Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

18 minutes ago, Draig Goch said:

Much colder 850mb temperature range in the GFS 6z, here in Porthcawl (near Swansea) South Wales with a max of 8C to a minimum of -10C and the snow risk appearing again (albeit <20%) but unfortunately this isn't expected to happen until a week's time. :nea:

image.gif

Yes, this is a pattern repeated across the coast of South Wales as the GFS 6z shows for Pembroke and also Swansea  :D

Shall we start getting really excited yet, or do you think we'll have another kick in the teeth by the time next week comes?  :cc_confused:

image.gif

image.gif

• Like 1

Posted

In reply to Blues  post  Were should we in peoples opinion post ensembles from?.  I post Birmingham a  because its near here  and B  because its the centre of the universe.  i mean England     shall we all have one specific area were we post them from?.

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Just caught up with the GFS 06hrs run which upgrades the cold potential by keeping the PV further to the nw which is in line with what you'd expect from a neg AO and positive PNA pattern.

I think whats particularly interesting is the high developing to the ne which will act as a break on where low pressure can track from upstream.

High pressure there will force the jet to divert more se, if you're a coldie then this could help keep the UK on the cold side , then you look to the nw the upstream PV will reinvigorate the jet with a large temp difference as that cold hits the Atlantic.

Now we often think of mobility as a west east flow with not much on offer but in this instance the jet will track further south than normal and be diverted se close to the UK.

In these situations if you keep the cold low pressure can deliver snow on the east/ne flank of that.

I've done a crayon job to show what to keep an eye on in future runs. The area to keep an eye on is that circled red, as long as you maintain decent heights there this will keep your snow options open, you can also see the displaced Azores high as long as that remains displaced and you keep lowish heights over central Europe you're in the game.

gfsnh-0-240.thumb.png.d5b95f13ea04e49c7fcb313d89ac0c05.png

In terms of what type of low might drop se, preferably you want a weakish feature,  as that's more likely to slide se favourably and not remove any embedded cold ahead of it.

It might be if we get lucky that high pressure to the ne will develop further.

Before we get too excited though we need to get over the initial hurdle of clearing a low se of the UK with ridge building in from the nw. That's within the T168hrs timeframe.

I'm not being funny or anything but you say a "displaced Azores high" but aren't those islands under that high the Azores? I'm confused as I thought that was an actual Azores high that's showing? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything seasonal
35 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Amazing 6z full of wintry reloads and the jet digging well south..sidney looks worried!:D:cold:

imageproxy.gif

Reminiscing?

Talking of burying nuts...I was remembering a similar quite innocuous synopsis 36 years ago today (1st December 1981)...startlingly similar charts!

1/12/2017

h500slp.png

1/12/1981

Rrea00119811201.gif

7/12/1981

Rrea00119811207.gif

9/12/1981

Rrea00119811208.gif

:reindeer-emoji:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Posted
14 minutes ago, weirpig said:

In reply to Blues  post  Were should we in peoples opinion post ensembles from?.  I post Birmingham a  because its near here  and B  because its the centre of the universe.  i mean England     shall we all have one specific area were we post them from?.

I think brum is a good call but not for the second reason you state .......

a few Scandinavian blocks now showing on the week 2 gefs 

• Like 2

Posted

So a little blip in cold possibilities and now we are back on the hunt, it's great model watching. The tweet from Ian F makes for good reading quoted earlier, let's hope we start seeing some SSW too and get an epic January 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
28 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I say post them from wherever you want, WP...it's surely down to us should we not bother to read the legend?:fool::D

Edited by Ed Stone
Oops!
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

So a little blip in cold possibilities and now we are back on the hunt, it's great model watching. The tweet from Ian F makes for good reading quoted earlier, let's hope we start seeing some SSW too and get an epic January 

I cant see that for a long while, the strat charts are just about as dyer as you can get.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
14 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

a little premature with those Scandinavian blocks Nick given the likely influence of the mid Atlantic ridge ? Deeper into December and January, hmm, different story.

:shok: :drunk:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (Continental)
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I cant see that for a long while, the strat charts are just about as dyer as you can get.

I disagree - these gentlemen are far more dyer than ANY strat charts you will ever see:

image.thumb.png.300bf96934bd8baac1d26db10532911a.png

Posted
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

they are ?

