Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Are we still thinking thunder snow may be a possibility on Thursday with the temperature drop? 

Posted
16 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

BBC saying staying cold in to next week  with  further snow ..IMG_0006.thumb.PNG.e9dcc7551b44bbde6fa730b51c011b89.PNGimageproxy.php?img=&key=d8af95ed7f22db9eimageproxy.php?img=&key=d8af95ed7f22db9e

IMG_0002.PNG

I hope he is right but unfortunately that does not mean a great deal. I am quite sure you yourself may have seen a snowy picture at the start of a bbc weather bulletin with the wording snow on the way tomorrow and yet when he gets into the forecast the only places likely to see snow were the Scottish highlands. Talk about misleading.

Anyway still holding out a slim hope of the slider Sunday into Monday may take a more favourable path for those of us down south and also the possibility of seeing a few flakes during Friday into Saturday. If the GFS is to be believed then it shows it is still possible to get potent northerlies even so early into the season.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Blue which was better rgding snowfall distribution? 

For the initial feature, definitely today whilst by day 9, today's is just better. If I was living north of Birmingham away from the twenty miles by the coast, I would be getting very interested. the area around Buxton looks to be close to 9 inches by the end of Monday although this is probably overstated as per nicks posts earlier 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

If the gfs 18z shows snow to the south can we southerners please all bang on about for hours on end. Thanks in advance :p

Not that I’m bitter or anything  :nonono:

You will be....

We all will be :cold::D

5 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Incidentally - while we await the next run - EC monthly has a sustained signal for -AO and a jet firing south underneath heights to our north. This right out to January. Greenland positive anomaly continues plus a build up of heights in northern Russia. Has a very Murr sausage look about it..... :-)

grange-hill-sausage.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
5 minutes ago, weirpig said:

gfs going off on one  Cheshire streamer hitting Calais 

Well, the 12z had a Cheshire Gap streamer reaching West of London, just a little bit further SE this time!

52CFEA6D-42ED-4FE2-A100-BFFBAD5CC8B8.thumb.png.1b32602882345cf483bc7ed35d4d0e6a.png

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

-10 850s hitting east Anglia in 66hrs brrrr

gfs-1-66.png

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Am I in some kind of parallel universe or what? We'd have given our right arms for charts like this last winter. And the winter before. And the winter before. 

Theae charts are being turned out regularly. It's brilliant to watch. 

IMG_8481.PNG

We had plenty of nice charts last year but when they got to 120-144h they always got downgraded to meh

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
10 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Incidentally - while we await the next run - EC monthly has a sustained signal for -AO and a jet firing south underneath heights to our north. This right out to January. Greenland positive anomaly continues plus a build up of heights in northern Russia. Has a very Murr sausage look about it..... :-)

Trying to remember what it showed a month ago for now...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Early doors the ridging ahead of the proposed slider is better. This should hopefully result in a more southerly track. Not enough for me I wouldn’t imagine, but that’s life. I’ll get over it. Eventually :whistling:

C6FF1D9D-838E-4807-A4AB-3B27304B50DF.thumb.png.8095fc2f763e4b6e884f11001f9073c4.png

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

This looks a bit different with the shortwave break away earlier, could be interesting! Looks like a sw correction coming up with a slightly better upstream profile.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

get any slider under that jet... 

and its rapid snow conversion.. 

850s playing ball almost countrywide!!!

18z off to a cracker!!!..

this slider going more southerly??!!

gfs-5-90.png

gfs-1-90.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Is this more of a northerly? Or is it just wishful thinking?:D

h850t850eu.png

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Ed Stone said:

Is this more of a northerly? Or is it just wishful thinking?:D

h850t850eu.png

Hopefully just wishful thinking Ed

Posted

Over the past couple of days I've said keep an eye on developments to our NE, as there is a good chance as we move through the middle of the month that heights will build here thanks to another amplification of azores high towards Greenland later next week, with a deep trough sinking down through Scandi. Signs of this being shown in GFS model today.

My taking on things, an arctic blast Fri-Sat, a slider low on Sunday, slightly milder conditions early-mid next week, more so in the south, with the north holding onto the cold air and therefore chance of more snow here, then the azores high ridging north again thanks to a deeper trough moving SE through UK middle of next week, this then allows height rises to our NE to begin to nose SW, and a link up of heights to our north as we enter the week leading up to christmas.

A predominantly cold outlook for the north, with a temporary milder phase for the south lasting about 4 days (12-15th).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1