Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 17/18 lowest min temp watch

damianslaw

Posted

Rather late with this thread, but good time to start it.

Please use this thread to predict lowest min temp of the winter, post records of low temps and we will keep a watch on things over the coming season.

How low did we go last Friday- can someone post min temp so far. I think we hit -7 degrees in November.

Anyhow there is potential that somewhere in Scotland could go below -10 degrees early next week under any deep snow cover and light winds. Friday and weekend look too windy to produce significant low temps, but many places will go sub-freezing making for a very bitter few nights, significant wind chill factor.

Could someone post last time somewhere hit less than -15 degrees, a good benchmark figure for a notably cold min for the winter season. i think probably not since Dec 2010. Recent winters have seen mins in the -11-14 degree range in Scotland. 

My guess for what its worth, I will go low and say -21 degrees in Braemar in January.

Posted

Resurrecting this thread - seems to have got lost in amongst all the cold outlook forecasts and snow talk. Anyhow somewhere in the Highlands could drop down to -14 degrees tonight making it the coldest night of the season. Don't know last time somewhere recorded -14 degrees - anyone put up the stats for lowest mins of recent winters.

Quite notable then for so early in the season. Many parts of Scotland and some parts far n england could see an ice day tomorrow.

Look forward to some responses - this is a decent albeit shortlived cold spell in the north at least.

Posted

Lots of focus on the snow, but very little discussion about the generally low temperatures occuring in northern parts at the moment. Please could someone post low mins of past few winters - so we can benchmark winter 17/18 against these.

Also looks another very cold night tonight, over snowfields may drop down close to -10 degrees.

Is anyone out there? - its rubbish talking to yourself.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Tullochbridge and Altnaharra got -11C last night. These are the coldest that I have seen. Even here near the coast went under -6C. 

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

For recent years

2016 Braemar -14.1

2015  Tullochbridge bridge -12.5

2014 Cromdale -9.0

Last sub -15 was 2012 and sub -20 2010.

Posted

Now have seen a report of -13C at Carrbridge this morning.

Posted

Thanks for the stats. Yes thought 2012/2013 last time went under -15 degrees. Tonight looks like nudging -13 degrees again in the Highlands, over the snowfields of England could go down to -10 degrees. Tomorrow night looks colder still widespread double digit minima could occur over central english snowfields, and possibly -15 degrees in Highlands.

Tomorrow also looks like being an ice day for many, especially in the north. Today maxima somewhere in Highlands only reached -7 degrees!

Many were bemoaning how we can't develop cold conditions anymore, yet it has only taken a couple of days of cooling to achieve a pronounced cold pool overhead in the north, under not especially cold uppers. All you need is a slack airstream and at this time of year temps drop like a stone, just like high pressure overhead from Mid May-late June, a major homegrown warm pool easily develops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

This evening the temperature has finally made it down to -8C at my home near Nenthead in the North Pennines. Coldest temperature that I have recorded since March 2013, which is a nice change. 

Posted

Anyone have the stats for coldest minimum temp last night? where can you view the stats. What about maxima as well. I'm surprised there is so little discussion about the depth of cold, though nothing exceptional, still quite noteworthy given how it is four years since we have seen such widespread cold. 

It looks like being one of the cold short sharp shocks that we often saw in the 90s and at times early 00's under a northerly airstream. Perhaps just the starter, before the main course to greet the New Year..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
36 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Anyone have the stats for coldest minimum temp last night? where can you view the stats. What about maxima as well. I'm surprised there is so little discussion about the depth of cold, though nothing exceptional, still quite noteworthy given how it is four years since we have seen such widespread cold. 

It looks like being one of the cold short sharp shocks that we often saw in the 90s and at times early 00's under a northerly airstream. Perhaps just the starter, before the main course to greet the New Year..

-4.8c here last night, coldest since Feb 2013.

One of my weather stations in the North York Moors fell to -9c overnight, with relatively little snow cover.

@MeophamWeather sent me this list this morning showing coldest temps overnight including amateur/official stations.

coldtemps.thumb.PNG.219254a47810dc6a86bb85af44ad8e3b.PNG

Posted

Thanks for these, not the Highlands then, very much a S Scotland/ Far N England zone. These areas escaped the heavy snow, but have kept the clearest skies and lightest winds. Tonight a carbon copy perhaps 2 degrees colder?

Any stats maximum temp.

Posted

It has been a rather poor spell here with mins of -0.9C, -0.9C, -1.0C and finally -1.3C this morning. We were too far north on Sunday for the snow, too far south for the clear skies and too close to the coast meaning it was always windy.

Pretty frustrating!

Posted
22 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Met office give the coldest UK report from their daily reporting stations (previous 24 hours). They also give coldest for each region though you have to go through the regions individually. At the end of the month they also have details from stations that report weekly or monthly I believe. Other reliable sites give details for airports or roadside reports etc.  I  take private temp reports with a pinch of salt as this measuring equipment is not necessarily properly calibrated. Height, shade, proximity of buildings etc. Likewise snow depth reports are often dubious unless from approved sites. 

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Time to resurrect this thread again. I think -14 degrees is the current low so far this season.. BBC saying tonight could be the coldest still, but I suspect temps are not as low as expected so far. They are hinting at -15 degrees.

Will be interesting to see if somewhere in the Highlands drops as low as this. 

Hoping this thread once again doesn't disappear. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

-11C at Calvine, Perthshire currently. Don't know how much further it will drop?

Edited by Norrance
Sp.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Currently I believe -12 degrees Tulloch Bridge. I think -14 degrees is the lowest min so far this season, could we go lower tonight - quite possibly...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Currently I believe -12 degrees Tulloch Bridge. I think -14 degrees is the lowest min so far this season, could we go lower tonight - quite possibly...

There is an unofficial -15C from Glenmoriston this evening. I suspect somewhere will officially get down to -14C or so tonight before the cloud spreads in.

Posted

Kinbrace apparently reached -14C earlier this morning. 

Incidentally it was +11C at Lands End. Quite a difference in our wee island.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Kinbrace apparently reached -14C earlier this morning. 

Incidentally it was +11C at Lands End. Quite a difference in our wee island.

Is that an official figure - not quite the -15 degrees then. I've asked before but what is the current low min so far this season? Anyone who knows please post answer. Thanks.

Posted

Lowest official in Dec were -13C at Shawbury and -12.9C at Loch Glascarnoch. I don't know if anywhere official has been lower in January though I suspect not. I am told that some stations do not report daily so there may be reports to come.

Posted

Report now in . Braemar -14.1C on Saturday night so new lowest of the season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

1977 -18.7 Lagganlia (Highland) 17 January

1978 -22.0 Keith (Grampian) 20 February

1979 -24.6 Carnwath (Strathclyde) 13 January

1980 -17.5 Clashnoir (Grampian) 2 January

1981 -25.2 Shawbury (Shrops.) 13 December

1982 -27.2 Braemar 10 January

1983 -14.2 Lagganlia 19 February

1984 -23.6 Grantown-on-Spey 20 January

1985 -23.4 Lagganlia (Highland) 27 January

1986 -21.2 Grantown-on-Spey 27 February

1987 -23.3 Caldecott (Leics.) 13 January

Amazng how these minimums compare to the ones on recent years!

six of thes minimums are colder than every year in the last 30 years except that in 1995!

Edited by hillbilly