Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I am being really positive for Sunday I am visioning waking up on Sunday with heavy snow falling, then me and the lad off sledging :) by 3pm the village will be cut off (like it was in the 80’s) then a session of thawing out by a rawing fire, back out for a night time walk in the snow, then doing it all again Monday as the schools will be shut!!! #believebelievebelieve :) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
2 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Still snowing here, albeit the flakes are small. 6cm on cars and about 4cm on pavements. Much less on the road where it's wetter.

Pretty pleased, really! Reaching 5cm in Bewdley is not a common occurrence -- this is the first time since March 2013.

Really hoping those of you who missed out today will join the fun on Sunday!

Me to, but my work depends on the weather im a window cleaner and use a water system so if it gets too cold all my pipes freeze no money for me. Snow is not too bad just if temp stays below freezing... 1 or 2 degrees its fine.

So a poison chalice!

Love snow and cold winters and we never get them but also is bad for work. 

Still hoping for snow can catch up on work it hardly ever snows here.

2010 last decent winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
6 minutes ago, #windysnow# said:

I am being really positive for Sunday I am visioning waking up on Sunday with heavy snow falling, then me and the lad off sledging :) by 3pm the village will be cut off (like it was in the 80’s) then a session of thawing out by a rawing fire, back out for a night time walk in the snow, then doing it all again Monday as the schools will be shut!!! #believebelievebelieve :) 

Sounds amazing!

I moved house and new place they took the fireplace out fools..

Brought the log burner with me sat in the garage. Hoping to remodel eventually and put it back in.

Can't beat a roaring fire after a snow day.

Brilliant.:D

Edited by WinterWilf

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Very little snow melt today with temps hovering around 0c. Temps starting to drop further now, Lovely Jubly.

20171208_143156.thumb.jpg.d59ad1d5c595bc44dc95319affc7146c.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Keep playing back and forth the last few frames of the radar hoping to detect any possible more Easterly shift to the snow showers! ?

• Like 1

Posted

just noticed the temprature has gone from 0.9 to 0.1 in the last hour (9 miles north worcester)

strange day, fine to drive one minute then whiteout, then thaw again.

thinking the rush hour may be fun.

Posted
32 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

all going west, knew it last night really though, Staffordshire from Gentleshaw did too

Yep, nice to see those weather starved in Shropshire getting some though (pics please everyone)

Wouldn't mind a shower or 2 overnight.

• Like 2

Posted

Moderate snow now here.

Posted
31 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Very little snow melt today with temps hovering around 0c. Temps starting to drop further now, Lovely Jubly.

20171208_143156.thumb.jpg.d59ad1d5c595bc44dc95319affc7146c.jpg

Hi, I think you did preety well last year for snowfall, one of the rare few, Indeed you've been in the best spot in recent winters for snowfall, and your luck looks like being in again this time around. Expecting the Peak District to see the heaviest and longest lasting snowfall of anywhere on Sunday.

Being central where you are, you are exposed to weather from all directions, best direction to be - you are exposed to easterly and northeasterly airstreams, and often do well from low pressure moving in from the west bumping into cold air and also southerly tracking lows etc..

Here in the Lake District - we are less well located, and tend to do well from snowfall only in battleground scenarios, or when there is a westerly feed to the polar airstreams - we can though see trifle amounts.. 

Posted

Well this is an epic day for Shrewsbury! Had to go and get wife's son from school as they closed, it's about 10 miles west of here, the round trip took 2 hours. And I was lucky because I can avoid the town centre which is apparently well gridlocked. I honestly can't remember seeing the roads round Shrewsbury like this before; even the A5 is treacherous.

Then got home, having driven through multiple snow showers. Time to measure the depth. On the front lawn, an awesome 12cm level snow. And just helped build a snowman, it's a long time since this was possible here. And it's already been snowing again and covering the bare bits where we scraped the snow to build it. 

8/12/17 is a date to remember here!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

although we are in an amber warning for Sunday I don’t hope I don’t hold much hope I meant for any know the BBC weather app is absolute hopeless because every hour today he’s had me location down for heavy snow or light snow showers we only had about 1015 minutes of heavy snow in the morning and a few light snow showers nothing since then all day not even a flake 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Thought I’d add a few pics from round here today

9701E9F6-9E8C-4821-A46F-C74CC37132BC.jpeg

C7B4B6FD-2528-4ADB-9C57-3C3253D005D3.jpeg

1C26C84A-E6BC-4B9A-BDD1-CEAA89574C0E.jpeg

03573298-C9B9-4AE7-B957-17BFEA05F385.jpeg

91A7A2B0-3931-4A39-8D22-C307B6851EC4.jpeg

CB9FB27E-697F-4426-B52D-1F4F4C298E7D.jpeg

CE6F6FE4-59DE-4A27-993B-8740CAB9A313.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Quite a bit across Dudley in comparison with previous years.  In Halesowen reckon we've had a good 5cm/6cm, which has slightly thawed during the day but down to -0.4C now.  In Coseley and Dudley the figure is similar, with around 4-5cms depending on where you look.  Again some melt across the day, but now down to -0.6C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Linking to areas covered by Met Office Amber warning. Netweather forecast snow accumulation charts for 24 hours each

0812snoaccc.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

An idea of the chaos in Shrewsbury. Pretty much every road closed or gridlocked. School rush commencing. Still belting it down. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting day working on the trams. Drove through some pretty intense showers, challenging to see ahead but that's why we have so much route knowledge training!

From hardly any cover in Birmingham City Centre to a cm or two in West Brom and Wolves. However, it's back home here in Gornal that's the most impressive. I estimate around 5-6 centimetres and coming down again now. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Local forecast for Wolves is now showing/saying just light snow on Sunday now so at this rate of retraction (today included), i can suspect those warnings could well be in the bin come Sat. afternoon.

Posted

Shrewsbury has more snow than here,WOW I`m impressed.:clap:

4 inches overall could do with more wind only picks up in the showers no drifting currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
46 minutes ago, shaky said:

Looks like the showers are going slightly further east now!!

needs to go way east to catch here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

The local nature of the snow cover is quite something really. In Quinton we had a few inches but literally a mile up the road the grass is green. That band of showers has been very narrow in nature but persisant and Shrewsbury has been lucky to be under it all.

That said for all the super duper weather they have had over the years, they deserve this dump. I've seen snow every year in 10 here in Stoke so I won't begrudge the lack of activity here today (well a little).