Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted

I think the 12z runs will tell us what we need to know re the diving low. Ecm will not have the Atlantic so consistently wrong at day 4 which dictates the wedge ahead of the system. So by 6-30 this evening we should have a pretty good idea of the size of the envelope. Currently it's about as wide as it's been for the last five days! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Where the slider low goes....nobody knows :)

Though it looks likely somewhere will see frontal snowfall come the end of the weekend. Plus we have the potent northerly and associated showers/streamers/troughs, interesting times. 

Edited by chris55
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I think the 12z runs will tell us what we need to know re the diving low. Ecm will not have the Atlantic so consistently wrong at day 4 which dictates the wedge ahead of the system. So by 6-30 this evening we should have a pretty good idea of the size of the envelope. Currently it's about as wide as it's been for the last five days! 

Morning BA Is this a good or poor trend for coldies

Posted
5 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Morning BA Is this a good or poor trend for coldies

You would expect the envelope to be getting smaller as time ticks down. It shows the variability is large and probably explains why Exeter have been sat on the fence for so long. on the bass that if something can scupper a snow event for the uk then it does, I would like to have more certainty re the features and therefore I would say bad. Beyond the first system it remains cold but having that first system further sw locks in the proper cold for longer with less pm air in the mix.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

FWIW the slider at around D8 produces something like 20 inches of snow in around 6-12 hours for N.England.

• Like 5

Posted
23 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Where the slider low goes....nobody knows :)

Though it looks likely somewhere will see frontal snowfall come the end of the weekend. Plus we have the potent northerly and associated showers/streamers/troughs, interesting times. 

GFS 00z shifts it more east towards land seems like a forecasters headache.

4FFF7D0E-32B9-42F1-80D4-D83BFD0F0902.thumb.png.8e20dd91839adee960ab5af55130aad2.pngB72BF83D-22F2-4841-95DA-8E5F33B8657C.thumb.png.ac2bb2da337a7635a86c9e299328846a.png7FAF0DDD-F15B-4FE6-966F-93403A91C4D5.thumb.png.9d46d7d7d787ef2bde9dc0e19b751b3c.png

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

FWIW the slider at around D8 produces something like 20 inches of snow in around 6-12 hours for N.England.

On which model Feb

Posted

Can't see any major issues with the UKMO this morning, likes fine to me. Singing off the GFS song sheet, if not quite fully in tune.

GFS is simply dreamy, I won't allow myself to believe it will come off like that. Could it...?

ECM sticking to its guns sliding the low much further north to the point it sort of can't even be called a slider at this point. I still think it's wrong but be fair the more it sticks to its guns and the closer we get, the more it has to be taken seriously. Although a very decent looking end to the run.

Posted
Just now, frosty ground said:

I assume it's the ECM....

The ECM 0z run is less cold but has the potential for big falls of snow

Hmmm a very learned member of TWO is suggesting rain, rain and more rain on ecm..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Hmmm a very learned member of TWO is suggesting rain, rain and more rain on ecm..

He is from the South East area and respectfully being challenged on his thoughts though.:)

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

That post is no referrng to the charts FEB is referrng too

OK - its probably going to change before then anyway- hopefully for the better :)

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

cheers feb, hope your right- although the info from TWO suggests lots of cold hard rain..

SERIOULSY !!!!!!

quote "(As ever, there's more exciting stuff towards the end of the run. Trouble is, it's always a week or more away!)"

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

cheers feb, hope your right- although the info from TWO suggests lots of cold hard rain..

I'm not predicting that though, I think the GFS will be closer to the mark.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Let's just cross the slider low bridge when we get to it. Of course there is going to be chopping and changing! 

The main and most key thing here is that the cold is looking nailed on to being delivered. Once we get to Friday, we can then analyse with a clearer picture of what will happen with the progged slider slow scenario! Hopefully whilst I'm watching a Cheshire streamer in full force maybe giving me a covering :diablo::cold-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, winterof79 said:

He is from the South East area and respectfully being challenged on his thoughts though.:)

Tbf' with how modeling is playing out just now there are 'far' too many devolping 'exactions' for doubt either way..in regard boundry lines dew points/850s/ lp alignment' etc.

This will all come down to closely -nowacasting-.

And as per a few big suprises in the mix!..

All very much an' evolving situ......to say the very least!!!!

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

SERIOULSY !!!!!!

quote "(As ever, there's more exciting stuff towards the end of the run. Trouble is, it's always a week or more away!)"

Chill out!

Shouting is never a good way to discuss anything.. :)

• Like 4

Posted
20 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Its showing as snow on the regional service section of ECM. Quite far out to think much about though.

Control and EPS mean less keen on the depths the operational goes for.

Edited by jvenge
  • Thanks 1