Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

People commentjng as if the ECM is spot on with the slider low. You really think a model will be spot on with such a complicated setup this far out? Ridiculous! It will be days before that one is resolved. The huge difference in the handling of it by the various models over the past few days should tell you that. Come on, people!

Spot on to demonstrate the last four runs from GFS in ascending order. What does that tell you? *HUGE* uncertainty it will not be till Friday until the models truly have a good handle of it.

BE6A22A9-7CD8-4638-9BF8-3C6B4E0FC225.thumb.jpeg.e10eefbefbc1c291d2fa19d825f21a66.jpegAEA45ABD-AE82-4F07-8731-7D9D34135D3C.thumb.jpeg.443f843fb672f72eca8270ef06112d4e.jpegB7AC20A3-E351-4500-8777-28E85F24BCE2.thumb.jpeg.a72bebf529a84aa94405832ba1d3600a.jpegA28EA0D5-68DD-4733-837D-324A4771EEB7.thumb.jpeg.694b3366ce44e3ece7892adff657633f.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, Daniel* said:

Spot on to demonstrate the last four runs from GFS in ascending order. What does that tell you? *HUGE* uncertainty it will not be till Friday until the models truly have a good handle of it.

BE6A22A9-7CD8-4638-9BF8-3C6B4E0FC225.thumb.jpeg.e10eefbefbc1c291d2fa19d825f21a66.jpegAEA45ABD-AE82-4F07-8731-7D9D34135D3C.thumb.jpeg.443f843fb672f72eca8270ef06112d4e.jpegB7AC20A3-E351-4500-8777-28E85F24BCE2.thumb.jpeg.a72bebf529a84aa94405832ba1d3600a.jpegA28EA0D5-68DD-4733-837D-324A4771EEB7.thumb.jpeg.694b3366ce44e3ece7892adff657633f.jpeg

Greav post Daniel

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Absolutely fantastic Metoffice UK 6-30 days update today -  every year I would always hope December would be cold throughout with the chance of snow as it adds to the festive feeling! 

With what the models are showing for the foreseeable and the background signals it really is an exciting time of model watching. (If cold weather is what you are after)

Looking forward to seeing all the pictures from different areas of the UK and Ireland this month.

Hoping the GFS and ECM start to look similar today and tomorrow with regards to the upcoming cold spell this week. 

Most folk have a bias on here when posting thoughts on different outlooks but why would they not? (It’s a weather enthusiasts forum after all) 

Thank you to everyone who posts on here all year round or during particular seasons - I have been a member since 2009 and still learn new things every year! 

• Like 9

Posted

I agree with Joe b regarding mountains holding and moving the slider's as they cross from the west that's why I think a line from northern Ireland,Wales and SW England will be furthest the slider will get to . Could be wrong but that's my guess

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

re this comment

Maybe the experts could refresh us on how sliders are modelled in regards to their biases? This might give us a hint of what to expect in a few days? 

No model has any bias, all are run with the mathematics to deal with the laws of physics as applied in meteorology. Lows and highs appear/disappear on this basis.

At the risk of causing some dissent another point worth trying to remember. That is compare 00z to 00z and 12z to 12z, not the most recent, that is until the time period gets below, usually, about T=96. Around this time then the more recent data increasingly tends to outpoint this method. 

I quite often see the comment that the models have a “mild bias”

I don’t really understand how this can be since it appears to me they deliver us, in terms of percentage returns, many more “snowmageddon” runs than the actual weather ever ends up delivering us.

One would hope that if the models are programmed with the right algorithmns, they would deliver us the same proportion of the all the weather types we end up getting as they project from however many days out. But, to me, they have a “cold bias”. I cannot help but think there is more excitement to be had from model watching over the years than from watching out of the window!

Let’s hope that this time the weather delivers us what the models, on so many runs, have projected for us in the way of snow.  It will help  avoid the “cold bias” getting worse!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

im not sure the last run from the GFS had this slider crossing the midlands the ECM has been consistantly modeling this on the same path for the past 3 days if you look back a few days the GFS had storm caroline smashing in to northern france which was also wrong its only starting to catch up to the euro models as always

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

gfs-0-102.png?6
gfs-0-96.png?12

06z then 12z. Slightly lower on this run with a little more of a ridge ahead of it. Could try for something akin to the 00z UKMO run?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

A correction west on this run as it stands here:

gfseu-2-114.thumb.png.6f01d3c9cbfc25774409c4f866648772.pnggfseu-2-120.thumb.png.4f9c427dbdc4bce2dfb3fa8aafde50bb.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

UKMO not great at 120 for slider #1

D11E85F3-0BFD-4076-B6C0-09C3531A2664.thumb.gif.3ca7d670a4f16c82300f53817089f6fa.gif

Should we be worried about the PV lobe? :cc_confused:

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

gfs-0-114.png?12 gfs-1-120.png?12 gfs-14-126.png?12
Hmm not quite eh?

That is one long trough going on right there! At least the sliding portion is weaker so less milder air drawn into the situation. With heavy precipitation and the wind kept from the SE across the northern half of the country, quite a large portion of the UK sees a substantial fall of snow although it looks a bit mixed with rain at times at lower levels outside Scotland. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Liking the look of the 12z, could be very snowy from the Midlands north on Sunday on this run. :rolleyes::)

gfs-2-120.png

gfs-2-126.png

• Like 1

Posted

GFS 12z and UKMO both differing again this afternoon, still 5 days out currently.

Models are bound to continue to chop and change as this is unusual setup for the UK.

Posted

Yep as others have already mentioned, slightly better alignment on the slider on Sunday on the GFS. Still looking promising for North of the Midlands. Down South....meh.

UKMO = rank.

Edited by Southender

Posted

gfs-0-132.png?12

Turned out a little better than I imagined with the closed low forming in not a bad position for cold air to filter back in and produce some more wintry weather.

UKMO is pretty ugly this evening as it even looks tricky to get the Euro trough dug-in far south enough from the +120. Feels like we're picking solutions at random out of a hat for the time being.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, warrenb said:

In fact, not just for the slider, UKMO is flattening the pattern

UN120-21.GIF?05-17

A lot riding on the -EPO ridge pulling the western flank of the Canadian vortex back toward the central States. That's what the 00z ECM did from a very similar position at +120.

Edit: Nobody need worry, GEM knows the way :whistling::laugh:

gem-0-120.png?12

You never know though... but yes, not the horse I'd bet on if I'm brutally honest.

Edited by Singularity

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m struggling to see the excitement here. Yes the gfs at 120 offers snow opportunity’s for others but quickly turning back to rain away from the highest peaks. The ukmo is flattening the pattern already. So after the northerly this weekend can’t really understand we’re the excitement is coming from. Will it be cold yes. Will it be widespread snow and locked in cold spell. From my eyes can’t see it. Think looking at the top 3 models the majority of us will be wet and wild. Not snowed under.