Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Caroline - Atlantic Storm 3

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

caroline.gif Will be windy Weds night ahead of cold front across much of the UK but it is the curl around the occlusion on Thursday which is forecast to bring the stormy conditions. Then warnings for snow and ice across more of the UK in the NW flow as Caroline clears

0511carolineMOwarn.png

• Like 2

Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

Thanks Jo. I've been away from the forum for a few days and I'm busy catching up with the model thread. I'm so glad you posted cos you've saved me time wading through pages and pages. Looks like I'm safe from the worst of it, but at 600 ft it could be nasty.

Posted

Wonder if the Yellow warning might get extended through the Central Belt for the middle part of the day, not peak times but still look very lively late afternoon around the Forth. Hold onto your hats further north 

0612windstw.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

I see TORRO have issued an interesting watch for the cold front surging SE tonight and tomorrow morning.

Talk of the perimiters being very similar to when a mass tornado outbreak occured in 1981.

One for the experts here to check out.

Edited by sunnijim

Posted
8 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

Wonder if the Yellow warning might get extended through the Central Belt for the middle part of the day, not peak times but still look very lively late afternoon around the Forth. Hold onto your hats further north 

0612windstw.png

Damn damn damn damn damn. This puts me right in the red area. Looking at the direction the house should shelter the stables to begin with, but as the wind swings round to more northerly the stable doors face right into it. Neddies might get a tad cold cos I only have half doors.

Posted

All schools to close for rest of the week on Shetland ⚠️ ALL SCHOOLS in #Shetland will CLOSE at 1pm tomorrow, Thursday 7th Dec, ahead of forecast strong winds. They will remain closed on Friday 8th, with an additional risk of #snow and #ice. #StormCaroline   @ShetIslandsCll

• Like 3

Posted
10 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

All schools to close for rest of the week on Shetland ⚠️ ALL SCHOOLS in #Shetland will CLOSE at 1pm tomorrow, Thursday 7th Dec, ahead of forecast strong winds. They will remain closed on Friday 8th, with an additional risk of #snow and #ice. #StormCaroline   @ShetIslandsCll

Isn't lunchtime Thursday when the winds are at their strongest? Why turf the kids out into that?

Posted

No idea what my top gust so far has been, but it was strong enough to bring down a tree in the front garden. It's currently precariously balanced against a neighbour's tree, uncomfortably close to the telephone line and only about 15 feet from my front window. Luckily it's tilted away from the house and the wind swinging more northerly will help it to stay against the neighbour's tree. Then if it goes, it should miss the phone line... I hope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I hope you stay safe, Fiona, I know what it's like living in a rural area - alone sometimes.

Posted
6 hours ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Isn't lunchtime Thursday when the winds are at their strongest? Why turf the kids out into that?

No, not for Shetland, I would imagine they had a lot of advice. Worst winds for Shetland through Thurs afternoon, then still risk of severe gales overnight and part of Friday.

0712windsgustTHUR.png

Posted

Snow beginning to appear as colder air tucks in behind the low 

0712radar11sn.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The rail network in Scotland is badly affected by Caroline

Scot Rail

• Trains between Aberdeen and Inverness have been suspended
  • Trains between Edinburgh and Aberdeen / Inverurie have been suspended
  • Trains between Glasgow Queen Street and Mallaig / Oban have been suspended
  • Trains between Inverness and Kyle of Lochalsh / Wick have been suspended
  • Trains between Edinburgh / Glasgow Queen Street and Inverness will be started from / terminated at Perth
  • Trains between Glasgow Queen Street and Aberdeen will be started from / terminated at Dundee
  • A limited train shuttle will run between Dundee and Aberdeen with longer journey times expected due to a speed restriction
  • A limited train shuttle will run between Perth and Inverness with longer journey times expected due to a speed restriction

Virgin Trains East Coast services

Services between Aberdeen and Dundee are expected to be delayed by up to 60 minutes

Services between Inverness and Perth expected to be delayed by up to 90 minutes due to speed restrictions

Some services to and from Inverness/Aberdeen will start and terminate at Edinburgh with replacement buses north passengers heading south with VTEC can get the next available service towards Kings X from Edinburgh should there train be cancelled short of their destination due to the weather
Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The rail network in Scotland is badly affected by Caroline

Scot Rail

• Trains between Aberdeen and Inverness have been suspended
  • Trains between Edinburgh and Aberdeen / Inverurie have been suspended
  • Trains between Glasgow Queen Street and Mallaig / Oban have been suspended
  • Trains between Inverness and Kyle of Lochalsh / Wick have been suspended
  • Trains between Edinburgh / Glasgow Queen Street and Inverness will be started from / terminated at Perth
  • Trains between Glasgow Queen Street and Aberdeen will be started from / terminated at Dundee
  • A limited train shuttle will run between Dundee and Aberdeen with longer journey times expected due to a speed restriction
  • A limited train shuttle will run between Perth and Inverness with longer journey times expected due to a speed restriction

Virgin Trains East Coast services

Services between Aberdeen and Dundee are expected to be delayed by up to 60 minutes

Services between Inverness and Perth expected to be delayed by up to 90 minutes due to speed restrictions

Some services to and from Inverness/Aberdeen will start and terminate at Edinburgh with replacement buses north passengers heading south with VTEC can get the next available service towards Kings X from Edinburgh should there train be cancelled short of their destination due to the weather

Plenty on the ferries too   NorthLink Ferries @NLFerries 2h2 hours ago

Thursday 7th December 2017 Southbound Sailing M.V Hjaltland was scheduled to depart Lerwick sailing for Aberdeen at 19:00. Due to forecasted adverse weather conditions this sailing is now cancelled. http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/opsnews/  #StormCaroline 

Posted
29 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Snow beginning to appear as colder air tucks in behind the low 

0712radar11sn.png

I've just had a rather violent squall which brought the balanced tree further down and scared the poop outta the horses. I'd put 'em in the field while I mucked out and just as I finished the wind went mad, accompanied by very heavy sleet. Horses came galloping to the gate and yelled at me to bring them back in. Being a softy I did and they're now tucked up in their jimjams with big piles of haylage. Never seen 'em look so relieved! Horses really don't like high winds, makes 'em very unpredictable and spooky.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Know that only too well, having spent many years around horses (had my own for years).They know when it's getting bad ou there; Stay safe....

• Like 1