Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
1 minute ago, PLANET THANET said:

:rofl:

as long as it doesnt go t*ts up:rofl:

Or B*lls up...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Anyone despairing about the progressive Ecm 12z operational really shouldn't..it goes against other models and the Met Office..see what the mean shows if you see what I mean..about 30-45 mins to go.:)

• Like 2

Posted

the key point is at +168. the low pressure system exiting canada behaves differently between the ECM and GFS

ECH1-168.thumb.gif.56a7fb29c4fe0f08d5e0ce374768f9a1.gif

gfsnh-0-168.thumb.png.41ba4888987b32bebaec9ccc601f0b0f.png

on the ECM, it runs with the jet and blows up as it approaches us. the GFS has it further south and allows more amplification. i would expect adjustments in our favour as i think the ECM has that low a bit too intense.

thought i should add, whichever way it goes, in previous winters, we would have seen this as our 'big chance' for the winter. this time round, its just going to be one of many...

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
9 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Anyone despairing about the progressive Ecm 12z operational really shouldn't..it goes against other models and the Met Office..see what the mean shows if you see what I mean..about 30-45 mins to go.:)

Hi Frosty.

Can you tell me why you think the ECM 12z is progressive?   What if it is bang on the money ?

Posted
17 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Hi Frosty.

Can you tell me why you think the ECM 12z is progressive?   What if it is bang on the money ?

Because it changes the meridional pattern (Northerly flow) back to a flatter less cold / milder westerly zonal flow with depressions pushing in from the west and I think that goes against the general background signals which as far as I know still indicate generally more blocked and colder weather until at least mid dec..if not further ahead..i'm not saying the ecm op is wrong, just that it's unlikely.:)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
7 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Because it changes the meridional pattern (Northerly flow) back to a flatter less cold / milder westerly zonal flow with depressions pushing in from the west and I think that goes against the general background signals which as far as I know still indicate generally more blocked and colder weather until at least mid dec..if not further ahead..i'm not saying the ecm op is wrong, just that it's unlikely.:)

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Dafydd Tomos said:

Same here in Tenby although 10C is possible on Saturday, so much milder than the ensembles show. Well at least apart from a rainy Sunday we should get plenty of winter sunshine :) it's better than mild, wet & windy imo mate

can't see Tenby or Porthcawl managing 10c from that with a wind chill also:cold:

gfs-1-120.png?12

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

I do think some folk over stress the impacts of a warming arctic and the lack of sea ice on the potency on northerly airstreams. These 850hPa temps on GFS 12z for Friday are pretty exceptional, -9C uppers south of the M4. All precipitation will fall as snow away from the coast a white day for some.

EA4C0CBE-B560-4D2A-8FC8-EEE685AEF7D2.thumb.jpeg.c84b727213eb51616180f0d4eedc6823.jpeg

Yes good angle too from the Cheshire Gap, -9 should be okay, although -10 needed off convective NW'ly for my location

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I do think some folk over stress the impacts of a warming arctic and the lack of sea ice on the potency on northerly airstreams. These 850hPa temps on GFS 12z for Friday are pretty exceptional, -9C uppers south of the M4. All precipitation will fall as snow away from the coast a white day for some.

EA4C0CBE-B560-4D2A-8FC8-EEE685AEF7D2.thumb.jpeg.c84b727213eb51616180f0d4eedc6823.jpeg

...and this cold pattern is also helping cool the seas around us, which will it turn lead to colder weather as the winter goes on.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

Something that went under the radar on the ECM was the 100mph gusts over Northern Scotland on Thursday.

Eeek dont say that. Together withheavt snow showers we might get snowed in and .... ok I will stop!

• Like 2

Posted

Tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean shows a good looking arctic blast and thereafter it stays unsettled and generally on the cold side with further wintry ppn and frosty / icy nights..looks a much better profile than the increasingly flatter zonal less cold operational.:)

ECMAVGEU12_72_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_96_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_120_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_144_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I do think some folk over stress the impacts of a warming arctic and the lack of sea ice on the potency on northerly airstreams. These 850hPa temps on GFS 12z for Friday are pretty exceptional, -9C uppers south of the M4. All precipitation will fall as snow away from the coast at least a white day for some.

Id imagine it would fall as snow even right on the coast.

• Like 3

Posted

Just to keep everything clean, the extended eps back end week 2 continue the theme from previous runs with the Canadian lobe edging east and driving the jet ever further east at a slightly higher latitude with the Atlantic upper ridging pushed very close to the uk - bound to be plenty of spread by then and this does offer some support the gfs op far off fi idea of building a ridge up into Scandinavia. 

i would say that the later gefs means/anoms are decent wrt the eps 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, andymusic said:

can't see Tenby or Porthcawl managing 10c from that with a wind chill also:cold:

gfs-1-120.png?12

Was thinking the same! Not sure where 10C came from :D It's shaping up to be a bitter end to the week :cold:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean shows a good looking arctic blast and thereafter it stays unsettled and generally on the cold side..looks a better profile than the increasingly flatter zonal operational.:)

ECMAVGEU12_72_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_96_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_120_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_144_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

Fabulous ec mean matey 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean shows a good looking arctic blast and thereafter it stays unsettled and generally on the cold side..looks a better profile than the increasingly flatter zonal operational.:)

ECMAVGEU12_72_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_96_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_120_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_144_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

The mean is a world apart from the op!!

Much-much better...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening! A potent shot of artic air for all during Friday and Saturday, both ecm and gfs have a messy scenario after that with the Atlantic having some influence .Certainly not mild though as the jet stream even at T+240 time frame shows the jet stream way south of the uk. A few things to note on this upcoming scenario, don't believe the snow charts, expect the unexpected , and computer models will be in a frenzy with any detail.....:cold::girl_devil:

David.png

davidx.png

davidxx.png

davidxxx.png

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

...and this cold pattern is also helping cool the seas around us, which will it turn lead to colder weather as the winter goes on.

As 62/63 has posted the seas around us have cooled considerably, since early November courtesy of several quite potent northerlies. A good thing as it reduces marginality for those on the coast or with close proximity to it, and has a limiting effect probably very slight on the moderation of cold air from the north or east. However, the vigor of convective snow showers may be impacted thus requiring even colder upper air temps to override the cold SSTs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1