Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

F32F8EDB-DD99-40E6-A7E1-ACDE8996A906.thumb.png.ce86ddb4dea96730013b386ddceb26b7.png

Hello :) 

With Winter looking to shake hands with us in the Midlands in the next few days, thought it was worth opening up a new thread! :cold: 

Please continue your discussions of the upcoming snowy possibilities in here. Non-snowy weather chat is welcome too!

Certainly some exciting times for those who are craving the upcoming wintry surprises. An army of snow showers will strike the Midlands tonight and into tomorrow. Maybe with a few on Saturday, too! Could cause travel chaos for some, particularly the further North and West in the region you are!

There’s then a chance of a more general area of snow coming to join the Midlands weather party on Sunday. Nevertheless, questions surround the exact track the sliding Low Pressure system from the Atlantic could take, which will determine where the snow and rain line will be and how much of the precipitation stays as snow.

EC8DF059-E635-41FE-94AD-D9061F9196CE.png.557f514163818bf0c60a7d004782da17.png

D7B32753-9FDE-4B64-AB00-502D3A3992D7.png.3db3127a8c9d9e7b55671cc0f261512e.png

Ideally, would probably need the Low to track through the South of the region (such as on the above ECMWF charts for early to mid Sunday - credit to @bluearmy on Model thread) to avoid any of the milder sectors the Low could bring! But not too far South either, otherwise the snow could ignore Northern areas of the region!

It does at least look like snow will absorb some of the Midlands Snow Shield’s power in the next few days! Although, locally, their will be variation as to how much power each of our snow domes lose! It would be great if all of the Midlands cold weather fan’s snow shields were terminated by Sunday! ?❄️

Xtra info: Please keep this thread friendly, or some of you might have to be locked away in a room; a room of no windows! Hence, no way of seeing any snow :spiteful: 

(Link to previous thread below :) )

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Sleet here just now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I’ve gone from Snowmaggedon to erm, well, you might get a bit.

Not panicking. NOT panicking.... ?

8FDDBCE5-96C1-4B89-BF9D-B774A4C2229F.png

E4524353-79C1-43C2-A4F8-9D46C49E1EDC.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Same on the BBC site

https://m.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637546/tomorrow

Gone from Heavy Snow to light snow :closedeyes:

Posted
8 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

Ive seen that too, must remain calm........>>>>ARGH!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Sun heading towards setting in Telford after an unexpectedly sunny-intervals afternoon - the cloud-cover has hints of that coppery colour... I still can't quite believe it, not til I'm out in it dancing! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I am puzzled by the charts and forecasts. the Netweather forecast for Telford says only 0.16mm of snow on Friday between 3-6am and apart from that no precipitation. It's said that all day now. 

But the charts for Uk precip type have continued to show this kind of thing - this is 6am Friday - and all the other forecast sites say snow all day Friday for Telford... 

so why does the Netweather forecast continue to insist Friday will be nearly all dry apart from 0.16mm showers before dawn?

image.thumb.png.e36b731e877d3207c1df23cb28076010.png

Posted

Well, I’m going to work in a bit. It’s got 4 hours to sort itself out or there’ll be trouble! ?

Posted
14 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

If it all magically vanishes on next update, it might be time to panic (lol). Suspect it’ll be one of those window-watching moments! :cold: 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Typos

Posted
1 minute ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

If it all magically vanishes on next update, it might be time to panic (lol). Suspect it be one of those window-watching moments! :cold: 

Don’t even say that out aloud......!?

Edited by fizz511

Posted
Just now, fizz511 said:

Don’t even say that out aloud......!?

I’ll try to keep quiet. Don’t want to jeopardise anything ??

Posted

I shall be ignoring all forecasts after midnight tonight and focusing on the radar, as always with the set ups, now-casting will be key. I don't think there have been any downgrades for the Midlands as a whole, maybe just a slight N shift in wind direction, bringing areas more to the SW of the Midlands into play.

• Like 1

Posted

12z is an excellent run for North Wales & the North West of our region. Turning to rain for a time for places South of birmingham.

Posted

Gone from 6 hours of snow to 1 hour on the BBC web forecast. Current temp is colder than BBC predicted though so hopefully that's a good sign.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms

This is a lamppost night to say the least still looking good the weather app and BBC charts will chop and change it's showers so it's pot luck. But after the last few winters I will be happy if I see a flake and not the Chocolate variety. Good luck everyone.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Gone from 6 hours of snow to 1 hour on the BBC web forecast. Current temp is colder than BBC predicted though so hopefully that's a good sign.

It must tell you something when even the beeb and METO keep changing there forecast every hour or so...

Posted

met office showing heavy snow for 5hrs overnight then freezing cold day on Saturday with another bout of heavy snow Sunday:)

• Like 2

Posted

What's encouraged me today is not the fact that the temperatures are steadily coming down, it's that the dew points just fell of the cliff since the rain cleared this morning.

All we can do now is wait...or sleep in my case as I'm up at 3am for work...yuck!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Last night I did think that we had to be cautious about getting too carried away and that applies more than ever now.

From what i can see from the 12z run, sleet and snow showers will feed in through the Cheshire gap during tomorrow. West Midlands and Staffordshire should see a dusting at lower levels with a covering possible higher ground.

Now my main concern is this possible event for Saturday night into Sunday. I mentioned last night that I thought the 850's were too high for snow to lower levels and it looks even worse now than it did last night!

I don't want to be a killjoy but personally i'm not getting my hopes up for the possible Saturday night event. It may start as snow on the very leading edge but I can't see it staying as snow anywhere under 250m.

GFSOPEU12_69_2.png

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Nw snow forecast.... check

meto weather warning..... check

gritters and snow ploughs ready ... check

all we need now is the downgrade:wallbash:lololololol

Posted

The BBC app is a joke really. It's up and down like a yo yo. It started off as 15 hours heavy snow. Went down during the day to 3 hours  now back up to 12 hours heavy snow  don't take no notice of it. Look at radar and of course lampposts