Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
6 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

17cm of level snow. That's more than Dec 2010 or Dec 1995 managed. It's certainly the most round here since Feb 1991, possibly 1987.

4 years without any significant snow ends like this.!

And possibly alot more to come 

• Like 1

Posted

Ecm dollops all of the midlands with 15-20cms of snow!!!euro4 somewhere in the middle with 10 cms!!need to see a budge south i think on the 18z gfs to be comfortable!!also is the ecm run at a higher resolution than gfs??

Posted
16 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

17cm of level snow. That's more than Dec 2010 or Dec 1995 managed. It's certainly the most round here since Feb 1991, possibly 1987.

Cricky, that's some statistic. One for Weather History (or Fred I think his name is) that one.

Posted

In 2010 we got a dusting of snow comparable to the 0.5cms of snow we have today. but in 2013 we got over a foot.   you win some , you lose some. 

Oh I forgot! In 1990 the Nuneaton area had 2 feet of snow and no electric, and water for 4 days! and that was unforecast!

I swore for yerars afterwards that we had a snow 'debt' to pay off from 1990, but I think now that has all been paid back now :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

No more models please il take the status quo it can only get worse. Just pause them and no more changes.

That will do nicely :yahoo:

Just nothing change until middle of next week please.

:D

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

I can`t understand why the midlands news havn`t covered it.

Glad for you though.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
10 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

In 2010 we got a dusting of snow comparable to the 0.5cms of snow we have today. but in 2013 we got over a foot.   you win some , you lose some. 

Oh I forgot! In 1990 the Nuneaton area had 2 feet of snow and no electric, and water for 4 days! and that was unforecast!

I swore for yerars afterwards that we had a snow 'debt' to pay off from 1990, but I think now that has all been paid back now :-)

I often wonder what the models looked like for that night - it was truly amazing! 9-10/12/1990 I think?

This was my backgarden in Coventry; the path is about a foot below the dog!

112C98C1-AAC5-4F5E-A069-A3BBC476557F.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
16 minutes ago, WinterWilf said:

No more models please il take the status quo

Singing "Down Down Deeper and Down" I rather think! :D

Posted
14 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

I often wonder what the models looked like for that night - it was truly amazing! 9-10/12/1990 I think?

It's amazing that even now, with all the online photos, folk don't bleiev that you can get almost 3 feet of snow (like up near Arley and Baddesley endsor) this was the worst affected region in the UK, and 30 miles south they had nothing

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
25 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

Fizz..

In Solihull, I recorded 17inches in that event. (40cms)

It was undetected until the Friday pm. It was associated with a small low in the North Sea which suddenly 'found' a pool of cold air in the circulation coming out of the low country/ Scandy.

Emergency messages were issued in the 6 o clock news and weather for the regions affected (East of the Pennines and the Midlands)..  They even interrupted the BBC tele programmes with emergency news flashes during the evening..

About 220:00 on my dog walk I saw blue flashes in the sky. I thought it to be lightening.

Came back in just as the first flakes began to fall. The temp was still 5C.

The flakes were huge..... Snow began to settle immediately. All night it just hammered it down. Next morning we had about  12inches of level snow, but we could not see any due to drifting. The M6 was totally closed for 36 hrs. It snowed until about 13:00 here and I measured 17 inches. The highest totals in the country were recorded between Solihull and Coventry, shared with somewhere near Nuneaton..

Quite an event and not forecast by anyone until 6hours before the start of it..

Incredible stuff!

Oh yes and the flashes? -  that was the power lines and trees being taken out by the incredibly wet and heavy snow.

The good news - it was a Saturday morning so we had the weekend to dig out. 

People were freed  from the M6 after 36 hours, just by the Coventry services .

MIA 

PS One of the forecasters of the time  wrote up a report on the incident. with all the snow depths. It must be on the webb somewhere by now,

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

I was at my auntie's house in Stockingford. i remember her bursting into the bedroom and shouting "kids! kids! look out of the window!!" , we stood up, me and my sister and tried to look out the window, but the snow was so hight we couldn't see.

We rushed down stairs and opened the back door, a huge pile of snow fell in, and we couldn't shut the back door, we hadf to shovel it all out.

