Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Umm.... we already have close to 10cm and still falling, forecast to fall all day...

And then another THIRTY FIVE CM on sun/mon??????

image.thumb.png.3797f42240032c9ea536da7cddf46145.png

• Like 1

Posted

Sunday has the potential to be very special for the most of the Midlands including us in the East if it comes off, one of those events you remember for years so fingers crossed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Nothing falling here in Wolverhampton at the moment, and by the look of that radar, i can't see it hitting me this afternoon either, by the of it there could well be another pulse that will edge slightly further east of Wolves. Just had a call from my wife in Telford, and she has been told she has to leave work by 12.30, so it is falling very heavily but also very isolated in terms of intensity, because as i'm typing this there is bright sunshine and not a flake in sight, but just a slushy mess n the ground from an earlier shower. Temp still only at 0.4C.

Edited by DIS1970
spelling!

Posted
Just now, skyblusam said:

To early to be getting our hopes up yet. As I've seen many times before snow forecast only to be left with a damp squid. Sorry to sound so negative but seen it many times before. However i hope I'm very very wrong 

I know the history you speak of. It's not negative, its realistic. I'm still hopefull of a snowfest on Sunday AM but like you I don't want to get too giddy yet ;)

Posted
21 minutes ago, SalopWatcher said:

To be honest its reached the point where i'm concerned i cant get my car out of the carpark at work. Starting to get reports that some roads in Shrewsbury are being closed (debate as to weather gritting was done) and some town schools closing.  Could be a very interesting day here, 

About time shewsbury had a pasting.

Just on the edge of the chesshire gap line here,showery intermitent snow but not amounting too much temp currently 0.0c wind turned more north and light with fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Well we got nothing here in burton afterall last night. Even though forecast.

Although being in the warning for snow on sunday. I can see us being on the fringe and getting nothing again.

As usual no hopes raised here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Coming down steadily here. Not blizzard-like or anything and visibility is okay, but it's unusual to get anything much at all from a Cheshire Gap streamer (we're usually just too far SW) so I'm quite impressed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

This could still go t**s up, so we need to calm down and wait for the actual event to begin.

Posted
2 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

This could still go t**s up, so we need to calm down and wait for the actual event to begin.

Exactly my mindset. I shall get excited if it is showing the same after the 12z's tomorrow. Until then, i shall keep my eye on the radar and hope for something later today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
22 minutes ago, RobR said:

Any chance of the winds shifting to include Stoke in the showers?

Thats what I'm hoping for too! We're just on the edge of it all. But there is a chance overnight into tomorrow the winds will shift ever to slightly to the North West, so that might encourage the streamer to move more South Easterly. Here's hoping!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Exactly my mindset. I shall get excited if it is showing the same after the 12z's tomorrow. Until then, i shall keep my eye on the radar and hope for something later today.

we are too far east

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
1 hour ago, MKN said:

Could i post these on www.facebook.com/extremeweather.co ? :)

Looks like you already have..

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Looks like you already have..

was waiting for you to reply if you want i can remove them?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Cold and sunny here with the icing sugar dusting from last night still on the ground away from roads and pavements. Amber warning for Sunday now, please don't let this go wrong.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Ryan05 said:

Sunday has the potential to be very special for the most of the Midlands including us in the East if it comes off, one of those events you remember for years so fingers crossed

Unless, like me, you live 3 miles south of the amber warning area at a height of just 35m asl and you just know that you're in a for a repeat of the awful slushfest spectacular of March 2013 ..... (when it snowed and snowed and snowed and snowed, from dawn to dusk without a break.  And when it finally stopped, there was 1cm of slush in my garden (and a lot of wet mud) .... )

Posted
20 minutes ago, MKN said:

was waiting for you to reply if you want i can remove them?

Umm... possibly more usual to do things the other way round, wait for permission before publishing someone's photos...?

You haven't used mine, but if you want to, just ask and I'm sure I'll be happy. I'd just rather it was that way round, really... :)

Posted

Nearly six inches here now - just watched a burly neighbour struggling to open a wheelie bin til he'd got the snow off the top - the lid plus snow too heavy to lift one-handed!

Posted

Pleased for you  guys but all im bothered about is that i have to travel around next Thursday to  Sunday. So hoping  its all  gone by then ?   Typical when our xmas party is on. Wish we had Summer fir xmas like Australia 

Posted
20 minutes ago, Essan said:

Unless, like me, you live 3 miles south of the amber warning area at a height of just 35m asl and you just know that you're in a for a repeat of the awful slushfest spectacular of March 2013 ..... (when it snowed and snowed and snowed and snowed, from dawn to dusk without a break.  And when it finally stopped, there was 1cm of slush in my garden (and a lot of wet mud) .... )

My fear is that Sunday ends up too the south of Nottingham & we are still very cold but nothing, a horrible near miss. Sadly the showers the West Midlands are currently having show little chance of giving us in the East Midlands anything, bright sunshine here although cold. All our eggs are in this Sundays basket although past experience has taught me is expect the worst re snow chances so as too not be disappointed when inevitable disappointment pans out LOL

Edited by Ryan05

Posted

Ooh! Met Office upgraded Sunday’s warning to Amber. I’m trying to not get too excited but Sunday could be a corker! We’ve had a few flurries here in Warwick but nothings settled.

Posted

Oooh, there's someone outside trying to get his car out of the big shared car-parking area which is on quite a steep slope itself and then there's another steep slope to get out of it...

He's just flooring it, repeatedly. He's shovelled about a ton of snow, now, in multiple efforts, in between which he gets back in and floors it on a steeply-sloping iced car-park... I'm not sure what will happen first, his tyres catching fire or his clutch bursting into flame...