Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
15 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

No, the numbers are in the legend:

ECM 0.924

UKMO 0.905

JMA 0.903

GFS 0.892

CMC (=GEM) 0.890

Well if the JMA is doing that well then it's worth looking at it:

JN192-21.GIF?06-12

Looks like it's attempting a split through Greenland up to the North Pole again at D8.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
16 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

This would be the exception rather than the rule though Nick. Pretty exceptional Synoptics are bringing this. In general winter, cold eastern US =  usually a strong jet heading straight for the uk. In all my years on here, this is the most incredible November into December and probably the new year model watching I’ve witnessed.

one question, when the hell am I going to get any sleep ?

Actually Karlos that is not really correct it depends as now on the amplitude of the pattern. If the cold air coming out of the states is pushed north over the western Atlantic by a mid Atlantic ridge then it is warmed and fed north as WAA in to the polar regions reinforcing the attacks on the polar vortex and helping to sustain a cold pattern here. It happened inquite a few of the 70,s and 80,s snowy winters .  

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

BREAKING NEWS!!! :cold-emoji:

The UKMO and GEM discounted from the NOAA US forecast,  outlier solutions this in the run up to the UK slider. A blend of the GFS/ECM solutions preferred.

A good blend?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

So a look at all the models at 96 hrs and there is lot of agreement on the track of this slider low,the gfs op and control slightly further SW

UN96-21.GIF?06-17gemnh-0-96.png?12navgemnh-0-96.png?06-18JN96-21.GIF?06-12ECH1-96.GIF?06-0gensnh-0-1-96.png?12gfsnh-0-96.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM might be a bit marginal for parts of the south on Sunday for snow

96_thickuk.thumb.png.8e233c821c9926174784a9598c5049b0.png

Bitter up to Saturday

72_thickuk.thumb.png.7717ebe6e593b3e22972ff653ea374d8.png

Getting colder again Monday in the south

120_thickuk.thumb.png.7421f449ba59971731fafc6429b660ba.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
12 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Actually Karlos that is not really correct it depends as now on the amplitude of the pattern. If the cold air coming out of the states is pushed north over the western Atlantic by a mid Atlantic ridge then it is warmed and fed north as WAA in to the polar regions reinforcing the attacks on the polar vortex and helping to sustain a cold pattern here. It happened inquite a few of the 70,s and 80,s snowy winters .  

Hmmm 70’s and 80’s winters do tend to be a thing of the past, but we will send this thread well OT, best we don’t go there lol, plus i only arrived in 83 ☹️.

certainly in recent years, east coast cold and strong PV (again usual winter) equals strong jet.

• Like 1

Posted

It will be worth banging on for the next few days how MARGINAL the snow area will be. Little things like intensity of precipitation will make an accurate forecast of snow impossible until the T6, unless you have a bit of elevation, or if the snow band affects the northern powerhouse. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Britneyfan said:

Huh

They prefer the ECM and GFS blended for the upstream pattern in the USA which is better because the UKMO and GEM aren't as good for the UK slider low.

Theres also the issue of pressure rises near Iceland which NOAA wouldn't cover but the UKMO because it runs a deep low into the PV sends more energy eastwards and the second possible slider is too far east.

In the medium term however the UKMO does re-amplify the upstream pattern so not all bad news from it.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

It will be worth banging on for the next few days how MARGINAL the snow area will be. Little things like intensity of precipitation will make an accurate forecast of snow impossible until the T6, unless you have a bit of elevation, or if the snow band affects the northern powerhouse. 

TBH i dont think we will know the exact track of the low until friday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

TBH i dont think we will know the exact track of the low until friday.

Im not sure about that. We will see the low sliding or not on Saturday, so will be worth checking back to previous runs.

obviously the track might move north or south by 50 Miles or so on approach, but the envelope won’t be very big by the time we get to Saturday morning.

Generally I think this will be resolved by Friday 12z latest. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

YR.NO for my location (NE Wales) has just updated following the 12z, and it shows not a snowflake for the next 10 days. I thought YR was usually just a straigh take from ECM, but am I mistaken, given the 12z output I have just looked through?

Posted
5 minutes ago, shaky said:

Can anyone post anymore of those snow charts but the ensemble ones from the ecm!!get a better idea of where this slider will most probably slide!!

Again a trawl through the individual EPS members looks pretty similar to the 0z, with the median position for snow still being primarily Wales into the Midlands (and some of Lancs/Yorks too) - some then take this across towards EA/Lincs, others run this slightly further SE into London, Surrey, Sussex and Kent.

That is very much a median - some have it much further North/South, but for me from the EPS at least the mean position still places the bulk of any snowfall between the M4 and the M62

Edited by snowking
  • Like 5

Posted
20 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Wow...

Do not think I have ever seen the largest chunk of the PV sat over the MIdlands before.

Welcome sir,  you are very welcome!

I think I will die a happy man if this happens:bomb::cold::bomb:

Midlands Ice Age

In practical terms what would this give?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, in the vale said:

YR.NO for my location (NE Wales) has just updated following the 12z, and it shows not a snowflake for the next 10 days. I thought YR was usually just a straigh take from ECM, but am I mistaken, given the 12z output I have just looked through?

You get hammered with the showers and then hammered on the sunday again on ECM - around 10 inches of lying snow by this time sunday.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

First episode of Troughwatch of the season - focusing on Friday 00z:

T+60:

20171205_1757.PPVJ89.thumb.png.d1405c18d2108c8ce278cf8dba9465e2.png

T+48:

20171206_0505.PPVI89.thumb.png.a3a0ef45b720fc942e67c2506a822168.png

T+36:

20171206_1730.PPVG89.thumb.png.9f4702aaab5accb0e19b40509be384c8.png

Analysis: The overnight trough pushing south over inland areas has survived 3 fax charts, two more to go.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

You get hammered with the showers and then hammered on the sunday again on ECM - around 10 inches of lying snow by this time sunday.

That's what I read from the charts but yr.no shows nothing. Odd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, in the vale said:

That's what I read from the charts but yr.no shows nothing. Odd.

Out of a 50 member suite, every single one gives you some sort of snow, the vast majority give you a moderate to heavy fall and some a severe fall.

• Like 1