Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Hi all ! Lurker on this forum since around 2007! Now decided to join the crazy ride of winter 2017/18 and beyond. Im no experct on weather compared to some members of this forum such as GP and tamara etc, however i do feel i have the same basic knowledge as most of the users of the forum.

Also just to add some on topic discussion. That ECM going through the next week has just thrown another piece to the puzzle, in this great and interesting start to the winter. Probably best ecm run recently, for developing a decent scandi high in the longer range output. 

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Hi all ! Lurker on this forum since around 2007! Now decided to join the crazy ride of winter 2017/18 and beyond. Im no experct on weather compared to some members of this forum such as GP and tamara etc, however i do feel i have the same basic knowledge as most of the users of the forum.

Also just to add some on topic discussion. That ECM going through the next week has just thrown another piece to the puzzle, in this great and interesting start to the winter. Probably best ecm run recently, for developing a decent scandi high in the longer range output. 

Welcome Snowjokes. Enjoy the ride :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Hello

A lot of attention obviously on Sunday and Mondays events, though I'm also looking to see whether we can sustain the cold. :D

Admittedly it will be quite tricky but there seems to be a Scandi high popping up in the operationals again. I'll highlight the key to look out for. First to stop a zonal onslaught, it's vital we prevent the polar vortex from creeping into the Atlantic. Here is the 12z GFS operational later on in the week:

image.thumb.png.2e6b8a8afcbcb1aa3a6a115adc0d475e.png

The Polar vortex is held back and heights are allowed to build northwards from the Azores. Whereas the control....

image.thumb.png.c0bf0d9683778987e46a5da6ceac0135.png

Is poor and we see a return to more familar territory. Thankfully the ECM supports the operational instead. Next step to hold on to the cold can be achieved in two ways; either trough disruption (ECM) or a held back polar vortex over NE Canada (GFS).

ECM                                                          GFS operational
image.thumb.png.f2a0b304bd7796fbbfbf5f3221aad5dd.png image.thumb.png.2d65155e0abf783002fe4856432707d9.png

For good trough disruption cold air over the UK is a big help (as shown by this weekend) so we want to see as much cold pooling as possible on Thursday. The 06z GFS operational was actually very cold with sub zero maxima at times in central and northern areas but that was because of a snow event on Thursday. It will be difficult to get more snow on Thursday though there is still uncertainty about the incoming low.

Overall the 12z's lack the stronger cold later on and would probably result in a CET of around 4.0C by the 18th. They are ok though but the threat of a return to zonality is there later on. Lets hope the Scandi high builds or we get more trough disruption in around 10 days time!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 12z mean eventually becomes typically zonal (positive NAO) with low pressure to the nw  and high pressure to the sw / south with temperatures recovering closer to average and the most unsettled weather to the nw  with the best chance of fine spells towards the s / se.

• Like 2

Posted

Excellent EC tonight-'

yes the cold is going to break down wed - but i think we all accept that- however the NH profile looks tons better than the00z run -

Hopefully not an outlier with its pattern.

Good luck to all sunday- hope as many get some snow as possible!!

:)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
25 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The GEFS 12z mean eventually becomes typically zonal (positive NAO) with low pressure to the nw  and high pressure to the sw / south with temperatures recovering closer to average and the most unsettled weather to the nw  with the best chance of fine spells towards the s / se.

I guess the GEFS 12z mean could be wrong but it does tie in with the latest met office update mid range for a milder Atlantic driven phase with the northern arm of the jet flexing its muscles for a time..but I guess that's not what most on here want to hear..:)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Could we see another March 2013 style track shift of this slider low, this time further North back to Central Scotland???

Wishful and selfish thinking maybe, but I guess it could happen... :D:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold cold cold!!
5 minutes ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

Could we see another March 2013 style track shift of this slider low, this time further North back to Central Scotland???

