Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

I saw that forecast, said 10-15cms generally, locally 20cms, more on highest ground I’d guess. Based on timing, expected intensity and temperature, I’m expecting about 15cms (I live 8 miles due south of Brum). Not expecting any rain but think it may get a bit sleety lunchtime.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
6 minutes ago, snow freak said:

I really hope Northampton gets a good dumping of snow tonight and tomorrow.  we havent even had so much as one flake so far and the past few years have been awful.  I really need to see one decent snowfall or i will go insane.  At least the Met forecast has upgraded for our region since yesterday when it was mainly sleet but now heavy snow, so fingers crossed it doesnt downgrade between now and tomorrow morning.

Yeah I hope so too! I live in Rushden now so i'm in the same boat as you. I'm a bit pessimistic about tomorrow as I think Northampton/Rushden will be right on the line between rain and snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Best spots tomorrow for me would be the Lickey Hills, up through the Black Country (incl. Wolves/Cannock) and into Shropshire hills.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
3 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Yeah I hope so too! I live in Rushden now so i'm in the same boat as you. I'm a bit pessimistic about tomorrow as I think Northampton/Rushden will be right on the line between rain and snow.

we tend to get quite a few marginal events which i hate.  lets hope tomorrows snow comes through for us and the whole event is one of snow.  we can do it i know we can.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

I saw that forecast, said 10-15cms generally, locally 20cms, more on highest ground I’d guess. Based on timing, expected intensity and temperature, I’m expecting about 15cms (I live 8 miles due south of Brum). Not expecting any rain but think it may get a bit sleety lunchtime.

I agree , I think BBC/ Mets spot on with this.  From experience generally any locations south of Bromsgrove (I.E , Worcester, Gloucester)  unless over higher ground don't do well from these setups.  Also remember the cold air hasn't been here all that long.     

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

The latest NNM'S forecast :cold:

nmm_uk1-1-27-1_mbw9.pngnmm_uk1-42-27-1_noc2.pngnmm_uk1-1-33-1_ugq7.pngnmm_uk1-42-33-1_ksj0.pngnmm_uk1-26-33-1_iwk8.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold
31 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Perhaps, but I wouldn't be quite so pessimistic Andy. Some of the senior and more respected forecasters in the model threads are saying the general trend is indicating Snow north of M4 and Greater london. They all seem in agreement, as do the MetO, that the snowline will be 30 miles or so south of where the models are showing. I am not surprised, the temperature predictions for Northampton are a max of 1c, most of the day it is freezing or below. I know there is a lot more too it with 850hpa temps and dew points, but ground temps close to freezing do help. I'd say this is certainly less marginal than I am used to, the past few times it's snowed it's been 2 or 3c with -5 or -6 850 temps instead of the preferable -8. Ultra marginal wet affairs :( so this is actually nicely not too marginal for once. 

I wonder if one day midlanders will get a nice event where the 2 meter temps are -5c at 0m ASL, the 850 temps are -12c, and there is a bucket load of precipitation. Lots of snow, and zero marginality. :D:D One day I hope.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

tempresult_jci5.gifgif.png:bomb::wink:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold
4 minutes ago, shaky said:

Widespread 10-15cms and close to 20 in the west of the region!!

Yes looks great shaky, I think Leicester are in a really great position for once. Can't believe I am saying that... seems so rare.

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, shaky said:

Widespread 10-15cms and close to 20 in the west of the region!!

A good 12hrs for the Greater Birmingham Area and I suppose to be working Monday up the Lickeys :blink2:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Thick snow coming down. Big flakes.

Yes, snowier day than yesterday for us, streamer set up further East

• Like 1