Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2017/18 Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire & Norfolk

Lincs Observation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder & wind to create waves

In my part of Lincolnshire we have 850s of about -9, a north easterly and it is early Feb. Just been out with the dog and whilst cold in the wind there is not even a ground frost. Looks like we will have 850 of -11 early hours of Monday and again air temperatures above freezing. At the time of year when the sea should not be modifying the temps too much it is somewhat disappointing and worrying for winterery weather prospects that not freezing through the nights.  Whilst we might get some sleet/snow showers not hopeful of anything that will bring much of an accumulation or stick around for very long. My boy needs to sledge.

I always thought that -10 850 were where things are usually interesting. If not snow then usually get a hard frost. Is it the thicknesses that are the issue? Any ideas why it's not that bit colder with the set up and the time of year?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Just had a brief hail shower in Louth.  It’s very chilly with a brisk NE wind - be interesting to see how things go this afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted

Rain showers (a bit lumpy at times) so far at Manby (half way between Louth and the sea).  Maybe more chance of snow tonight 

Posted

A cpl of rain showers here so far today, temp currently 5.3 which is 2c higher than forecast so no sign of the cold air so far, a predominantly dry week forecast with the occasional rain showers so nothing overly cold and nothing to get excited about. 

Posted

this cold spell is certainly not going to be one to remember, its been chilly today, colder tomorrow and wednesday then temps recovering to 8/9c by the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow

Had a lovely dusting this morning in Ludford, and about 5 flakes in Louth this afternoon, I have my fingers crossed for tomorrow evening. I'd love to get snowed in but very unlikely.

Posted

LIght dusting in Billinghay overnight however 5 mins away in South kyme not a drop, i dont know what to make of todays event should it be one, the front we are waiting for is taking an age to get to us and i wonder as we move into mid afternoon and with the temp dropping away whether we wil see anything away from the wolds.

LO

Posted

Well i guess this is as good as it gets, nearing the end of day 1 of our 2 day prolonged cold spell, really cant wait for the atlantic to come in on thursday bringing higher temps and some rain, this winter really has been another one to forget from a imby perspective. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow
9 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

Well i guess this is as good as it gets, nearing the end of day 1 of our 2 day prolonged cold spell, really cant wait for the atlantic to come in on thursday bringing higher temps and some rain, this winter really has been another one to forget from a imby perspective. 

Edited by tornado tams
worked it out

Posted

Been snowing on and off for a good couple of hours. This is with a north westerly, polar maritime air, uppers cold at -7 or -8 but having passed over the north Atlantic. On Sunday to Monday we had a north easterly, uppers colder at -10 to -11 and air only having passed over the north sea from a cold Scandinavia but we only got rain and a bit of sleet/hail. I am really confused.

Posted
2 minutes ago, laddie said:

This is the total of my overnight snowfall in east Peterborough a few frozen flakes ?

IMG_20180207_081746548.jpg

I had to laugh at the tragedy of this image, and sympathise as i know how you feel. however i have started a spring watch 2018 thread now because im fed up now with the cold wet misery of this winter and with the daffs coming up I like them want some useable days in the garden, and to be able to clean up without wearing a coat or jumper.

LO

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Might well be, though Sunday into next week is probably more promising, which would be right as I’ll be driving to Wembley and back on Sunday...

Posted

Wow this thread is quiet given the Synoptics the models are throwing out at the moment.  Perhaps it fear of it all disappearing at the last minute.  I’ve done Lincolnshire winters since 78-79 and this up-coming spell, if it verifies, looks the most potentially disruptive since 1991 at least for our part of Lincs.  Norfolk might be even better placed.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Looking very good now I must say. We could be best placed for streamer set ups through the wash and possible unbroken lake effect style snow. Get the candles and shovels ready folks! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

Yeah, it looks like early next week will feel properly raw on the coast - pretty fresh easterly breeze If the models to date are accurate.  I work up the coast a bit and I’m expecting to be able to photo a snowy beach on Monday or Tuesday

Edited by Just Before Dawn
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Just Before Dawn said:

Yeah, it looks like early next week will feel properly raw on the coast - pretty fresh easterly breeze If the models to date are accurate.  I work up the coast a bit and I’m expecting to be able to photo a snowy beach on Monday or Tuesday

I live near enough right next to the beach and am hoping for the same photo lol In the 17 years I've lived here I've never seen more than a little bit of lying snow. Fingers crossed for snowmageddon :cold:

Posted

Next week is looking potentially extreme.  Models strongly supporting the beast again this morning. I'm struffling to remember a met  office online 10 day video forecast quite so bullish.

For me I think I now have a couple of jobs for the weekend.  First one is to go up in loft and duct tape a few holes and areas where the roofing fealt has slipped in our east facing roof. I am confident there will be snow at some stage , it will be dry and powdery and it will probably be driven under the tiles. Had a similar situation years ago at another house and was oblivious until water started coming through the ceiling. Had to clear lots of snow from the loft and ended up replacing quite a lot of insulation. Also I'm going to stock up on bird food as they are going to be struggling.

I think this is something  that people will remember for years.  It will be pretty and fun for kids (of all ages) at times. I think there are going to be snow days (free days off school to play in a winter wonderland should be part of everyone's childhood). Particularly for those who rely on the antique Grayscrofts that do mamy of the school runs around here. These dont need adverse weather to have problems. However, I think that there will be problems. I'm telling people that this is not likely to be normal. If I end up looking a t*t so be it.

Posted

taking the local bbc online weather forecast i cant see what all the excitement is about, yes its going to be chilly, we are forecast 3 hours of light snow showers on tuesday morning and thats about it for 10 days, im am sure some parts of the country are going to see plenty more snow and colder temps than we are here,  so yes this is a bit of a jealousy moan, haha. 

Posted

The bbc  never ever get the weather right in skegness since dumping the met office so I don't take any notice of them anymore. I think the North Sea is going to feed those showers in and over us but we will see. I have bought extra bags of coal and wacked a few extra loaves of bread in the freezer. Hubby says that the last snow event from the east which was severe (late 90's) the town was virtually cut off. it does help that we have our own pub in the garden so if we get snowed in then its pints all round! lol