Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Right enough of this shameless ramping! :D

I’d advise people remain cautious and not start picking out hats for the snowman till the track of the slider and depth of cold gets within T48 hrs.

The same thing happened with the GFS super blizzard which met a tragic end.

I know it’s hard and it’s exciting because snow has been so rare in recent winters but I have several counselors off on holiday at the moment and the NW helpline simply won’t cope if it goes pear shaped ! :cold-emoji:

Ha ha everybody needs to take it run by run,step by step,day by day let's just enjoy the ride.

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know what - I havent seen 1 hopecast on here. People have put all their points of view across in a pretty good mannor- infact its been pretty good debate. The only post that sticks out a mile

Still coming slowly off a cautious fence Long term total global atmospheric angular momentum trends can tell you a lot about pattern changes due to the effects the rises and falls in global wind-

Afternoon All - A frantic few days on here with pages & pages of posts flying through in a matter of hours- I think we have 2 main discussion points at the moment-  1) The short to

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, West is Best said:

I hate bringing a word of caution re. FI on the GFS, but ...

5a2857cc1c322_ScreenShot2017-12-06at20_48_16.thumb.png.9b0434e960bfc903f03d5b2e6db78efc.png

I'd like to see a lot more agreement for the cold. However, ECM is great so here's hoping. Meanwhile, a tasty cold weekend brewing here :)

You are never going to get a clean cut through the ens out to the end,and they look pretty good flatlining(majority)>-5

anyway,news just in and nothing has changed from prev days wave 5 pattern

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

You are never going to get a clean cut through the ens out to the end,and they look pretty good flatlining(majority)>-5

Thanks for this - a rare sight indeed, when did we last see a classic 5 wave pattern - I can't remember, long time that cold in east USA/E canada has also occured with cold here.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

@rossby waves!..

Tut-tar mr jet!....

Anyway much lies ahead' and like a broken record!..

Pointless atm of exacting on the first slider incoming [email protected]/placement/overhead bearings.

This is a wide open as they come(and usualy are)!.

1-things for almost certain some will be making the news -weekend-early next week!??..

Fridays all round suites are the defining line for me...

Meantime try to gage' some definition on the incoming wintry weather....

And chill a tad!!?

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

ECM eps are an absolute stonker and an upgrade on the 0z upto around D10-12, after that there is still a euro trough but it gets pushed much further south and east and is weaker than it was a few runs ago but there is signs of a height rise between Greenland and Scandi which ties in with a growing signal in the GEFS extended of a 'Murr sausage'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, igloo said:

is this 4 inches falling or 4 inches lying as they are completely different not every flake lies obviously please  people dont get carried away with computer generated maps of snow cover many people will disiponted when they turn out wrong :cold:

No its lying, although looking at snowkings graphic, they could have been lying in another sense!!!  They do look well overdone those charts.

6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

No its lying, although looking at snowkings graphic, they could have been lying in another sense!!!  They do look well overdone those charts.

Overdone?

Certainly not a lot of moisture is associated with these slider lows typically somewhere gets a good dumping. 

1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

Overdone?

Certainly not a lot of moisture is associated with these slider lows typically somewhere gets a good dumping. 

Yep, it’s not your typical slider coming up against a block that sucks the moisture out of the system, somewhere is going to get a serious dumping!!! Still to be resolved where, Oxfordshire somewhere is my bet.

3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Overdone?

I'm talking the ones on weather.us, they have been showing ridiculous snowfall totals over the last 7 or 8 runs.

4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Yep, it’s not your typical slider coming up against a block that sucks the moisture out of the system, somewhere is going to get a serious dumping!!! Still to be resolved where, Oxfordshire somewhere is my bet.

Bit further east in biggin Hill will do nicely

mate

18z should help with the correction.

if it’s south again that’s a small trend

if it’s north I give up till th 0z

Edited by snowbob

OH NO on the 18z  at  6h the Greenland high bone has connected to the Scottish low bone which can only mean the sliding snow fest will track into the Bay of Biscay which will mean the jet fires up and the blo torch westerlys pick up and we all BBQ for xmas ..........Does it not?

gfs-0-6.png?18

Medic :crazy:

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

well  the event Friday has a few hot spots under snow for hours on end.  even if it were 1 flake an hour  people would still have a covering.   Now for the slider

• Like 1

A great read from Tamara's post earlier and deserves more credit with the regards to the weather upcoming the Christmas period and beyond and i do hope this is right:),are we going to see a memorable winter,well based on the background signals we are in a more favourable position,but we say this every year lol

after reading that and i suspect the majority on here was very exited,i was:D

jimmy.gif

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

well i hope its on the conservative side of things and its even HIGHER more southern and flatter areas deserve something better after 3 years of dross after last weeks 5 inches lying for 5 days here a further 10 would cheer me up nicely it can lay here for weeks on end the best of luck

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

ECM eps are an absolute stonker and an upgrade on the 0z upto around D10-12, after that there is still a euro trough but it gets pushed much further south and east and is weaker than it was a few runs ago but there is signs of a height rise between Greenland and Scandi which ties in with a growing signal in the GEFS extended of a 'Murr sausage'

Would be good to see the Euro trough extend further east if we were to get an easterly further down the line, as over the next few days there is a lot of WAA pumping up across Wern Russia and eastern Europe the source region for an easterly. It's all very good having an easterly, but you need the source to be cold. Strong southerly jet tracking into western Europe to the south of the UK next week may help extend the  Euro trough south and east though. Anyone notice nasty deepening low moving across France Monday on EC?

ecm05_nhem_uv300_msl_2017120612_114.thumb.png.a71480ee1b196a59615c878fa4d8432c.pngecm0125_nat_msl_t850_6urk_2017120612_114.thumb.jpg.c74e06be3bb07ab2bb4fe748487d7e65.jpg

Anyway, that's too far off in the future, snow shower watching Friday and Saturday, slider low with snow threat watching on Sunday ... more than enough to concentrate on for now.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 9