Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, mother nature rocks said:

As long as all us midlanders are involved I will be a happy happy man. As you all will. 

West of our region done better than east

Posted

unfortunately, Stafford was just a little too far east for today's snow showers but we did manage a covering thanks to a heavy snow shower around 5 pm. just hope Sunday delivers the goods. the met office currently places us in the sweet spot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

62C8FEF2-9BFF-4F71-917B-9DD5F24F7FF8.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
24 minutes ago, mother nature rocks said:

So looking forward to get up at 4am and building a ⛄️⛄️⛄️. Slight nudge south would be fandabby!!!!!

Yeah we were going to get up at 6 and take the dog for a walk. He is 3 and not seen snow yet. Here's hoping.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
Just now, markw2680 said:

Could be a serious couple of days coming up if that’s anywhere near right

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, cj1 said:

unfortunately, Stafford was just a little too far east for today's snow showers but we did manage a covering thanks to a heavy snow shower around 5 pm. just hope Sunday delivers the goods. the met office currently places us in the sweet spot.

U in Stafford? had a covering around 8am, never thawed out of sun, heavy at 5pm though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
21 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

West of our region done better than east

you're telliing me. we havent had even a flake in the east midlands.  absolute rubbish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I've had a good day today, so I would genuinely be okay with missing out on Sunday if those who got nothing today were able to join in the fun. :) The BBC forecast at 6:30pm seemed to point to my area getting dawn snow that then turned to mush by lunchtime in any case, and I'm not sure I'm that interested in that. Either proper snow that stays snow through daylight hours, or clearing and dry. Not cold sleety rain, please!

Of course, 20cm over the entire region would be best of all! :D

Posted
1 hour ago, fizz511 said:

I often wonder what the models looked like for that night - it was truly amazing! 9-10/12/1990 I think?

This was my backgarden in Coventry; the path is about a foot below the dog!

112C98C1-AAC5-4F5E-A069-A3BBC476557F.jpeg

What a coincidence exactly 27 years to the day.

Blizzards with a NW gale wind 10 inches max during that here then.

Rrea00119901208.gifRrea00119901209.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

I've had a good day today, so I would genuinely be okay with missing out on Sunday if those who got nothing today were able to join in the fun. :) The BBC forecast at 6:30pm seemed to point to my area getting dawn snow that then turned to mush by lunchtime in any case, and I'm not sure I'm that interested in that. Either proper snow that stays snow through daylight hours, or clearing and dry. Not cold sleety rain, please!

Of course, 20cm over the entire region would be best of all! :D

seen around 3cms ish, so not too bad, not in the west of the region though, dunno what to make of Sunday, seems a bit fragmented to me, light snow during the day just tends to wet the ground

Posted

3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

U in Stafford? had a covering around 8am, never thawed out of sun, heavy at 5pm though

ahh yes forgot all about this mornings snow shower it soon melted in the sun but there was a thin covering first thing. my expectations may have been a little high as was expecting frequent showers all day. everything white over now though even untreated roads thanks to this evenings shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms
16 minutes ago, cj1 said:

I work in Penkridge and i was really surprised at how little snow there was compared to the amount we had here in Dudley this morning. Longest part of my journey to work this morning was Dudley to Wolverhampton. On way home it was vice versa. Very heavy snow during the rush hour journey home in Wolverhampton and lasted all the way till i skidded onto my estate. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
19 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Wait, what, we have 15+cm and are expecting Sunday's 20cms, but now you're saying we get ANOTHER 20cms on Monday????

EDIT TO ADD: I'd be quite happy to share some of this round a bit more... it's getting a bit embarrassing really, in amongst all the Midlanders who got no snow, like wearing a diamond tiara in an Oxfam shop... 

Edited by BleakMidwinter
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, BleakMidwinter said:

Wait, what, we have 15+cm and are expecting Sunday's 20cms, but now you're saying we get ANOTHER 20cms on Monday????

hopefully us further East's turn this time, watching Monday's low, potential snowfest

ECM1-72.GIF?08-0

Posted

Sorry to always mr doom monger in here,  but hiw quickly is any snow gonna clear after Monday ?  Im pleased for  you  guys  as you obviously love it. I wouldnt be so bothered if i didnt have to travel thursday night. Long time Anxiety sufferer and i was actually  looking forward to our xmas party near Coventry thursday nite  . And then goin to west bromwich on the Sunday

Posted
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

seen around 3cms ish, so not too bad, not in the west of the region though, dunno what to make of Sunday, seems a bit fragmented to me, light snow during the day just tends to wet the ground

must have had more in the south of the town using the tried and tested the top of the wheelie bin lid method of measuring snow depth we had just over 1cm in the north. still, everything looks very festive so could be worse

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Pretty sure that's fake. For numerous reasons.

Looks to be an "alternative" scenario ie. if the trough heads SE, rather than the current predicted track.

Radar looking dead now for us, was quite promising earlier, but the showers died very quickly & the winds are now too much in the North. Only small shifts needed of course.

Posted

unfortunately for tonight, I think your right. possibly the risk of 1 or 2 shows tomorrow though so fingers crossed 

Posted
1 minute ago, cj1 said:

unfortunately for tonight, I think your right. possibly the risk of 1 or 2 shows tomorrow though so fingers crossed 

Still west, but yes turns more westerly tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

still time for change but seen down grades for sout east Midlands today gone from about snow from 6am Sunday to Monday 9am. To snow 4am Sunday to 12 then sleet then light snow till 4pm. :wallbash:

Posted
1 minute ago, pegg24 said:

still time for change but seen down grades for sout east Midlands today gone from about snow from 6am Sunday to Monday 9am. To snow 4am Sunday to 12 then sleet then light snow till 4pm. :wallbash:

I know the beeb and meto seem to have the majority of the snow north of Birmingham but we are still in the amber warning might change on tommorows update

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
58 minutes ago, mr benn said:

Sorry to always mr doom monger in here,  but hiw quickly is any snow gonna clear after Monday ?  Im pleased for  you  guys  as you obviously love it. I wouldnt be so bothered if i didnt have to travel thursday night. Long time Anxiety sufferer and i was actually  looking forward to our xmas party near Coventry thursday nite  . And then goin to west bromwich on the Sunday

On the plus side, there isn't much forecast at present to fall on Tues/ Wed/ thurs and that means the councils can get on with clearing and gritting asap , so I would think you'd be fine for Thursday night, as the forecasts are now. If you were wanting to travel in the Midlands on Monday morning, it might be a different thing!!! :)

I hope you are able to go and that you have a brilliant time - and (as someone who has had some anxiety, like most of us) hey, haven't you got a lovely neutral, 'safe' topic to talk about with people you don't know what to say to! :)