Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

Agreement by the models to flatten out the upper flow over the N Atlantic and lengthen the wave lengths late weekend and early next week in response to deamplification of the upper trough over eastern N America, hence the shift of low heights eastwards from the tropospheric PV over Canada across Greenland and merging with low heights over Scandinavia.

However, recent operational runs and ensembles indicating re-amplification mid week of the trough over eastern N America, which teleconnects to amplification of a ridge over N Atlantic again later in the week. With potential for a Nly reload from the arctic.

Looking further ahead, EPS H5 mean suggesting ridging NE towards Scandinavia day 14?

76E4F30F-D89C-426F-A4B9-5D5EB9B46920.thumb.png.76ce08e95283cb5987f91f3398896c25.png

Perhaps more importantly no sign whatsoever of a euro high there nick- looks good.

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC mean 120-

EDM1-120.GIF?05-0

Hmm a really slidey mean at 120 hours!!does that mean some ensemble members take the slider further south and west still?

Posted
Just now, shaky said:

Hmm a really slidey mean at 120 hours!!does that mean some ensemble members take the slider further south and west still?

Yes the mean is further south with the low..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
3 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Agreement by the models to flatten out the upper flow over the N Atlantic and lengthen the wave lengths late weekend and early next week in response to deamplification of the upper trough over eastern N America, hence the shift of low heights eastwards from the tropospheric PV over Canada across Greenland and merging with low heights over Scandinavia.

However, recent operational runs and ensembles indicating re-amplification mid week of the trough over eastern N America, which teleconnects to amplification of a ridge over N Atlantic again later in the week. With potential for a Nly reload from the arctic.

Looking further ahead, EPS H5 mean suggesting ridging NE towards Scandinavia day 14?

76E4F30F-D89C-426F-A4B9-5D5EB9B46920.thumb.png.76ce08e95283cb5987f91f3398896c25.png

Can someone translate this into Numpty talk for me please??? lol

Posted
30 minutes ago, Nicholas B said:

Haha! I think most regions have there own variations too. Like here in Lancashire its the m6 corridor, anything west of it is rain, sure the south east, north east, midlands, south west, wales & scotland all have them. Pop up on Sunday..ill show you what i mean lol! Sunday is going to shift we are only on Tuesday...which way is to be decided. Think BA is right in that by tomorrow tea we should have a decent though not fixed idea ?

I'm glad its not just restricted to us Southerners! :D

I personally think its a few days off be nailed still, such shifts are still ongoing!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I see no reason to be downbeat post arctic shot, still looks on the cold side and cyclonic generally with some days colder than others, cold enough for sleet and snow, especially on higher ground and frosts / ice at night..potential for further more pronounced wintry outbreaks with the jet aligned nw / se.:)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
7 minutes ago, Ukwoody said:

Stop looking North West and start looking North East :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
10 minutes ago, Ukwoody said:

Northerly reload mid month with potential Scandinavia HP in 2 weeks time....easterlies?

back to more bullish post....reload to northerlies mid month due to Atlantic ridge....a given for me

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

it's all about locale i guess. I can understand why those in the SE are feeling downbeat but it could all still change.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CanadaAl said:

it's all about locale i guess. I can understand why those in the SE are feeling downbeat but it could all still change.

I ain’t, it’s going to be very cold and not the 6c MetO/ BBC day......it didn’t get above 7c here today....so no chance will it be 6c

BFTP

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

I don't think this a done deal yet with rain sleet and snow Sunday in to Monday history tells me the  whole lot could be pushed south and west we'll see how in all pans out next  couple days .   Before then we a Wintery weekend to come .

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening All, so can we see a Bartlett or Euro high from the ops today?  Its not on the scene and even the Azores high as no influence by day ten. Great news for coldies  but the devil will be in the detail ,and how many times have I said that?:rofl: I think the Northeast of the uk will see proper winter in the days ahead , but plenty of time for all of us to enjoy winter....after all we are only on the cusp of Winter ,not the end of it....enjoy the ride folks:cold:Remember it does not have to be that cold to snow:yahoo:

piano.png

PIANOX.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
8 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Northerly reload mid month with potential Scandinavia HP in 2 weeks time....easterlies?

back to more bullish post....reload to northerlies mid month due to Atlantic ridge....a given for me

BFTP

Just out of interest, when was the last time we had a sustained ridge over Scandinavia in December giving us easterly winds ? 

