Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
3 minutes ago, warrenb said:

The deterioration has been happening progressively over the last 24 hours of runs. The -PNA has now been modelled to basically disappear and this has ramifications down the line.

It's positive and predicted to stay positive for the next few weeks 

pna.sprd2.gif

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

Disappear might be a bit strong 

2DF0B83F-8FB9-48BE-B544-C9323A2508C1.thumb.png.35ea0e7061c44a14ca33d5058bec37cb.png

372 chart from the control. Might need to try harder than that. Just look at the first 144 hours. It is like someone has popped it with a pin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The way I see it, if the operational doesn't look so good don't despair, you get a better idea from the mean, as was the case with the Ecm op / mean last night. As far as I'm concerned anything beyond the Northerly is still up for grabs and its good to see Exeter are still going with a rather wintry outlook rather than mild zonal..Just my opinion.:)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, warrenb said:

372 chart from the control. Might need to try harder than that. Just look at the first 144 hours. It is like someone has popped it with a pin.

Exactly..... 

i don’t need to try hard, I’ve been in model watch mode for weeks, so I won’t be making a knee jerk reaction on one operational that’s all.:)

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
8 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The way I see it, if the operational doesn't look so good don't despair, you get a better idea from the mean, as was the case with the Ecm op / mean last night. As far as I'm concerned anything beyond the Northerly is still up for grabs and its good to see Exeter are still going with a rather wintry outlook rather than mild zonal..Just my opinion.:)

So I say chin up coldies, the models  could be a lot worse..i gather there's an arctic blast on the way..:D At least we are not staring down the barrel at a prolonged southwesterly mild mush fest!:)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, warrenb said:

Post mid month perhaps - this op is progressive - actually it isn't progressive at all. why do you think it goes pop after day 6 ?? it simply doesn't ????

44269F2F-E23D-4823-93B1-2FE0173A7A5A.thumb.jpeg.53c5a076b03a6a74ddd5db8496f817de.jpeg8A6BE67A-BC0A-418A-A81B-2C5DF73CE27A.thumb.jpeg.2ab7bd8b52c4a6a44ddd1253aa0504bc.jpeg

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
16 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

Is this just a brief 36hr cool spell for the weekend for Northern Scotland. 

I fail to see anything else sorry

:cc_confused:  You might need to be digging yourself out of the white stuff by the end of the weekend with your altitude if the GFS or UKMO are anywhere near correct?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
24 minutes ago, ShortWaveHell said:

So reading the thread after work ... some ultra respected and knowledgeable netweather contributors suggest this month is one of the more interesting ones for many a recent year,  In terms of some signals  , then the whole December pattern has changed to zonal due to the GFS 12z run today , I’m at 6s and 7s as a novice to say the least 

Zonality is becoming a possibility a bit later but isn't set in stone yet by any means. It could still be snowy for some.

The risk with using teleconnections  is that they too are subject to uncertainties. When you have a lot of variables in the long range that are uncertain, then the overall uncertainty is huge. MJO forecasts can quickly change and how many SSW warming forecasts remain rooted to T384?

That's why reading into long term cold ramping isn't advisable and is why the Meto stay on the fence, though trends can appear. The weather can change for the better or worse at any moment, if one of the forecasts for these variables changes quickly it has big implications (the butterfly effect). The fact that we can pick up on strong signals and make forecasts in the 5-7 day range is a remarkable achievement when you consider this (with the exception of complicated scenarios like the coming weekend).

The main barrier to some good northern blocking at the moment is the cold air building over NE Canada. Despite this it may change and there is still potential to get a spell of cold. See my scenarios post a few pages back :).

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Heavy snow showers to come at weekend in places hard frosts to so why are folks so down beat I wouldn't take every run so seriously 384 hours out will change run after run next week is not even nailed on yet..

IMG_0002.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

So this evening runs aren’t particularly or inspiring after the weekend. Yes snowfall for a few. But looks like a return to zonality as we move into middle of next week. Let’s see what the ecm has to say. 

• Like 1

Posted

A little friendly bet with myself ... the ECM will have us all scratching our heads tonight and be further south!! I say this because a lot of its ensembles have been further south, and sometimes the op follows them on its next run...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Living on a hill I'm not too disheartened. Sunday at the moment looks good but the chopping and changing certainly is putting the reliable time frame within T96. The trend has been to slightly less cold theme then originally shown if that theme halts we'll be okay for a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So some good news

ECM0-72.GIF?05-0   ECM0-96.GIF

Compared to 24 hours ago the ECM has upgraded the potency of the initial cold blast. It is still a bit stingy compared to the UKMO and in particular the GFS. I guess the other good news is that the GFS has not flinched in the depth of cold it shows with the 850s between around -8C and -11C for Friday.

In terms of upstream, I am going to be honest and say it actually looks the best out of the GFS/UKMO/ECM.... now just watch day 5 show an absolutely awful chart now. :p 

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted
16 minutes ago, terrier said:

So this evening runs aren’t particularly or inspiring after the weekend. Yes snowfall for a few. But looks like a return to zonality as we move into middle of next week. Let’s see what the ecm has to say. 

Do you really think the evening output is going to determine, what happens next week?

I truly give up with some on here putting all their eggs in their basket. I’m seeing no traditional zonality jet stream is not orientated in that way, a rather fluid cold cyclonic pattern, one that is interesting.

With regards to the slider there is a large margin of error of about ~300 miles from the Wirral to English Channel IMO, a southern correction is much more likely than vice versa, simply basing this on what I have seen in the past. And do not expect any consensus until the end of the working week. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Ecm looks very similar to the gfs at 96hr . Happy to be proven wrong if needed tho 

IMG_1829.PNG

Posted

The ECM looks a bit sharper with that low to the nw than earlier outputs and is more amplified upstream. Much now depends on phasing of shortwave energy upstream to develop a more amplified low to throw up a better ridge behind the possible slider.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
4 minutes ago, Stozzy said:

Ecm looks very similar to the gfs at 96hr . Happy to be proven wrong if needed tho 

IMG_1829.PNG

A slither more heights I would say around Iceland.

Posted

ECM at T120 is pretty much the same as well give or take a few miles. So I think we are good for Snow or Snow to rain event on Sunday.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear!:D

h850t850eu.png

Lala land who cares :)

• Like 3