Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
1 hour ago, shaky said:

Theres the ever slight shift southwards of the higher accumulations!!wouldnt it be funny if it missed wales and the south west got it instead lol??

It would be a bleeding miracle.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Ext eps this morning are somewhat disappointing, totally different at the end of the run, showing a return to mild south westerly winds - expect a sharp rise at the end of the London graph.

How far ahead is that Feb, by ext do you mean past 15 days? The De Bilt shows a large spread developing from around the 20th. But theres still quite a few colder solutions.  I really wouldn't worry about it , at that range they can easily flip between runs.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Bit of a downgrade overnight for Sunday's potential snow event for some but an upgrade for others with Wales and east into Herefordshire and the west Midlands doing much better

12z Yesterday                                                00z today

126-780UK.thumb.GIF.5e51f3d32091b427fcc35be0e06d975c.GIF114-780UK.thumb.GIF.9cdf72b1c8d023769b43c06bf165cc4b.GIF

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

How far ahead is that Feb, by ext do you mean past 15 days? The De Bilt shows a large spread developing from around the 20th. But theres still quite a few colder solutions.  I really wouldn't worry about it , at that range they can easily flip between runs.

At the end - 13-15, the Eastern US trough pushes into th Atlantic and the azores high moves into town and ends the run with a +ve anomaly over Spain into France and warm uppers over UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Bit of a downgrade overnight for Sunday's potential snow event for some but an upgrade for others with Wales and east into England doing much better

126-780UK.thumb.GIF.5e51f3d32091b427fcc35be0e06d975c.GIF114-780UK.thumb.GIF.9cdf72b1c8d023769b43c06bf165cc4b.GIF

It shows a much lengthier event than just Sunday.

138-780UK_wsr0.GIF

• Like 4

Posted

For those wanting to talk snow potential / snow amounts for their part of the country without any context around the model output, please head to the regional threads. 

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

This thread is for model discussion only, too many people are posting whatever they fancy in here just because it is busy. Those continually doing this need to stop or you risk being among the first in the  list of people to be stopped from posting in here this winter. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

At the end - 13-15, the Eastern US trough pushes into th Atlantic and the azores high moves into town and ends the run with a +ve anomaly over Spain into France and warm uppers over UK.

Day 13 is an awfully long way out, I wouldn't don't take one set of extended ensembles as a fait accompli.

If its still there in a few runs then that would be disappointing but I've seen the ensembles make marked shifts between runs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Day 13 is an awfully long way out, I wouldn't don't take one set of extended ensembles as a fait accompli.

If its still there in a few runs then that would be disappointing but I've seen the ensembles make marked shifts between runs.

Yes - this run!!

Posted
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Indeed, last night's set was different and I would wager we will see something different on tonight's set.  Time will tell as ever!

Posted
1 minute ago, mulzy said:

Indeed, last night's set was different and I would wager we will see something different on tonight's set.  Time will tell as ever!

Strange as the day 10 mean looks excellent- UK under the influence of cold scandy trough- as it generally will be for the next week to 10 days (after tomorrow).

Anyway- we got a week or so of exciting weather to look forward to- initially tomorrow night across the NW Britain and then a few bitterly cold days and a potentially significant snow event sunday.

Foe me its come at the best time of the year too- :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
38 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Ext eps this morning are somewhat disappointing, totally different at the end of the run, showing a return to mild south westerly winds - expect a sharp rise at the end of the London graph.

Still has heights to our north east and neg anomoly centred around northern Italy at day 13 though feb, cant read too much into them but poss battle ground scenario? 

Edited by Nicholas B

Posted
39 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It was only last night that we were being informed of exactly the opposite ! A few hours is a long time in weather.

Posted

Could someone give me a link to where the ECMWF chart which normally sits on the left of the link below is available please?

many thanks

Along with the NOAA link below it both suggest some degree of meridional flow with quite low contour heights over the UK for the 6-10 day period.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Bit of a downgrade overnight for Sunday's potential snow event for some but an upgrade for others with Wales and east into Herefordshire and the west Midlands doing much better

It will be interesting as to where the 06z has the precip falling, I'm thinking it may move slightly north again - no more than a hunch. Either way, I think the weekend is going to be very busy on here, as with the next few days no doubt.  Over 100 online at 0900 tells you something is a foot, I'm sure by Sun this will multiply a few times!!  

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 05/12/2017 at 01:07, BlackburnChris said:

Polar lows will form in the here and now in a polar flow...not the result of a gfs model run

Exactly what I ment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

looks like corrections south west appearing on the 06z GFS :shok:

gfsnh-0-84.thumb.png.a0139de843f903dbc3ae77a5b66481bd.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Better heights getting north late Saturday on this run. Further correction south likely here. 

Posted

Looks like the low is going to head further to the southwest and dive towards Biscay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Scottish Coldie's worst nightmare happening on the 06z, another shift SW... :nonono:

• Like 1