Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

Thanks for the insight, Nick. It’s really useful and makes this situation all the more interesting!

its worth remembering that this 'slider' which is modelled to be quite complicated, therefore difficult to predict details, even for the professionals, doesn't even exist yet....

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Extended EPS mean does paint an increasingly mobile / zonal picture out to day 15, as the Euro trough de-amplifies and heights rise toward SW Europe as the trop PV over eastern N America expands east over NW Atlantic. The signal for height rises to the NE rather faint too. As I mentioned earlier this afternoon, the flattening of the +PNA ridge is creating deamplification of the H500 flow downstream and allowing low heights to spread east out of Canada and more jet energy to flow and de-amplify the flow across the N Atlantic.

This from the CPC prognostic discussion today:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/fxus06.html

However, the extend ens means are prone to change and the 12z GEFS mean indicates H500 mean ridging over Norwegian Sea and Svalbard, so there is still chance yet of this height rises to the NE scenario unfolding in the run up to Xmas.

gefs_z500a_nh_57.thumb.png.a4ee27ef67e9ab024b5d6d5bc432aaa9.png

Anyway, lets enjoy the cold and snow prospects on offer the next 4 days and hopefully, in the meantime, the medium-longer term outlook will improve from EC/EPS over next few days.

Well as someone said, that's a dramatic shift from what everyone was saying this time last night. 

But on the plus side we've still got GP's and Tamara'a background signals which are apparently very good if you are of the cold persuasion. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

00z run 

Yeah read that after, but anaysis still stands. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

18z a little north at T48 with precipitation and jet - will this manifest with a more northerly snow line on Sunday? 

As expected if so. I haven't seen it but 06/18z have been further north than 00/12z of late

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

18z a little north at T48 with precipitation and jet - will this manifest with a more northerly snow line on Sunday? 

Yes but it pivots a smidgeon too

gfs-2-66.png?18

gfs-2-66.png?18

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The jet was a bit more amplified upstream but the issue is the phasing with that trough. I can't remember the last time I saw this type of slider set up that was so complicated.

Posted

North Wales area looking at getting 30+ hours of non stop snow based on the 18z. The hills are going to be buried.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
3 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

North Wales area looking at getting 30+ hours of non stop snow based on the 18z. The hills are going to be buried.

I would say Southern pennines too.

Posted

18z certainly holding steady for the North West. Manchester is always terrible for snow and has been wavering all week, but looking pretty solid - I use the PPN maps as a guide to the conditions being right for snow rather than location which will still probably change - even then, its normally touch and go

Just had a huge crack of thunder in South Manchester too

18_9_preciptype.thumb.png.17cbed61cfbcc9e858683ecb84046bfa.png

18_63_preciptype.thumb.png.32616616ecc1323275a55cc069c36951.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stephen_Mcr said:

18z certainly holding steady for the North West. Manchester is always terrible for snow and has been wavering all week, but looking pretty solid - I use the PPN maps as a guide to the conditions being right for snow rather than location which will still probably change - even then, its normally touch and go

Just had a huge crack of thunder in South Manchester too

18_9_preciptype.thumb.png.17cbed61cfbcc9e858683ecb84046bfa.png

18_63_preciptype.thumb.png.32616616ecc1323275a55cc069c36951.png

Quite a bit further North. Most of the Midlands missing out based on this run.

Posted

At this rate it’s going to be a North Wales/Cheshire/Lancs/Yorks event on Sunday.

What drama!

• Like 3

Posted

Quite amazing to see what happens with the low at phase point, you can see the track more se at T48hrs and T54hrs then phase happens with the trough to the east at T60hrs and you get that shift eastwards the low centre deepens slightly to 970 which edges this ne causing the pivot then the shortwave to the sw runs se causing a south push to the sw and like those weighing scales you get a push north towards the east of the UK.

For that reason its the areas towards the nw which get into the cold are just far enough west so that the pivot towards the east still keeps that area in the cold.

I know I'm making this sound very complicated but it really is!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 18z shows persistent heavy snow for some areas on sunday which would make for a very snowy drive to work next monday..potentially severe weather on the way for somewhere across the central swathe of the uk..plenty of snow showers piling into western and northern areas before then with sharp frosts, especially over the snow fields..hope I get to say that plenty more times this winter!!:santa-emoji::cold-emoji:

18_60_preciptype.png

18_63_preciptype.png

18_66_preciptype.png

18_69_uk2mtmp.png

18_84_preciptype.png

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Southender said:

At this rate it’s going to be a North Wales/Cheshire/Lancs/Yorks event on Sunday.

What drama!

Don't think it's a done deal yet, will probably correct south again in the morning...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

The rate this is moving north don’t bode well for the cold to sweep down the uk

surely we need south corrections 

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The NWP has a habit of tending to overreact to a zonal signal in situations like we could see unfold later this month. 

It could well be one of those situations where something tends to pop up out of the blue at the day 7/8 range, rather than ticking down from 10 days + This especially tends to be the case with Scandinavian height rises.

Good point Crewe. I have also noticed this over the years. It always happens during the more classic winters. Here's hoping. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Lots to talk about these coming days .

I'm struggling to load up the 18z gfs.

I keep getting intermittent power cuts with the strong winds here.

I've got as far as T+126 hrs.

Is it still looking potentially cold beyond that.

Sorry to be a nuisance. 

• Like 2