Isn’t it normally late Jan/feb when we would expect to see the beast ? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

With early yellow warnings for snow / ice already issued for quite a large swathe of the uk and set to be upgraded during the next few days..some of us are in for fun and games!..not often we see an arctic blast modelled in the reliable timeframe..going to enjoy watching it unfold.:D

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Sliders" can be challenging, especially for strong, stable and high pressureve. Conversely, as a slider, the lower flow in the north moves to high pressure. Many examples, including the least weight, low type, and so on. That does not mean that high blood pressure can increase, but the design of "W-E" lines!  (not like "e-w control").

Posted
2 minutes ago, shotski said:

Just out of interest, when was the last time we had a sustained ridge over Scandinavia in December giving us easterly winds ? 

Yep but just translating what is possibly suggested.  However Jan 1987 was from the 7th Jan with one of the most potent easterlies witnessed by anyone on here.  Nothing is written in stone as we all know

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, shotski said:

'97 was good here, angle of attack was from SW, much better angle for snow

archives-1997-12-16-0-0.pngarchives-1997-12-17-12-0.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

With early yellow warnings for snow / ice already issued for quite a large swathe of the uk and set to be upgraded during the next few days..some of us are in for fun and games!..not often we see an arctic blast modelled in the reliable timeframe..going to enjoy watching it unfold.:D

I think the last one I can remember was during the run-up to Xmas 1962? I even 'think' I can remember the late, great Michael Hunt saying that the sea started to freeze at Cromer, on Xmas eve...?:D

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Me to frosty, looking forward to nowcasting and tracking the radar.

Being north and west (outside Belfast) we could do quite well in some of the heavier showers......i personally would be happy with a covering to make it feel somewhat festive this year.

Lets get the cold in and see where we go from there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

'97 was good here, angle of attack was from SW, much better angle for snow

archives-1997-12-16-0-0.pngarchives-1997-12-17-12-0.png

That didn't sustain though. The pattern soon collapsed after that. But on the face of it, you'd think that would have been the precursor of a great winter. An almost-perfectly aligned Scandi High that looks robust. Just goes to show that the flimsiest of highs can drive a pattern south while a strong-looking high can collapse quickly. It turned out an exceptionally mild winter, of course, especially in the new year and that ridiculously warm February

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
3 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Disappear might be a bit strong 

2DF0B83F-8FB9-48BE-B544-C9323A2508C1.thumb.png.35ea0e7061c44a14ca33d5058bec37cb.png

Some perspective 

978F148F-C8C6-4DBF-9DF6-7CBEEE6CCF83.thumb.gif.985b646ebd91853c3a6e16d6cd4df0c4.gif

Thats Sixteen days off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
1 hour ago, Draig Goch said:

So many on here are saying the best chance of snow will be anywhere north of the M4. Luckily for me, I live 1 mile north of the M4 in South Wales but for those that live a couple of miles south of the M4, take a stroll over the footbridges and come join us in our magical winter wonderland when it arrives! 

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Marginal event for many in the south but we will always have lamp posts so not all lost, could always change make the most of it . GFS 18z could be a corker. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e27b48e596950307321cf6d4ea715320.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
3 hours ago, Day 10 said:

I have placed this in the media thread also so please remove mods if you have to. I just thought it was a good read and is relevant right now :good:

https://www.channel4.com/news/by/liam-dutton/blogs/why-you-shouldnt-believe-a-uk-snow-forecast-more-than-three-days-ahead

BEST POST OF THE YEAR!!! F1 charts forget 

and hjoae

3 day's out even two days ! I want snow as much as the next man but it is extremely frustrating and countless times charts predict snow only to downgrade but so rare the other way round.