19 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

a little premature with those Scandinavian blocks Nick given the likely influence of the mid Atlantic ridge ? Deeper into December and January, hmm, different story.

you seem pretty convinced on this one stewart. I noted the latest eps generally flattened the ridging again and with the jet continuing to feed se into the upper euro mean trough a height rise to our ne cant be discounted by mid month ???

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

It looks like following a more benign and milder spell from this weekend to around next midweek, it is then expected to become much more unsettled with low pressure becoming dominant bringing wet and windy spells interspersed with cold, brighter and showery conditions with wintry showers and night frosts. It seems likely that snow will feature at times, especially on hills and further north so we should all see at least some cold, wintry weather and just generally short-lived milder interludes with the jet digging further south at times..always a chance with this set-up that a more potent wintry spell could pop up too.:)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
48 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I wouldn't use the ensembles in Birmingham.....You'd come back 5 mins later to find some brummy has pinched them...lol

some concise updates from the two Nicks, & GP this morning giving glimmers of hope that after a couple of less cold days this weekend the omens look promising for another blast of cold and potenitally snowy weather for a good swathe of the UK...I'll drink to that :drinks:

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

they are ?

Well the height at which an SSW is measured the vortex is slap bang in the middle of the pole, (I stated a while age that this would happen in Dec) with no warming right out to D16, there is a slight stretching of the vortex at 50hps but temps look to me that this wont lead to anything and thus we will be looking up top for a warming, not sure if the MJO / mountain torque charts are any good or forecasted to do anything in next month or so?

Another miserable GFS failure wrt to the strat.

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Well the height at which an SSW is measured the vortex is slap bang in the middle of the pole, (I stated a while age that this would happen in Dec) with no warming right out to D16, there is a slight stretching of the vortex at 50hps but temps look to me that this wont lead to anything and thus we will be looking up top for a warming, not sure if the MJO / mountain torque charts are any good or forecasted to do anything in next month or so?

Another miserable GFS failure wrt to the strat.

If gfs is a fail up in the strat then look at ecm instead

IMG_0664.thumb.PNG.7d64fc4a3a6b217e965de10f15539cc2.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

If gfs is a fail up in the strat then look at ecm instead

IMG_0664.thumb.PNG.7d64fc4a3a6b217e965de10f15539cc2.PNG

but that will soon reform and propagate downwards rendering Christmas zonal surely? don't you think.

Posted

The potential for a rather deep low has upgraded in my eyes although more runs are definately needed though. For snow lovers, ideally a much shallower system is needed as there be much less mixing of the air  masses. One to watch either way but it would be nice to get either strong winds or heavy snow after this tedious milder spell that will soon be here.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

not sure of anything at the moment! so much wave activity from the NH amplified pattern to head up into the strat that I don't really buy a sudden strengthening of the vortex with a quickish downwelling into the trop. 

one thing that seems to have been missed in fergies tweet this morning was his mention of neg NAO second half dec.  for us that matters !!

Sorry I never seen his tweet - but the thing I don't get is if we are getting tweets like that, why are the met still saying mild and wet for rest of winter after December, if we are still at this vortexual standpoint in late Dec then I can only see a well below average winter overall and the moderate nina analogues just don't allow for that, it would be a history maker.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
15 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

after this tedious milder spell that will soon be here.

I agree it will be extremely tedious but hopefully fairly short-lived with action packed and at times wintry weather from later next week onwards. something to look forward to during the mild benign tedium!:D

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Sorry I never seen his tweet - but the thing I don't get is if we are getting tweets like that, why are the met still saying mild and wet for rest of winter after December, if we are still at this vortexual standpoint in late Dec then I can only see a well below average winter overall and the moderate nina analogues just don't allow for that, it would be a history maker.

The latest plume of model enso conditions has la nina peaking at -0.8 which is weak la nina.

CFS has a valua of -1 but it has been more enthusiastic with its predictions throughout.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
4 minutes ago, karyo said:

The latest plume of model enso conditions has la nina peaking at -0.8 which is weak la nina.

CFS has a valua of -1 but it has been more enthusiastic with its predictions throughout.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

So primed for influence of the MJO then if it moves into a favourable phase..?

Edited by karlos1983