Wishful and selfish thinking maybe, but I guess it could happen... :D:rofl:

Wishful thinking indeed ? can’t see all the models being incorrect at this late stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Overall a decent Extended EPS, not tremendous improvements but just steady, although not great with troughing S.Greenland, there is more defined scandi ridging into the pole, in fact the polar profile is excellent and also much better euro height profile with low anomaly strengthened considerably from last run.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Is that a beasterly i see in the far far far far far FI.. Like.. So far.

h850t850eu.png

Closer to now... Monday looks like fun still., 850's aint as cold as they really should be :(

h850t850eu.png

hgt500-1000.png

Yet it does still show good for the trailing edge to have a decent amount of snow for midlands south..

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofWine said:

Seeing as 330 million Twitter users have access to the link heres a chart from the ext eps...hoping I don't get found out first....

image.png

What the heck then, here's a better version, might as well have one with the actual heights superimposed over the anoms

eps_z500a_nh_360.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
14 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

What the heck then, here's a better version, might as well have one with the actual heights superimposed over the anoms

eps_z500a_nh_360.png

Almost perfect. Just the odd tweak needed here and there such as getting that nose of orange out of Spain and Portugal (preferably to the south and south west of the Azores) and also getting the Scandi ridge ever-so-slightly closer to Iceland and bingo! 

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1

Posted

Probably my favourite outcome so far, bringing heavy snowfall to many with the whole of East Anglia joining in on the act too! Unfortunately unlikely to happen but it's some lovely eye candy for some..

hirlamuk-1-44-0.png

hirlamuk-1-46-0.png

hirlamuk-1-48-0.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

The confidence of no snow south of M4 imo is way too high.  This is a volatile and cold set up we are in with further near time adjustments, changes to come.  Indeed snow accumulations that have happened already surprised many imo

I think Madden needs to do the lottery tomorrow.....I saw back in October he highlighted 7-10 of Dec as a disruptive snow period...no lie.

Models for me showing a further adjustment south..all to play for.  Also the Atlantic ridge for mid month, I think it will manifest in blocking being influential and no westerly flattening

BFTP

I hope this is sarcasm. The guy is a clown. He highlights every part of every winter for disruptive snow, without giving any specific detail, and then claims to be right every time there is snow over the Cairngorms. He's been 'forecasting' snow every week since October.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A cold start next week before the 850's recover to give a few milder days around midweek towards Friday temps drop again but not as cold as this current spell

NE England

graphe_ens3_php.thumb.png.da27d96ee1af192fe897833dc7c1e2a5.png

Scotland

scotland.thumb.png.6026a3f67cf79257113ebd7058f562f1.png

London

london.thumb.png.c28ba0bf3301de1427ff66cbdf5d5a9f.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Just now, MattStoke said:

I hope this is sarcasm. The guy is a clown. He highlights every part of every winter for disruptive snow, without giving any specific detail, and then claims to be right every time there is snow over the Cairngorms. He's been 'forecasting' snow every week since October.

Sarcasm re lottery.....but the dates were and are specific.  

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Sarcasm re lottery.....but the dates were and are specific.  

BFTP

Really specific when he says it's going to snow every blinking week and has been wrong every time up until now. Take a look at the dates he specifies. They cover the entire winter, with only small gaps of a few days between each period and the caveat that it will be 'in or around' those dates. The guy deserves no praise. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Just now, MattStoke said:

Really specific when he says it's going to snow every blinking week and has been wrong every time up until now. Take a look at the dates he specifies. They cover the entire winter, with only small gaps of a few days between each period and the caveat that it will be 'in or around' those dates. The guy deserves no praise. 

Enough on that now but he should do lottery tomorrow   :)

Agree with those re ECM looking good

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

Just as a matter of interest...is there a reason there isn't a winter model thread...strange were all posting in  a 'potential cold end to autumn thread' ? Come on mods

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Whilst scanning the BBC weather website found this interesting article regarding La Niña, I am sure I have read a bit regarding this in this thread, so hopefully of interest to others. Hopefully this is the right thread to post this in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/42251522

• Thanks 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofWine said:

Seeing as 330 million Twitter users have access to the link heres a chart from the ext eps...hoping I don't get found out first....

image.png

I can see the jet taking a more nw,se  route.

It's going to be a winter of unpredictability and short changes imho.

• Like 1