Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Yes my bbc forecast has changed for sunday a little a few sleet showers mixed in with the snow now. This is how it started yesterday forecast snow only for it to change to sleet as it was happening then nothing at all. Slightly worried now about the low pushing futher north. Any more corrections north and it will miss me.

Posted

I left Shrewsbury two hours ago. My lift was stuck in non moving traffic for 45 minutes so I walked over to him and in that half hour I did not see any town bound traffic moving at all. On the way through Wellington the snow was coming down so hard that the M54 was noticeably getting whiter by the minute. Finally I'm back in Telford and it's stopped snowing and the sun is coming out. Looks like around 6 inches of lying snow, more than I've seen in 14 years of living here.

• Like 1

Posted

Maybe I'm being a bit too picky, but I'm a little disappointed with today. It was looking very good on my way to work before 8 this morning, and was getting towards whiteout conditions. But it calmed down and eventually fizzled out and there's been sunny spells throughout the day apart from one brief shower about 12:45ish. Now there's nothing more than a modest cover of probably less than a cm on grass and north facing rooftops etc.

At least I suppose there's something of a cover, which admittedly is better than nothing and at least makes things look a little more festive and seasonal. I'm just a greedy snow addict though I suppose :D. I suppose there's still hope for better things over the next 48 hours or so, so maybe my disappointment is slightly premature. Guess I was half expecting Dec 10 or Mar 13 snow totals, which was perhaps a tad ambitious anyway. I've just got to also remember we're only one week into Winter and it's a rare thing for a Winter to be seasonal this early on, so hopefully this is just the beginning of a great Winter :santa-emoji:.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted

First time i can remember such heavy showers from Cheshire gap hitting me in Bridgnorth. Absolutely chucking down again

Normally we miss out and it goes north to Stafford / Stoke.

so unexpected. Sunday could be fun on top of what we already have.

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, neil_b said:

Some pics of my home in Shropshire - it's throwing it down again now.  I'd say we have has about 8 inches but its at least a foot deep on my lawn ans surrounding fields.

CB077DC8-5FB2-484A-B616-545DA12AABAC.jpeg

3363755F-CAC5-45D2-8866-0A337B9F09CB.jpeg

FCD58B75-E398-46C4-A7B5-AF53E707646D.jpeg

513D601B-3098-4767-91D3-8AE552CFBDD4.jpeg

Great pics, Can i share these?

• Like 2

Posted

By the way I'm very pleased for the Shropshire members. If anybody's patience deserved paying off it was theirs.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Fairly decent snow shower over Belper, given a dusting over all surfaces in 10 minutes.

Posted

Stray shower has hit here, nice surprise. Only light though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Chucking it down again

Posted
2 minutes ago, MKN said:

Sundays snow threat further north going by the gfs 12z

Is that compared to the 6z? That's good if that is the case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms

Moderate snow here filling in the earlier snow melt. Pretty good day overall best since 2010 as 2013 wasn't that good for this area. Sunday and Monday is looking very interesting now.

Posted
Just now, Snowy L said:

yes compared to the 06z, between 30-50miles further north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms
Just now, Snowy L said:

Yh it's good as we were close to missing it if it went South again. Hope any areas who missed out today get some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
34 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

By the way I'm very pleased for the Shropshire members. If anybody's patience deserved paying off it was theirs.

Agreed! The amount of times over the years that Shropshire has missed out on snow while other areas of the Midlands have had it has been ridiculous.

Sunday is looking very interesting now IMO. I reckon pretty much anywhere in the Midlands could be in the firing line. The PPN is there without a doubt. The only thing that remains to be seen is how far north that milder sector goes. At the moment it looks like it'll go no further north than say Berkshire/Oxford but we shall see.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, andy_leics22 said:

Agreed! The amount of times over the years that Shropshire has missed out on snow while other areas of the Midlands have had it has been ridiculous.

Sunday is looking very interesting now IMO. I reckon pretty much anywhere in the Midlands could be in the firing line. The PPN is there without a doubt. The only thing that remains to be seen is how far north that milder sector goes. At the moment it looks like it'll go no further north than say Berkshire/Oxford but we shall see.

Here's hoping. Could maybe do with it going just a smidgen further south, for the sake of comfort though. Keeping my feet firmly on the ground though after half expecting today to be much better than it has been.

Posted

Down in Ashbourne now...feeling very seasonal for Christmas parade which a friend is involved with and markets...cold and caught a few flurries... probably 3-4 inches snow in higher parts of Buxton... gorgeous snowy landscape... lookslike some more flurries heading this way on radar.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
1 hour ago, Staffordshire said:

Yep, nice to see those weather starved in Shropshire getting some though (pics please everyone)

image.thumb.png.4bea86b945f51a6c1fe1bb3218294991.pngA clear six inches here, deeper where drifted. We hiked up over the hill-path to collect some ordered stuff, a mil each way, took us a bit more than the usual 20 minutes each way! 

That's the Wrekin in the background behind the trees 
image.thumb.png.9407d6c8cf3b1bd031225a78af96cba9.png

And this is the first time I've seen this! That's the fully-exposed side of a square-section two-inch post, but the snow has clung to the near-vertical side and built up to almost its full thickness... 

image.thumb.png.800fa71a9fd7f722b6aa78e8e1c498f0.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Slightly frustrating day for me as well, started well with decent almost constant snow between 7 and 10, but fairly clear since then, just a couple of short showers. Patchy covering left, everything has gone about 20 miles west of my locale. My sister in Shrewsbury though has done amazing, 10-15cms in her back garden I reckon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
4 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Hope So Andy. See you living in Northamptonshire now hopefully we do well this time sometimes we get a dumping sometimes we miss out can be frustrating Living here lets say.

Posted
7 minutes ago, BleakMidwinter said:

image.thumb.png.4bea86b945f51a6c1fe1bb3218294991.pngA clear six inches here, deeper where drifted. We hiked up over the hill-path to collect some ordered stuff, a mil each way, took us a bit more than the usual 20 minutes each way! 

That's the Wrekin in the background behind the trees 
image.thumb.png.9407d6c8cf3b1bd031225a78af96cba9.png

And this is the first time I've seen this! That's the fully-exposed side of a square-section two-inch post, but the snow has clung to the near-vertical side and built up to almost its full thickness... 

image.thumb.png.800fa71a9fd7f722b6aa78e8e1c498f0.png

Those pictures are epic. This is starting to look like turning into a Winter to remember in your location alone. Let's hope the rest of us can join you soon :santa-emoji:.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Showers seem to have slightly shifted east, traveling down the m6 bringing more on the central Midlands in to play in next couple of hours ?

• Like 2