Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
24 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Steve M isn’t getting excited so that tells me enough :)

I love Steve Murr’s posts, analysis etc, but to be fair even when he does get excited, 9 times out of 10 things still go wrong for coldies.

ukm2.2017121212.168.lant.troplant.prp.fcst.gentracker.png

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

To add a further perspective, the last frame of the 15z UKV goes out to +120 (Sunday 15:00) has it rain even on the leading edge south of Manchester.

That's a quality model isn't it as well?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
1 minute ago, Dean E said:

I swear if I hear that 'North of the M4' again, i'll move to Alaska!

ECM joins the GFS with the uncertainties in my opinion, this is a very fluid (or solid) situation which needs more days and possible could be down to the 'nowcasting' time frame with this type of setup.

Haha! I think most regions have there own variations too. Like here in Lancashire its the m6 corridor, anything west of it is rain, sure the south east, north east, midlands, south west, wales & scotland all have them. Pop up on Sunday..ill show you what i mean lol! Sunday is going to shift we are only on Tuesday...which way is to be decided. Think BA is right in that by tomorrow tea we should have a decent though not fixed idea ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That's a quality model isn't it as well?

Well it's ridiculously high resolution (1.5km, Euro4 is 4km for example) but that doesn't necessarily mean accuracy :D 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Why are people so fascinated about Sunday and after? What about the cold few days before hand? Just enjoy them and then see where we stand come Saturday, after all it’s only Tuesday so things will change probably quite a lot before the BIG day!! Relax a tad

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Well it's ridiculously high resolution (1.5km, Euro4 is 4km for example) but that doesn't necessarily mean accuracy :D 

Yes I was looking on this on the modelling page on the UKMO website, trying to work out which part of the location forecasts, weather maps, BBC Graphics etc are generated by which models, there's another one as well that's in the development stage, I wonder if that's the one that the £97m is being invested in or not.

Posted

I think the main rule of thumb for this slider set up is that the further North and East you are within the main PPN band, the more likely it will be snow but positioning is crucial and so is the angle the trough comes in at also, you really don't want too see too much mild air coming into play thats for sure. A lot of posts mentioned they are expecting too see a westwards movement because of history but history means nothing too me. The trend(in my opinion) has been for the slider to occur further East which increases the anxiety as it means even less room for error but details is not going to be nailed down for another few days especially if we do see any westwards trends.

Posted

Well, will it snow in 'my' back garden or will it be rain.

Why not try the 'will it snow' predictor?

It explains all the bits and is pretty reliable IF the actual ppn is over you. If no ppn is shown then you get nowt anyway.

Link coming up

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
2 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Surface temps 2c below, often 4c below average as a mean, right out to T360. That's a mean of 50 members

Thats a lot of members!!!?..

And all well below!!!!

@mean

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Glacier Point said:

Surface temps 2c below, often 4c below average as a mean, right out to T360. That's a mean of 50 members

Hints of a scandi ridge been thrown up on there too, is this too Early or does it tie in with your thoughts.

Posted

Well, will it snow in 'my' back garden or will it be rain.

Why not try the 'will it snow' predictor?

It explains all the bits and is pretty reliable IF the actual ppn is over you. If no ppn is shown then you get nowt anyway.

Link coming up

one of them, not sure where the other is but pretty much similar in what to use

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Hints of a scandi ridge been thrown up on there too, is this too Early or does it tie in with your thoughts.

Yep, heights significantly higher to our north east in the extended range.  Let's hope this is the start of a trend...

• Like 3

Posted

Yes  just watching the EC mean trickle out and northern Uk esp stays under the influence of the cold trough to our NE- 

Generally a PM flow which is of course good for those further north esp with altitude- should offer snowy suprises as the Atlantic lows zip into Europe on a generally SE trajectory.

I can appreciate its not fabulous for the south but up north i think esp the hills it will be white more often than wet.

PS im still seeing January 1984 to all this!!

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
On 12/1/2017 at 09:58, feb1991blizzard said:

True but its below 1 inch for the vast majority.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-16.51,58.79,447/loc=-73.252,33.936

Lows in coming.

not sure why feb1991 is quoted:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Yep, heights significantly higher to our north east in the extended range.  Let's hope this is the start of a trend...

In the trough...

Screams scandi-heights'  4c below...

@easterly!!! ??

surface temps!!!??

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted

for future reference, when referring to a situation where a potentially exciting scenario turns into disappointment, the term "damp SQUIB" is used. a squib being a type of firework. you can see how a wet firework could lead to disappointment. instead of "oooh!" and "aaahhh!", "meh" or "pffft" would be a more likely utterance from the casual observer.

this is a damp squid- 

tofino-squid-on-beach.thumb.jpg.8b94d134c74587f7aa229281fd0c4147.jpg

i have yet to find a situation where a wet cephalopod would be a good analogy but if i do, i will get back to you.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I'm happy with tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean, it looks generally cold and unsettled beyond the arctic blast..looks pretty wintry to me all in all with no sign of mild returning after this thursday!:santa-emoji::cold-emoji:

ECMAVGEU12_48_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_72_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_96_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_120_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_144_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
25 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I love Steve Murr’s posts, analysis etc, but to be fair even when he does get excited, 9 times out of 10 things still go wrong for coldies.

ukm2.2017121212.168.lant.troplant.prp.fcst.gentracker.png

I'm a big fan of SM as well.

I'm reminded a little bit of the end of 2012 when excitement reached fever pitch and I think we got 'That ECM'

SM had called the shots pretty well as I recall, but then it all went very very wrong, even to the extent that Steve himself threw in the towel.

A few days later we got one of several bouts of glorious winter we were to enjoy in the first three months of 2013. 

Maybe we are in a similar place? I still think the calls on the general evolution are good...the timing is difficult to get spot on.  But if we get what we had back then but commencing four weeks earlier, I'll be a very happy boy trapped in an old man's body!!

Edited by Timmytour
Typos
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Quite interestingly GFS 12z right in the final frames shows +ve heights to our north east with an easterly in the wings, like I say it’s good at spotting a signal far out.

0DF7D5A3-3928-4D6C-90AC-DDF8D594878F.thumb.png.4f5ee1be6c0f46b7247fe17cfef67cc9.png

• Like 1