Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
4 hours ago, bobbydog said:

right... i'm feeling a bit 'down' tonight, nothing to do with the weather, no particular reason really, not like me to feel down but i just do.

however, the output points to many areas having some serious snowfall, more than we've had for a good few years. personally, my area probably won't see much if any (yet...) but some will have a snowfest! if you dont get any now, its nobody's fault, thats how it goes- but let those who do get some, enjoy it.

Well said!I was busy bemoaning my measly 2 cm when I saw your post. It made me stop and think. No matter what any of us gets, we will get weather. Hope you feel better soon.

• Thanks 1

Posted

0z looks to have Sunday's low a touch further south than the 18z.

Snow from about the Midlands northwards. Perhaps turning to rain for a time across the South Midlands. Rain turning back to snow here and across parts of the south as the system clears.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
5 hours ago, s4lancia said:

An hour and half later and finally caught up! Exhausting work all this...

Safe to say today has been a very good news day in terms of the chances of this becoming a memorable cold spell. Both snow-wise and in duration. 

A absolutely fantastic post earlier by Tamara as well earlier on. Intriguing stuff!

Also, I really don't think some people have any concept quite HOW little snow places like where I live get. We will go, quite literally, for years on end without seeing a single flake floating in the air. There is no such this as a poor snowfall down here. ANY fall of snow is good! ? Waking up to a dusting, the ones where you still aren't sure if it isn't just a heavy frost, is equivalent to 6 inches settling in low lying Birmingham. The good news with this however, expectations are always rock bottom, so when it does happen it just makes it that much better ? 

That said, with the atmospheric state as it currently is, even I would be surprised, and a tad gutted, if I didn't get a good dumping at some point this winter ❄️ 

Couldn't,t agree more S4L. I don,t think people realise that down here in the environs of South Dorset that we went for 20 years or more without a county wide dumping of snow from 1987. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold cold cold!!

By the looks ok it ‘the slider’ is further south according to the 0z UKMO.

Also, 850’s are pretty reasonable as well!!!

Good event somewhere Sunday. Midlands looks top(ish) spot for now anyway.

Edited by mother nature rocks
  • Like 1

Posted

ECM appears to develop another deep low close to SW England late Sunday/early Monday.

A2EF8B2C-02F3-4A11-A501-0B0061353E1B.gif

Edited by MattStoke

Posted

Considering the time of year the uppers are very dissappointing, patterns and sypnotics aside it's a real shame there's no really cold air on tap it's a real struggle after the initial pulse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
10 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ECM appears to develop another deep low close to SW England late Sunday/early Monday.

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/5729/ECM1-96_wft3.GIF

I think as the low pressure looks to have two or even three waves to it as the first wave passes through Sunday we have the second part (stronger?) Deepen rapidly and become cut off from the other shallow feature from Sunday, uppers about-3 ahead of the second low so entrenched cold will be critical, and any snow cover will really help keep the temps suppressed, just hope it doesn't deepen that much as the wind will prevent evaporative cooling and again that will be critical to snow/rain 

On a side not I just don't buy the progression from hemispheric point of view from t96-120, loose the heights to our north and rapidly deepen heights towards Greenland, but fun to watch, think once that low pressure spawns off Greenland we will see rapid heights build behind 

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast

Posted
11 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ECM snow accumulation to the end on Sunday. Similar to the GFS, a touch further south on this run.

C00CB414-3BB5-4791-B352-A9FD8ECE369B.jpeg

Looking good for the Midlands, Central Wales north sees a lot of snow. 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Looking good for the Midlands, Central Wales north sees a lot of snow. 

Thats 14cms of snow for the midlanda!!wow!!aint seen that since january 2013!!

Posted
3 minutes ago, shaky said:

Thats 14cms of snow for the midlanda!!wow!!aint seen that since january 2013!!

Looks brill shaky!!

Your area wants the track pretty much as EC 0z has it- 

Sounds ridic with all this fun near term but have to say the 00z runs look to have upped the northern jet quite a lot - definite shift towards the Atlantic coming in wed :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
1 hour ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Couldn't,t agree more S4L. I don,t think people realise that down here in the environs of South Dorset that we went for 20 years or more without a county wide dumping of snow from 1987. 

1994 was pretty good for snow I was sledging on the coastal hills of purbeck!

Looking at the models I don't think much sledging south of Wiltshire is on the menu come sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ecm must be male as it always overstates the number of inches that you'll actually see ....................

:oops:

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ecm must be male as it always overstates the number of inches that you'll actually see ....................

There has been quite an unfortunate shift in the overnight runs mid term blue (yes i know theres a lot going on in the next 4 or 5 days)

GFS/EC making much more of the northern arm of the jet- 

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

It's inches :)

I think he knows that, all he has done is a conversion? Shows ~15cm of snow for quite a swathe of the Midlands. 

• Like 1

Posted

Terrific ECM - wow. UKMO is okay. GFS not so good in FI but the ensembles are encouraging:

5a28e7f56cee1_ScreenShot2017-12-07at07_02_43.thumb.png.a14cc5196b644611b764cac290376e26.png

In the short term, the ECM has the low much further south than the GFS. Form would tend to suggest the ECM is right, not because it's in any way a better model but because lows at that trajectory buffeting against an arctic airmass tend to get pushed further south nearer the event. The risk is actually for it to miss the UK altogether. The secondary development on Monday sees the low galvanising across Paris.

Somewhere is going to be in for an absolute pasting from this on Sunday / Monday. My money would be on southern England but the GFS may be correct with the Midlands northwards getting a hammering. It may turn to rain for a time down south before probably turning back to snow.

Fun and games :)

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

I think he knows that, all he has done is a conversion? Shows ~15cm of snow for quite a swathe of the Midlands. 

It shows 15 inches, in the most affected areas.

• Like 2