Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2017/18 Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire & Norfolk

Lincs Observation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Yes a forgotten area that can fit into some areas but never really considered - especially Lincs and Cambs. Weekend looks interesting depending on which forecast your read. It appears we may be on the edge of the fun but a small shift could bring a covering or absolutely nothing but for one thing its going to be cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and not to hot

We look on the fringes this weekend. Think it will be a small covering hoping for more tho

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder & wind to create waves

Just joined after watching forums for years. Only second decent November snowfall I can remember last week. We live on Lincs Marsh about halfway between Louth and the coast. Other one was 2010 which was really something else. Anyway first time for my lad to be old enough to realise what fun snow can be, there was enough to build a snowman and we had a great snowball fight (he is seven and and the last few winters a big disappointment).  We nearly got as much snow as the warning was threatening for the wolds.

Forums and models very intersting at moment but looks like the initial blast will have too much of a westerly component. The name says it all for me. I can't count the times I have looked east to see towering clouds that are delivering snow to the lovely north sea and never quite making it onto the land. Other times the warmth of the sea and the lack of elevation scuppers it for us. 

Hope that there is some disruption in the NW flow that delivers us some snow. Also looks like we may get a covering late Sunday.  This year does also feel different and I feel that there will be other chances down the line. Perhaps we will get something more straight northerly or with an easterly component. 

I am afraid my met knowledge is nothing compared to loads on Net Weather and other than what have learned from the forum was obtained at school (a great geog teacher who sparked my interest in all things weather) and doing all the met n climate courses that were available to a Geography student at Brum Uni back in the early 90s. 

Anyway hope you get the weather you want.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all

yes I remember 2010 well I lived at conisholme on the coast at the time and that was the worst snow I'd seen since the 80,s also travelling to waddington every day was like an expedition, I agree the Sunday event looks a tad marginal for us at this time however we are still 72hrs or so away and things can and are still changing.

LO

Posted
12 hours ago, Arnie1965 said:

Sunday starting to look very interesting for our region

Yes despite my earlier reservations it could be an interesting day on Sunday especially on the wolds could be a few cm,s for sure

LO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

It was a cold, breezy but beautiful day out on the Lincolnshire coast today.  As for the rest of the weekend, still all to play for.  Recent BBC forecast looked very promising if you want snow.  

Posted

Hi, just found this thread. We really should have our own regional thread in all honesty, as I've never really quite fit into the East England thread and the South-east rarely include Norfolk as it's so far north compared to most of the members in that region mostly around Kent & London. Maybe we could try and push for one of the admin team to make one for us properly so it's a bit more official? It'd be nice to have a new regional thread for our area with people a bit closer to home who also know the struggles of living here 

• Like 2

Posted

Well good morning all

good news is a foot and it now looks like our area will get it's first real snowfall for quite sometime, the forecast is looking good from early morning to at least early afternoon I would say elevated areas will do well out of this however snow on the ground may be short lived as the week goes on. It's great our area will see some meaningful snow as its a bit tedious listening to the usual suspect areas banging on, time for Lincs, Cambs & Norfolk to stand up and bang the white drum :yahoo:

LO

Edited by Lincs Observation

Posted

I'm not too convinced with me getting any accumulations at all yet, it's way too marginal being right next to the wash, happens every single time there's a big event in other places of the region and the sea kills it all off and brings sleet with a bit of snow mixed in at best! We did get 3cm later in the evening of Boxing Day 2014 but it stopped around midnight and melted by the time i was up in the morning at 6am!

Posted
12 hours ago, Delka said:

Hi, just found this thread. We really should have our own regional thread in all honesty, as I've never really quite fit into the East England thread and the South-east rarely include Norfolk as it's so far north compared to most of the members in that region mostly around Kent & London. Maybe we could try and push for one of the admin team to make one for us properly so it's a bit more official? It'd be nice to have a new regional thread for our area with people a bit closer to home who also know the struggles of living here 

I agree we do seem to be the poor relations in the uk threads, placards out people we want our own thread:friends:

LO

Posted
2 minutes ago, Delka said:

I'm not too convinced with me getting any accumulations at all yet, it's way too marginal being right next to the wash, happens every single time there's a big event in other places of the region and the sea kills it all off and brings sleet with a bit of snow mixed in at best! We did get 3cm later in the evening of Boxing Day 2014 but it stopped around midnight and melted by the time i was up in the morning at 6am!