The most magical thing of my entire childhood (even though I was 13)

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Fizz..

In Solihull, I recorded 17inches in that event.

It was undetected until the Friday pm. It was associated with a small low in the North Sea which suddenly 'found' a pool of cold air in the circulation coming out of the low country/ Scandy.

Emergency messages were issued in the 6 o clock news and weather for the regions affected (East of the Pennines and the Midlands)..  They even interrupted the BBC tele programmes with emergency news flashes during the evening..

About 220:00 on my dog walk I saw blue flashes in the sky. I thought it to be lightening.

The flakes were huge..... Snow began to settle immediately. All night it just hammered it down. Next morning we had about  12inches of level snow, but we could not see any due to drifting. The M6 was totally closed for 36 hrs. It snowed until about 13:00 here and I measured 17 inches. The highest totals in the country were recorded between Solihull and Coventry, shared with somewhere near Nuneaton..

Incredible stuff!

Oh yes and the flashes? -  that was the power lines and trees being taken out by the incredibly wet and heavy snow.

People were freed  from the M6 after 36 hours.

MIA 

i remember looking over the fields near Attleborough, and there were flashes from the powerlines for days afterwards

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold cold cold!!
1 hour ago, Cov87 said:

Looks like a birmingham.north event for sunday so.once again my area (coventry) missing out again great ?

Check out Arpege 12z you might be pleasantly surprised ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Is the streamer going to stay mostly in the far west and Wales now or is it forecast to move back east a little?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)
35 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

I was a Saturday girl at Woolworths and remember the tills going down as the power went off. All the buses stopped running and I had a long walk home in a polyester pinafore dress, American tan tights and non snow friendly sensible shoes ?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, mother nature rocks said:

Check out Arpege 12z you might be pleasantly surprised ? 

Yep even at this short range every model has the low slightly further North or South. But the snowline seems to be between Worcester up to the wash depending on the model so the exact track is still unknown. We want it slightly further south so all the Midlands get some and in here will be buzzing.

Posted
8 minutes ago, snowstorm27x said:

Yep even at this short range every model has the low slightly further North or South. But the snowline seems to be between Worcester up to the wash depending on the model so the exact track is still unknown. We want it slightly further south so all the Midlands get some and in here will be buzzing.

Roughly 50 miles south would be just about perfick!!! 

28 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Fizz..

In Solihull, I recorded 17inches in that event. (40cms)

Incredible stuff!

People were freed  from the M6 after 36 hours, just by the Coventry services .

MIA 

PS One of the forecasters of the time  wrote up a report on the incident. with all the snow depths. It must be on the webb somewhere by now,

Thanks for this. I was six years old yet I remember it vividly. 

Bearing in mind that was my first memorable snowfall I spent the rest of my childhood thinking that was standard snow depths! We lived in a cul-de-sac and all the kids in the street built igloos and snow forts in the open end of the road. It was probably the happiest moment of my childhood - absolutely brilliant fun which lasted for days. At age six with snow at your waist you can't really ask for much more!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
1 minute ago, mother nature rocks said:

Come on it’s the 18z it always does ??

Fingers crossed just a few more runs to go just have the low not move please. Then its :yahoo:time.

Posted
3 minutes ago, WinterWilf said:

Fingers crossed just a few more runs to go just have the low not move please. Then its :yahoo:time.

So looking forward to get up at 4am and building a ⛄️⛄️⛄️. Slight nudge south would be fandabby!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, mother nature rocks said:

So looking forward to get up at 4am and building a ⛄️⛄️⛄️. Slight nudge south would be fandabby!!!!!

and east for the streamer tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Well i managed to get home from Penkridge despite the heavy snow coming through Wolverhampton earlier. I was fine until i got to Russells Hall, took me ages to crawl down the hill onto the Estate from Himley Road. I skidded into the kerb three times. Supposed to have been going to a party in Pelsall tonight, buses are few and far between and there are no taxis available at 3 companies i tried. Attempted to get off the Estate, managed it rather well but then got stuck in what i can only describe as slippery gridlock. Took me 30 minutes to get to Priory Road so i've had to give up and slide back home! Just not worth it!