Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
12 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

ECM awful run apart from the midlands dumping, looking like whoever gets snow should make the most of it as chances look diminished for a good while after this.

I was thought it was ok from a cold point of view. Snow for parts today, heavy snow Midlands/North Sunday, possible snow event SE Monday (showing on ECM once again), slightly milder for south midweek, another cold plunge next Friday/Saturday. Beyond that, still looks like there might be a change but far too early to nail that one down.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

ECM definitely edging south with the initial slider

IMG_2959.thumb.PNG.b573f6190b7b613c18faf95f07b24fa5.PNG

Such a complex picture from this point onwards with the interaction of the trough to the east. 

Some places could see many many hours of snowfall initially from the slider then from the potential wrap around low!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Still fancy a nudge further south as we get closer. The Monday event also looking note and more tasty - somewhere is going to get a lot of snow.....12" I reckon.

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Gents, two completely different ideas hear of the same model, 

Not good for newbies, 

Feb91, look at the bigger picture, the Pacific ridge relocation, waxing And waning lobes of the vortex and ridges causes mayhem with the models, best to sit back and watch the models toy around for the next few days whilst they get to grip on a shift. 

I think we may get a 2/3 day more mobile pattern before deeper cold takes hold.

Sorry Sean, Feb is miserable because ecm has moved the snowline 20 miles south for Sunday and is commenting solely on ecm op to day 10 whilst I am commenting on the gefs to day 15. No problem with consistency there ...........

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

It's more like snow watch in here than the model output discussion:D..anyway, the Ecm 00z shows the coldest weather and the highest risk of snow is today and the weekend, the uppers become less cold next week with a hint of milder midweek and the run trends milder at the end:) 

240_thickuk.png

240_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Morning

Still seem to be on "slider" watch on here ,phew!!!.Anyway yes as ba alluded to regarding Gp musings the  nhp does show signs of movement in regard to the pv and pacific ridge ete.hopefully some interest showing up the nne regarding heigths building during the coming days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Sorry Sean, Feb is miserable because ecm has moved the snowline 20 miles south for Sunday and is commenting solely on ecm op to day 10 whilst I am commenting on the gefs to day 15. No problem with consistency there ...........

And backed up by the eps, as for the snow, I'm stil in it and ecm gives me 10 inches lying snow by the end of run (not that it will verify) but the hemispheric pattern worries me, ive heard all about these 'temporary blips' before wrt low pressure starting to dominate around S Greenland, they usually end up ruining the rest of winter.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Snow shield said:

I doubt the coasts would get those accumulations especially Wirral etc. Think Midlands and wales would do well from this set up imo 

With most of Wales population living in South Wales...still looks like we been more of a southern correction...just mostly mountains and sheep in Mid and North going to see some white stuff...apologies to any of my Welsh friends who actually live in these areas ?

Posted
12 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

And backed up by the eps, as for the snow, I'm stil in it and ecm gives me 10 inches lying snow by the end of run (not that it will verify) but the hemispheric pattern worries me, ive heard all about these 'temporary blips' before wrt low pressure starting to dominate around S Greenland, they usually end up ruining the rest of winter.

With no convincing signs of euro height rises we could see cool zonality as the transition but no doubt that the extended eps are rebuilding the pos PNA as per the gefs 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
29 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

It's more like snow watch in here than the model output discussion:D..anyway, the Ecm 00z shows the coldest weather and the highest risk of snow is today and the weekend, the uppers become less cold next week with a hint of milder midweek and the run trends milder at the end:) 

240_thickuk.png

240_mslp850.png

ECM has been very consistent with Sundays front.

Posted
41 minutes ago, Snow shield said:

I doubt the coasts would get those accumulations especially Wirral etc. Think Midlands and wales would do well from this set up imo 

Should those chart comparisons be the same (12z + 12z not 12z + 00z) can be confusing other wise :nea:

LO

Posted

Latest info on sunday for southern england it's a damp squib with temps around 6 or 7c, milder across the southwest, nearer 10c. Looking towards Christmas, the Gfs 00z shows a milder trend with the jet becoming aligned sw / ne.:)

00_276_uk2mtmp.png

00_276_mslp850.png

00_300_mslp850.png

00_300_uk2mtmp.png

00_348_uk2mtmp.png

00_372_uk2mtmp.png

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

ARPEGE on Sunday low

https://modeles7.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege/run/2017120800/arpegeeur-2-60.png?0

Fairly broad agreement across the models so far (may not stay that way obviously).

GEM seems furthest S, GFS furthest N with the likes of the ICON, ARPEGE taking the median track.

Not any more ;)

UKMO incl Fax charts much further south than GFS and the trend seems to be heading that way.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, shaky said:

Yes steve ecm much further south lol!!you could not make this up  lol!!low not as deep compared with the 96 hour chart from yesterday morning!!

Pretty predictable though tbh. I'm fairly confident this will be the trend. This is a seriously cold airmass and the low isn't particularly intense. I think the low will continue to be moved south.

• Like 3

Posted

Just looking at the Gfs 00z, it's not cold enough in the south for snow on sunday but it is on monday..and the north / south snow line is still flip flopping so best not take the gfs as gospel.:) 

00_63_uk2mtmp.png

00_60_preciptype.png

00_60_ukthickness850.png

00_87_uk2mtmp.png

00_90_preciptype.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
11 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Just looking at the Gfs 00z, it's not cold enough in the south for snow on sunday but it is on monday..and the north / south snow line is still flip flopping so best not take the gfs as gospel.:) 

00_63_uk2mtmp.png

00_60_preciptype.png

00_60_ukthickness850.png

00_87_uk2mtmp.png

00_90_preciptype.png

That looks more promising than previous post frosty

was wondering if Sunday’s event would help bring temps down for further attempts as we go forward into next week.

surely lying snow in the centre of the country will help with temps as it’s blown further down.

• Like 3

Posted

Is it just me, or does the EURO4 have the low even further south than the ECM at +48? When comparing both, EURO4 definitely looks a little further south. What are your thoughts?

• Like 2