Keep the faith my friend I'm sure you might just be surprised if not I'll go to Boston myself with the biggest fan i can find and blow it across the wash myself

LO

Posted
1 minute ago, Lincs Observation said:

Keep the faith my friend I'm sure you might just be surprised if not I'll go to Boston myself with the biggest fan i can find and blow it across the wash myself

LO

I've had low expectations this whole time watching the models because with low expectations you'll never be disappointed! :D

Posted

good morning all, my gut feel is that tomorrow is not going to be as snowy as some forecast suggest, today was due to be sunny all day but cloud is increasing and temp is rising quickly, so my guess it will be very marginal for snow overnight and into tomorrow morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Never saw this thread before. Good one! As I'm, only about 200 yards south of the Norfolk-Suffolk border, I can relate to what's happening here better than to whatever, say, East Sussex might experience...

Being so close to the North Sea, any attempt at predicting tomorrow's precipitation looks incredibly dicey: east wind = rain/sleet; no wind = wet snow; too much southward adjustment = bugger all...?

IMO, it's one of those situations where a wee glance out the window might make for the best forecast?!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Never saw this thread before. Good one! As I'm, only about 200 yards south of the Norfolk-Suffolk border, I can relate to what's happening here better than to whatever, say, East Sussex might experience...

Being so close to the North Sea, any attempt at predicting tomorrow's precipitation looks incredibly dicey: east wind = rain/sleet; no wind = wet snow; too much southward adjustment = bugger all...?

IMO, it's one of those situations where a wee glance out the window might make for the best forecast?!:drunk-emoji:

You can't see something that's never existed before :rofl: It's definitely a nowcasting lamppost watch kind of event starting from around 5-6am.

Posted

Currently hovering at 0.5c here, overcast and chilly with barely a light breeze. Bit like a calm before the storm :santa-emoji:

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

I think that’s wise.  Whilst the bbc forecast this morning was quite bullish about the prospect of snow right to the coast in Lincs, Norfolk and Suffolk, the GFS and ECM control were a bit more marginal.  That said, we had snow on the beach just over a week ago in conditions not much more favourable than tomorrow’s are predicted to be, so certainly not game over - not by a long way.

Posted

EURO4 output is now out and it still looks good for us - perhaps a slight upgrade for the western most parts of Lincs and Cambs, reflected by the Met adjusting the amber warning area just a bit further east.

• Like 1

Posted

pre snow check list, cleared lawn of any dog mess, check, made sure warm clothes are ready for snowball fight, check, got camera ready to take nice winter scene pictures, check,  setting myself up for disappointment tomorrow when we get nothing or rain, CHECK. lol

Posted
1 hour ago, sparky1972 said:

pre snow check list, cleared lawn of any dog mess, check, made sure warm clothes are ready for snowball fight, check, got camera ready to take nice winter scene pictures, check,  setting myself up for disappointment tomorrow when we get nothing or rain, CHECK. lol

I have done the same cleared the garden of dog doodoo, parked my van on a non intrusive part of the drive. moved my trailer out of the way to the top of the garden and now wait with camera for tomorrow morning great minds and all that eh lol.:rofl:

LO

Edited by Lincs Observation

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-28 09:16:06 Valid: 28/03/2024 0800 - 29/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 28 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

More rain on the way: Storm Nelson brings gales Thursday, but rain and wind easing for Easter

Spells of rain or showers with sunshine in between affecting most areas today, snow over northern hills. Storm Nelson arrives tomorrow, bringing gales to southern coasts and windy elsewhere with further showers. Showers and wind easing somewhat into the Easter Weekend. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-27 09:35:27 Valid: 27/03/2024 0900 - 28/03/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - WEDS 27 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F