopping. Good old Highcross or 'Shires' as i still call it :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
1 hour ago, kmanmx said:

Perhaps, but I wouldn't be quite so pessimistic Andy. Some of the senior and more respected forecasters in the model threads are saying the general trend is indicating Snow north of M4 and Greater london. They all seem in agreement, as do the MetO, that the snowline will be 30 miles or so south of where the models are showing. I am not surprised, the temperature predictions for Northampton are a max of 1c, most of the day it is freezing or below. I know there is a lot more too it with 850hpa temps and dew points, but ground temps close to freezing do help. I'd say this is certainly less marginal than I am used to, the past few times it's snowed it's been 2 or 3c with -5 or -6 850 temps instead of the preferable -8. Ultra marginal wet affairs :( so this is actually nicely not too marginal for once. 

I wonder if one day midlanders will get a nice event where the 2 meter temps are -5c at 0m ASL, the 850 temps are -12c, and there is a bucket load of precipitation. Lots of snow, and zero marginality. :D:D One day I hope.

i like your optimism and really hope it turns out to be an all snow event here in northampton.  its about time we got something memorable after so many 'drought' years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, biting winds, frigid temperatures and thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

With all this supposed snow lying around the met office as us in negative fig's all day Monday......Feels like :shok:

image.thumb.png.cf99d8a99456af178917394a8fd5e245.pngimage.thumb.png.ed453f5fac8d05cbc03a4c2e92818259.pngimage.thumb.png.62ae3cac637fa40bd7d846581bec2e17.png

A great day to walk the dog then ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
15 minutes ago, TheIceManCometh said:

Do you want the definition of irony?

I'm hosting an ice skating show:rofl:

Hahahaha

oh, bless ya

#youcouldntmakeitup

Posted

Not sure what XC Weather uses for its data but it goes for 20cms and max wind gust of 36mph tomorrow. Could be the potential for some severe snow drifts over exposed areas.

Posted
1 minute ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Why6 are the BBC forecasts saying that the snow will turn to rain during the day??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2646867

Shows snow throughout so presume same for your area. It has significantly shortened the length of which it will snow though now ending by 5pm tomorrow. It was all the way till 3pm Monday at one point. Even a few hours ago it was until 5am Monday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Anyone else on RainToday seeing a streamer setting up for the Stoke/Staffs area this afternoon? We literally had a gap of about 30 minutes just where the sun came out but snowing again now. Ground temps must be quite high as the melt rate is quick on tarmac.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
30 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Showers moving away from here now.

However the upper cirrus and strata cloud seems to be moving in already from the West.

I was not expecting it until later on.

Slight worry as it may mean it is coming earlier and could indicate more development ,with more incursion of the warm air.  

Also the ground will not be as cold tomorrow morning.  Probably me being over nervous:nonono:

MIA

yes, definitely high cloud to the west

Posted
25 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Hope so dude, currently in Leicester doing Christmas shopping. Good old Highcross or 'Shires' as i still call it :laugh:

Here’s hoping it make it here before breaking up ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
6 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Why6 are the BBC forecasts saying that the snow will turn to rain during the day??

Just watched the BBC TV weather (BBC NEWS 24) not sure what your watching but just snow for you in Bedworth

The website was updated at 12:04 and no sign of rain at all and no sign of a thaw either..... Mon/Tue :cold:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2656031

Posted
48 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Tbh, Kettering is about 15 miles north of Rushden and you have an even better chance of snow than me so you should be ok.

Yes I should be, but staying pessimistic and then even a snow shower will be a bonus! Though I'm also basing it on the snow area getting smaller with every forecast, and the duration too. If it carries on like that, I'll be lucky to get ten minutes :)

Posted

What are the Chances for Chesterfield tomorrow? Right on the border between south Yorkshire, all seems very down hearted in the regional forum there and very optimistic in here! Im split right between the 2!

Posted

Something the various high resolution models are showing is far less snow in an area directly west of the Peak District. I hope that won't ruin things here, being just just south west of the Peak District. 

Posted
Just now, MattStoke said:

Something the various high resolution models are showing is far less snow in an area directly west of the Peak District. I hope that won't ruin things here, being just just south west of the Peak District. 

Happened in March 2013 too. Everywhere seemed to have huge amounts, but barely a covering here!

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

depends on northern limit, not expected to get north of Cheshire

Posted
24 minutes ago, Zak 92 said:

Here’s hoping it make it here before breaking up ?

Radar saying loughborough under big shower but still dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
7 minutes ago, wrcstarlet said:

What are the Chances for Chesterfield tomorrow? Right on the border between south Yorkshire, all seems very down hearted in the regional forum there and very optimistic in here! Im split right between the 2!

Should just about be OK - .provided that the system does not shift any further south. 

If the wind does pickup (from the east) then you could do very well, as I know the area well having been there in the 50's and 60's.

I guess we will  all have to wait and see..

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms

Yh it does fragment a bit but with strong winds and the fact it pivots over the Midlands everywhere will get at least 10cm I predict 20 cms plus for West Mids, Telford and Shropshire upwards of 25cm. But we really wont know until it makes landfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

The melt-rate here today is quite significant really considering how cold it feels. I thought it would stick around but roads are virtually clear of snow now.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes depending on where the front pivots (which is currently the Midlands) could see snow throughout the day. Snow showers continue here with the hills around me white out. Temp -0.2c

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, RobR said:

The melt-rate here today is quite significant really considering how cold it feels. I thought it would stick around but roads are virtually clear of snow now.

thaw here too,